Moki Dugway - OK for 30' 5th-wheel?

canyonier

There is much to do and carry on on the web about the Moki Dugway. 

From Wikipedia article:

History[edit]

The Moki Dugway was constructed in 1958 by Texas Zinc, a mining company, to transport uranium ore from the "Happy Jack" mine in Fry Canyon to the processing mill in Mexican Hat. The State Road Commission added SR-261 to the state highway system in 1957, following its present alignment from SR-47 (now US-163) north of Mexican Hat to SR-95.[5]

This road is on the to do list. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If you are OK with a section of less than 2 lane gravel road that has as steep as 10% grade with tight turns and steep drop offs. I don't think there is a posted length limit, at least not that I can recall. I personally would not drive it in an RV. Stay the night at Goosenecks State Park and explore the Moki Dugway, the Valley of the Gods and the Sand Island Petroglyphs in your tow vehicle. 

• 2 months later...

I drove it this fall with my 26'-overall TT by accident:

https://youtu.be/-uY-FV9bMg8

The  biggest hassle will be meeting oncoming vehicles. We fortunately had just two.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

Most of the way there is plenty of room for 2 vehicles to pass.  For the tight spots, keep an eye out for vehicles a couple of switchbacks above or below you.  Try to anticipate when the two of you are going to meet and pull over in a wide spot to let the other vehicle pass. 

If you are going up, I don't think I would try this w/o 4 wheel drive.  Going up on gravel with 2 wheel drive could be a problem. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived