Class A Diesel Annual Service

Twotoes

I purchased a  2015 Class A Diesel last Feb and am heading to Phoenix for the winter. I want to do an annual service before I head out again next spring. Would appreciate any recommendations for places to go to for annual routine service. I have a Itasca Ellipse made by Winnabego with a Freightliner Chassis, Cummings 450 HP Motor, Allison Tranny, Onan Genny and Aqua Hot. I am considering going to an RV Dealer, Independent Service Shop, or Freightliner for the service. Also what should the service entail? Oil and oil filter, fuel filter, water filter for the motor, genny and Aqua Hot and what else? What will I be looking at for a normal cost?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Massey Diesel Truck & RV.  We've used them for our annual service (and repairs) since 2012.  Located south of I-10 on 59th Ave.  Service Manager is Tom.  Cost will depend upon mileage, as you may be coming up on transmission service, differential, etc.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for the referral. I called Freightliner and was told zthat for a simple oil and filter change it costs about $350. They also recommend a full 6,000 mile service for about $850. These prices do not includ an oil and filter change for the generator which would add about $150. They do not service the Aqua Hot. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

If you have a good set of records from the previous owner, that is a real plus. If not, assume that everything is in need of 'Re-Baseline' service:)!

A few suggestions of 'what' not 'who':

>Do have samples pulled of oil/transmission fluid (Though your coach should have Transyn, which should be good to go for a few more years.), and have them sent in for analysis

>Have all filters changed, with good quality filters. (And again if no records, include the Air Cleaner in this cycle.)

>At that age, unless you've traveled extensively in humid conditions, the Air Dryer for the braking system should be still OK. (Follow the chassis manufactures recommendation. But I change ours out, in very dry West side of the nation conditions, every 4 years

> Hydro/Aqua Hot should have diesel filter, nozzle, combustion chamber cleaning, and boiler fluid tested at a minimum

I'd look for a shop that can do both your chassis and generator at the same time.(Generator is Oil Change/Filter, Air Cleaner, inspect fan belt, test fluid

(One side note: So inexpensive in the scheme of things, go ahead and have the radiator cap of both the coach, generator and Hydro/Aqua Hot changed out at the same time with appropriate LB's or pressure. Amazing how many 'phantom' problems can occur due to caps going out:)!)

If you're not positive the shop you go for service, and don't forge to have the chassis lubed at the same time, is not comfortable with the Aqua/Hydro Hot - I'd save that for a different shop... 

====

I do not know that region well. But besides input from other's here, you could look at RVSERVICEREVIEWS.COM for shops too.

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have been going to Freightliner/Western Star in Tolleson AZ (just west of Phoenix, off the I-10) for 10 years for diesel chassis service. They get very high marks from RV Park Reviews and others. They are an RV-specific dealership ("Oasis") so their mechanics know RV's. They also have a modern and clean RV parking area with 30/50 Amp electric for customers. The RV service manager is Kirk Ault; his direct line is 623-907-6642.

Hank
SKP 67414  
2005 Mandalay DP (Cat 350)

Hank & Joyce

2019 Phoenix Cruiser 3100

2012 Honda CRV

• 2 weeks later...

Once you're comfortable with understanding what you need each year, consider using Speedco, the Jiffy Lube for truckers.  No appointment, fast service (you can stay in the motor home), and reasonable prices.  I just had my annual fluids & filters (oil change, lube, filter, primary fuel filter and coolant check) at the Spokane Speedco.  I was in and out in one hour and the cost was $245.  Just remember that you'll be entering the bay from the opposite direction than the trucks due to the rear engine, so park away from the entry and check in.  These guys work on diesel trucks all day and are knowledgeable and I've found them to be professional.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

9 hours ago, MeanderMan said:

Once you're comfortable with understanding what you need each year,

And this one is important. I got caught by forgetting one item which is different for diesel than gas so be more careful that I was!

Good to see the MeanderMan back again!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Cummins Coach Care is the only nationwide full service, bumper-to-bumper company dedicated to servicing and repairing motorhomes and chassis. If you only need an oil n filter service for the drive engine and generator engine, Speedco is patterned like a quicklube for cars.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 10/8/2017 at 11:02 PM, Barbaraok said:

But Cummins Coach Care is for CUMMINS only.  If your Class A is older and has a Cat, or some other engine, then you go somewhere else.

True for repairing the drive engine, but they work on ALL chassis, and will do normal maintenance on all engines. That's what I was told by the manager of the nearby shop. When a mechanic passes the tests to obtain their ASE certification it's not for just one brand of engine.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Based on the referral on this forum and great reviews on rvservicereviews.com I have an appointment with Massey's for the motor, chassis and generator service. They don't do Aqua-Hot but gave me a referral for a mobil guy who I called and have an appointment with alsofor that. Thanks everyone for you comments. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Archived