disc brake conversion

Little

This may have been discussed before but a search revealed nothing.

I wish to upgrade my 7000# axles to disc brakes. Someone here must have done this, and I would like to learn from their experience rather than make all the mistakes myself.

Are all avail. disc brakes hyd or are there some with air options?

My electrics are shot and I dont feel like spending $ on something that doesn't work well if there is a better option

Thanks for now, Mark

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

4 minutes ago, Little said:

This may have been discussed before but a search revealed nothing.

I wish to upgrade my 7000# axles to disc brakes. Someone here must have done this, and I would like to learn from their experience rather than make all the mistakes myself.

Are all avail. disc brakes hyd or are there some with air options?

My electrics are shot and I dont feel like spending $ on something that doesn't work well if there is a better option

Thanks for now, Mark

Hi Mark,

I hope Glenn will see your post. I think he made this conversion on his trailer. His handle is, GlennWest. If you don't get enough replies here think about posting your question in the 5th wheel section.

Best of luck with your project,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Performance Trailer Braking (Titan disc brakes) and Mor/ryde both have excellent reputations for doing these conversions.

Performance Trailer (you'll want to speak with Ron Russell) will come to you with one of his regional installation teams.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

On an RV trailer axles air disk won't work BUT, air over hydraulic IE Blue Dot will.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Search this forum for "disc" and you get about 6 pages of posts. RandyA's threads are always good...better than mine anyway cuz I have a poor attitude. Of course you don't have to try this search if you think I'm trying to impose my will on you.

Alan, didn't Glenn convert to bludot?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Yes, I did. Done disc and Bludot same time. Disc very straight forward job. Unbolt old and install new. Bludot, Jack has a great write up on it and that was what I used. My Teton is fused inside front storage. Just removed fuse to disable electric brake current. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

10 hours ago, Big5er said:

Search this forum for "disc" and you get about 6 pages of posts. RandyA's threads are always good...better than mine anyway cuz I have a poor attitude. Of course you don't have to try this search if you think I'm trying to impose my will on you.

Alan, didn't Glenn convert to bludot?

Thanks "Tips" I actually did the search  and found numerous posts about new trailers with disc and the benefits of disc brakes but none on the actual install.

I'd like to know pros and cons of different actuator systems, whether to use bolt on or weld on caliper mounts etc., also manufacturers, distributors, service centers etc.

Headed Jack's way now. Thanks guys. Mark

It would be VERY helpful if we knew what your TV is!

I tow a Montana fiver with a 2012 F350 and converted to electric over hydraulic disc a few months ago.  I did all work myself using Kodiak brake parts and Hydrator actuator that I purchased from trailer.com. My axles are 7,000 lb Dexter. I also upgraded to Timken USA made bearings while doing the brakes. My cost was $1550.00 for parts.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Thanks. Looks like these guys have bolt on kits. I would like to use the air/hyd. system, however then I would be limited as to which truck I could use. I assume you have not had any issues with the electric?  The only difference is I need a 3 7000# axle kit. Do these use standard bearings? I have a call into performance for (2) 3 axle kits. Going to call trailer.com as soon as I sign off here. Thanks again, Mark

I noticed that there is a large price variation in the kits. Basically $235 to$600. Is there a reason to go the more expensive route? I will be doing this on a 40' toyhauler and a 25' stacker. Both have 3 7000# axles. Also is there a 'best' electric actuator?

Just pulled the stacker behind bus to Moab. Brakes were of no real use. Bus has Jake and good brakes, but sudden stop could be touchy, hence the changeups. Thanks again, Mark

Take a look at the Tuson products and see if the benefit is worth the cost to you.  That is the preferred electric controller. And their system is top notch if it works for you.   BluDot is better if you are not going ABS, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

23 minutes ago, noteven said:

One of these threads wouldn't be complete without me asking: "Why can't big heavy RV trailers have air brakes like real trucks?" 

SpaceCraft RV...Bring your checkbook because Master card ain't gonna cover it!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I've had the chance to drive a 63.500 tonne (140,000 US lbs) 8 axle tractor super B double with air disc on all wheels - there is some pretty good whoa power. 

I guess the market for "big rv" trailers is mostly pickup truck tow vehicle oriented. 

It appears Dexter makes air brake axles

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/default-document-library/medium-duty-air-brakes.pdf?sfvrsn=0

And Wabco has a compact design:

Wabco Air disc trailer brake.jpg

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have wanted one of the Dallas Smith rear suspensions forever, early 2000's they won't sell to individuals and, want to sell in numbers.    I have though about buying an old trailer with that set up just for the suspension.    Wabash made some double drop vans back in the 1990's, they are the most common and they are unicorns.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Some outfit "GMC" built a motorhome with axleless rear suspension with disc brakes.  40 years ago. 

Oh but wait... a guy would need mega skid shoes under the ass end for exiting fuel stations which have The World's Steepest Approaches. 

GMC chassis.jpg

GMC rear.jpg

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived