canyonier

Moki Dugway - OK for 30' 5th-wheel?

It's been several years since I have driven up or down the Moki Dugway. In a few days I will be in the area towing our 30' 5th-wheel South. I would like to know if that road is OK for rigs such as mine? I would be going downhill.

Thanks for your info.

Glenn

There is much to do and carry on on the web about the Moki Dugway. 

From Wikipedia article:

History[edit]

The Moki Dugway was constructed in 1958 by Texas Zinc, a mining company, to transport uranium ore from the "Happy Jack" mine in Fry Canyon to the processing mill in Mexican Hat. The State Road Commission added SR-261 to the state highway system in 1957, following its present alignment from SR-47 (now US-163) north of Mexican Hat to SR-95.[5]

This road is on the to do list. 

If you are OK with a section of less than 2 lane gravel road that has as steep as 10% grade with tight turns and steep drop offs. I don't think there is a posted length limit, at least not that I can recall. I personally would not drive it in an RV. Stay the night at Goosenecks State Park and explore the Moki Dugway, the Valley of the Gods and the Sand Island Petroglyphs in your tow vehicle. 

Edited by trailertraveler

It looks like the logging roads we use....which were made for trucks longer and heavier than we are towing our 35' 5th.......allot depends on pin weight that keeps the rear wheels stuck to the ground 

Most of the way there is plenty of room for 2 vehicles to pass.  For the tight spots, keep an eye out for vehicles a couple of switchbacks above or below you.  Try to anticipate when the two of you are going to meet and pull over in a wide spot to let the other vehicle pass. 

If you are going up, I don't think I would try this w/o 4 wheel drive.  Going up on gravel with 2 wheel drive could be a problem.