Grey Water Dumping

RangeMaggotBob

I suppose if you are truly boon docking in a remote area with little traffic, a person could dig say a 2' hole and dump your grey/black water into it and recover it when the hole has dried out. This is only assuming you are not violating any direct rules for that area. This pit would be the same as using a septic drain field. In our son's S/B house, I made a septic drain for our camper to use which was 2 plastic pails taped together and a 8' drain tile buried in the back yard. This worked good except when the wife would run 2 loads of laundry back to back. I know it sounds gross dumping sewage on the ground and I don't encourage it, but that's what animals do in nature and on farm pastures.

Greg

On 9/22/2017 at 3:05 PM, Lenny said:

Just wondering if all the RVers in Quartzsite take their gray water to the dump station that stay in LTVA such as La Posa South?????

Especially in a high use area, such as the LTVA areas around Quartzsite, I definitely would NOT dump my gray water in a hole or on the ground.  With all the people there, everyone doing that would quickly make a mess.

In a seldom used boondocking area several miles back a gravel/dirt road, digging a hole a 100 yards away from where anyone would camp, and carrying your gray water in a bucket there, that is much different.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

One RV park in Q actually requested we empty our gray tank on the greenery nearby. I was very surprised at the request.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

as usually always used the grey tank to clean line after dumping blk tank.  but if your grey tank is almost full i don't see anything wrong with dumping some/all of it. soap would prob kill the ants.  an it does seep into ground fast. Altho i WOULDN"T Dump Near a River/Stream.  

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I really like the original posters screen name.  But to his question. . . Here's what I do. 

If I'm boondocking there is probably a fire ring and if not I will build one.  I carry a Home Depot bucket with me.  Before bed, I want to ensure the fire is out.  I have a dump cap with a hose connection to it.  I will fill my five gallon Home Depot bucket once or twice and dump it on my fire to ensure it is out.  The water filters through the charcoal and any food particles that are left on top to be burnt the next day. This won't work for heavy water users, but I travel alone, and this works just fine for me.  I learned this from an old sage that used to post here. 

If there is a burn ban in effect, I will dig a small hole and run the hose to the hole and slowly release the gray water.  Any food particles that are left in the hole, I will cover up.  

I just spent a week at a COE campground and was amazed at the number of people just dumping their gray water on the ground.  In my opinion, this simply attracts ants and varmints to the food particles.  And this is no favor to the next RV'er.

Jim

Jim
SKP: 99693
If you think you can, or you think you can't. . . you are probably right (Henry Ford)
2014 Dodge 4WD Dually
1998 Carriage LS-341

New Mexico Greywater Code

A remarkably simple code, for residences applying less than 250 gallons per day of graywater.
  • Aeration of graywater is not allowed.
  • Unlike some states mentioned later in this chapter, rather than specifying soil loading figures, New Mexico simply states „to ensure that the hydraulic capacity of the soil is not exceeded‟
  • Produce irrigation is not prohibited.

No permit is required.

Section 2. Section 74-6-4 NMSA 1978 (being Laws 1967, Chapter 190, Section 4, as amended by Laws 2001, Chapter 240, Section 1 and by Laws 2001, Chapter 281, Section 1)

L.
shall not require a permit for applying less than two hundred fifty gallons per day of private residential gray water originating from a residence for the resident's household gardening, composting or landscape irrigation if:

1.  a constructed gray water distribution system provides for overflow into the sewer system or on-site wastewater treatment and disposal system;
  2. a gray water storage tank is covered to restrict access and to eliminate habitat for mosquitos or other vectors;
  3. a gray water system is sited outside of a floodway;
  4. gray water is vertically separated at least five feet above the ground water table;
  5. gray water pressure piping is clearly identified as a nonpotable water conduit;
  6. gray water is used on the site where it is generated and does not run off the property lines;
  7. gray water is applied in a manner that minimizes the potential for contact with people or domestic pets;
  8. ponding is prohibited, application of gray water is managed to minimize standing water on the surface and to ensure that the hydraulic capacity of the soil is not exceeded;
  9. gray water is not sprayed;
  10. gray water is not discharged to a watercourse; and
  11. gray water use within municipalities or counties complies with all applicable municipal or county ordina

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We have been RV'ers for many years and always considered dumping the gray tank as wrong we do not do it.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I can't see what dumping of gray water hurts. I am in Quartzsite, Az now camping in an area with a lot of tents. I have notice while walking my dog that the tent campers are crapping all over the ground with toilet paper everywhere. Not even trying to bury it. I seem to think this is far worse! Broken glass, plastic bottles, seems to be a little of everything left behind here at these sites. What happen to pack it in, pack it out, including your toilet paper and crap!

There are BLM employees at the boondocking spots.  You might want to mention this area to them so they can go and check it out.  I don't think tenters should stay on those lands as there's no facilities for them.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 11/21/2017 at 11:01 AM, 2gypsies said:

There are BLM employees at the boondocking spots.  You might want to mention this area to them so they can go and check it out.  I don't think tenters should stay on those lands as there's no facilities for them.

La Posa South BLM allows tenters but they must be within so many feet of a port-a-pot. Billdean's comment must be why.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 4 weeks later...

I always dump at a dump station but I don’t boondock much. If I did I would see no difference with taking a shower outside or just leaving my gray open and let the shower water flow onto the ground instead of filling up my tank. The same with washing dishes. I had a friend who in his S&B had his laundry in a detached garage. He had a drain hose on the washer that flowed onto his lawn to water it. He had the greenest grass in the neighborhood. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You could wash your dishes in a pan and dump that water into your black tank. I believe that would work for most folks. Saves some trips to the dump station.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

6 minutes ago, StarDreamers.us said:

You could wash your dishes in a pan and dump that water into your black tank. I believe that would work for most folks. Saves some trips to the dump station.

Safe Travels!

Umm , wouldn't that be using the same amount of water , requiring the same amount of dump trips ? Maybe more as the black would fill quicker .

Maybe I missed something ?

Goes around , comes around .

21 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Umm , wouldn't that be using the same amount of water , requiring the same amount of dump trips ? Maybe more as the black would fill quicker .

Maybe I missed something ?

Apparently most people fill their gray tanks faster than their black tank. So, dumping dishwater down the toilet would help balance them. Plus the dishwater would have some soap in it which would help clean/lubricate the black tank a bit.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

Apparently most people fill their gray tanks faster than their black tank. So, dumping dishwater down the toilet would help balance them. Plus the dishwater would have some soap in it which would help clean/lubricate the black tank a bit.

Linda Sand

Maybe even help it smell better , too . :)

Goes around , comes around .

• 3 weeks later...

Grey water dumping in dispersed camping   requires environmental considerations:

1. Is it permitted?

2. Utilize only biodegradable soap.

3. Take outdoor showers, there is no one else around. You will not be frightening young children and older horses.

4. Wash dishes in pan and dispose appropriately. SEHC and Chirikawa mention this above  

5. Draining grey water from common outlet pipe will spread black water effluvia. DREED917 discusses this

Reed and Elaine on beach 30 km north of Tulum for next month ir so

i dry camp mostly. never been to qurtsite. 

i spend most of my camp time in the back woods. and grey water is ok to dump. not black. but having a good amount of grey helps at dump time for the black so as to clean out the line.

now with this said.

where i camp the areas get a lot more rain so the eico system is far more robust than a desart. so anything gets cusumed in days not months. why no problem dumping grey there.

but also camping is spread out, not like in a parking lot like place.

couple camps here, one over there a 1/4 mile away, etc.

closest dump station is hrs away.

when i break camp. i even drain my freash water. do to trying to cut the weight for the steep narrow down grade to get back to the hwys.

even... if allowed. burn up some garbage. not all, just enougth to keep "smells" down so to not attract critters.

as a side to that.  keeping a clean camp helps keeps the bears, racoons, yotes, etc.  out of said.

On 1/6/2018 at 7:03 AM, reed and elaine said:

Grey water dumping in dispersed camping   requires environmental considerations:

2. Utilize only biodegradable soap.

Biodegradable to soap is what 4 season is to RVs.   I have container of aluminum cleaner (Hydrofloric Acid) with biodegradable on the label...with enough water it will biodegrade.

Here's some info

http://www.h2o-me.com/smart-water-savings-blog/2009/10/greywater-soaps.html

Oh yeah.....we use a strainer when dumping the dish pan.  

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Archived