Social Security Residential Address

SKP073615

We still had a house when I turned 65 and used that address for applying for my Social Security benefits and medicare.  We are now fulltime and want to start SS benefits and medicare for my wife.  We will also be changing our legal domicile to South Dakota around the same time, but don't have that setup yet.  We will be keeping the Escapees Texas address as our primary postal address.  Has anyone used the Livingston address as the residential address in a SS/Medicare benefit application?  Was there any issue?  We could use our son's address, but that is no more accurate than the Livingston address and he tends to move often.

Thanks for any input,
Art and Barbara

Art & Barbara Berggreen

2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

VisitedStatesMap.jpg.a2e5a08ac67eec0412805f1ed5e54169.jpg

I used Escapees for both medicare and SS. I had no issue at all.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Are you getting a Plan F or G supplemental policy to cover the 20% Medicare doesn't pay?  If so, in what state?   You are going to getting mail from Medicare every few months, so think about where it will go.  Why not just go with everything in Livingston to make your life easier?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

26 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

SS shouldn't be a problem. DW get SS and Escapees address and resident different. Is same state though. Can't comment on Medicare. Will find out next year though

Thanks Glenn!

20 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

I used Escapees for both medicare and SS. I had no issue at all.

Thanks Jack, that's good to hear.

13 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Are you getting a Plan F or G supplemental policy to cover the 20% Medicare doesn't pay?  If so, in what state?   You are going to getting mail from Medicare every few months, so think about where it will go.  Why not just go with everything in Livingston to make your life easier?

I've had a Plan F supplement since I went on Medicare, and we will transition my wife from her current PPO to probably a Plan F and a Part D prescription plan.  Our current legal domicile had remained in California, but we will be looking at supplements and Part D plans offered  in any new domicile state.

Best,
Art and Barbara

Art & Barbara Berggreen

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

This is what I do. No Medicare mail goes to any address.

When a new claim is filed. They send me a email.
All info I then transfer to a spreadsheet.

Go paperless

We have several electronic resources to help you manage your health care better.

MyMedicare.gov

MyMedicare.gov is a free and secure way for you to:

If you don’t have an account, visit MyMedicare.gov, and select “Create an Account.”

Electronic Medicare Summary Notices (eMSNs)

The eMSN is an electronic version of your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) . If you choose eMSNs, you’ll get an email every month with a secure link to your MSN, instead of waiting 3 months for a paper copy in the mail. With eMSNs, you can:

• Eliminate stacks of paper – save or print only what you need.
  • Track your monthly claims and costs.
  • Check your remaining deductible amount.
  • Catch errors in billing and services.
  • Help prevent fraud by making sure you’re billed only for the services you’ve gotten

How to sign-up for eMSNs

You’ll need a MyMedicare.gov account to sign up for eMSNs. Once you have your MyMedicare.gov account, complete these 5 steps between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. (Eastern Time):

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We "moved" from CA to SD as full-timers in 2007.  I had often read/heard that CA, at least at that time, could be very aggressive about going after people who moved out of state w/o sufficient evidence that they "really" intended to move out of the state and were not just trying to avoid CA taxes.  So we moved everything we possibly could to a SD address.  We did avoid any problems with CA and our SD mailing address has provided us with very good service - no regrets.

Ron Engelsman

http://www.mytripjournal.com/our_odyssey

Full-Timing since mid 2007

23' Komfort TT

2004 Chevy Avalanche 4x4 8.1L

We will also be changing our legal domicile to South Dakota around the same time, but don't have that setup yet.  We will be keeping the Escapees Texas address as our primary postal address. 

Social Security will have no problem with you using either a SD or TX address, which ever one is your domicile.  But your statement above is confusing & you may be raising potential domicile confusion, saying your domicile is SD but then using a Tx address for SS. Escapees offers the option to give you a SD address for official domicile items, while keeping your mail through SKP TX.  maybe that's what you meant

Yes you can setup SS to be all electronic communications and auto deposit to your bank. But they still record your official address of record, and in my opinion that should be your domicile address.  check with Escapees consulting lawyer, Shawn Loring for clarification.

Jim

13 minutes ago, JRP said:

Social Security will have no problem with you using either a SD or TX address, which ever one is your domicile.  But your statement above is confusing & you may be raising potential domicile confusion, saying your domicile is SD but then using a Tx address for SS. Escapees offers the option to give you a SD address for official domicile items, while keeping your mail through SKP TX.  maybe that's what you meant

Yes you can setup SS to be all electronic communications and auto deposit to your bank. But they still record your official address of record, and in my opinion that should be your domicile address.  check with Escapees consulting lawyer, Shawn Loring for clarification.

JRP, Thanks for your comment.  We are just in the process of submitting the application for Social Security benefits and Medicare and needed to know if the TX address would be accepted.  Once we establish our SD domicile, we will be changing our vehicle registrations, driver's licenses, insurances, etc. to that state.  I have no problem changing the address on record for Social Security to the new domicile address at that time.  We do plan on using the Escapees SD address for legal domicile, but keeping our primary mailing address in TX.

Art & Barbara Berggreen

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

9 hours ago, SKP073615 said:

We do plan on using the Escapees SD address for legal domicile, but keeping our primary mailing address in TX.

As long as your SS is by direct deposit to your bank you will receive very little mail from them. I have mine on paperless as well and I can't recall the last time I had any paper mail from them. I'm not sure that Medicare won't share that same address, but once you sign up that should be corrected to what you want it to be also. Medicare does continue to send some paper documents.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You have contributed to both SS and Medicare through your FICA taxes over the years, all of which revolve around your SS number, so that is where all information about you is located. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 9/18/2017 at 7:22 PM, JRP said:

As a member of escapees, when we got ready to change our domain from California I called escapees and told them that I wanted to change it to SD.  I was told that our mail would still go to Tx. while our domain would be in SD.  I explained to them that I was not OK with that and that I also wanted my mail to go to SD.  They advised that is not an option so I then went with a mail service in Box Elder, SD.  Just didn't want to take a risk or create any undue issues down the road.  While at an RV Park just outside of Rapid City (there are many in the area) we met two other couples that were doing the same thing for the same reason.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

5 hours ago, JCZ said:

As a member of escapees, when we got ready to change our domain from California I called escapees and told them that I wanted to change it to SD.  I was told that our mail would still go to Tx. while our domain would be in SD.  I explained to them that I was not OK with that and that I also wanted my mail to go to SD.  They advised that is not an option so I then went with a mail service in Box Elder, SD.  Just didn't want to take a risk or create any undue issues down the road.  While at an RV Park just outside of Rapid City (there are many in the area) we met two other couples that were doing the same thing for the same reason.

A couple of questions after reading your post as I have seen where others in this forum split their domicile and mailing address between (2) states.

1.  What would have been the issue for you to have your domicile address in SD and  the mailing address in Tx?

2.  Would it have been more advantageous to have both in Tx or SD?  :huh: 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

16 hours ago, jc2 said:

2.  Would it have been more advantageous to have both in Tx or SD? 

It might be somewhat less complicated to have both in the same state but there is nothing that requires you to use a mail service where your domicile is located. There are many members of Escapees who are using the domicile of Escapees in either SD or FL while most mail goes to the TX mail service and have no problems. The Escapees do this because there are added costs to have 3 mail service locations which would duplicate services. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 hours ago, jc2 said:

A couple of questions after reading your post as I have seen where others in this forum split their domicile and mailing address between (2) states.

1.  What would have been the issue for you to have your domicile address in SD and  the mailing address in Tx?

2.  Would it have been more advantageous to have both in Tx or SD?  :huh: 

I'm not sure there would be one.  However, being from California (my research reflects that California may be the most aggressive state in trying to argue a resident's change of domain) and the fact that my wife still has an internet business that paid lots of state tax to Calif. each year, we just didn't want to take that risk.  We're moving everything to SD.  Tx. would have worked as well but I've read that they have an annual vehicle inspection (revenue generator) and we didn't want to have to mess with that.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

The TX vehicle inspection is  simply not an issue. If you are out of state you simply state so online, and get your registration without inspection. Literally 2 minutes online is what it takes to get your registration renewed and file the inspection "waiver" (which is a checkbox on the registration screen). 

So TX vehicle inspection should not be a factor in any consideration of domicile and domicile selection. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thank you Mr K and JCZ for your responses.  We're trying to get a handle on what we want to do, specifically more with the mail at this time than a domicile address, as last year we filled out a temp address change for our winter in the RGV and left a lot to be desired.  The USPS service in the Mission, Tx area seems to be sporadic at best. 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

4 hours ago, jc2 said:

Thank you Mr K and JCZ for your responses.  We're trying to get a handle on what we want to do, specifically more with the mail at this time than a domicile address, as last year we filled out a temp address change for our winter in the RGV and left a lot to be desired.  The USPS service in the Mission, Tx area seems to be sporadic at best. 

Don't confuse the temporary address change for what happens when you use a mail forwarding system.  Essentially your mail goes to YOUR box, then you instruct the mail forwarder when you want mail forwarded to you, how you want it sent (Priority Mail works best) and where you want it sent.   Then a NEW box (or env) is sent to you with your mail inside.  No cross-out of addresses, etc.  which can lead to confusion.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived