Cast iron cookware - Repairable?

Yarome

17 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Could you share please?

Sure! I don't know if he does other folks cast iron goods (vs. ones he picks up and resales) but shot him an email to ask. His contact is jay[dot]muszynski[atsign]gmail[dot]com. He's out of CT and his online handle is "ironspoon". Evidently he's done around 1000 restorations and seems to know what he's doing.

One of the pans (the 1930's one) arrived Thurs. so I went down to pick it up yesterday. HIGHLY impressive! Sit's perfectly flat, a really nice base seasoning and the surface is practically like glass. It looked great in his photos but didn't really do it justice.

I would upload a photo but I guess the forum only allows a max file size of 10kb now. What a JOKE! I sized it down to about the size of a pencil eraser, but evidently that's "still" too large.

3 hours ago, Yarome said:

I would upload a photo but I guess the forum only allows a max file size of 10kb now. What a JOKE! I sized it down to about the size of a pencil eraser, but evidently that's "still" too large.

Thanks for the info. I will wait to see what he tells you before contacting him.

As for the pic, this is why you need an external site for picture storage and linkage. Pics take a lot of space and fewer and fewer forum sites are willing to pay for the storage required.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have never used cast iron. It seems like it would take a lot of heat, meaning a lot of propane, to heat up that thick metal. Is that the case or is one of the properties of cast iron cookware that it heats faster than normal steel cookware? I have a set by Oneida and I love them, AND they are magnetic so they will work fine on an induction cooktop.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:12 AM, Yarome said:

On 9/26/2017 at 7:10 PM, rocksbride said:

But I just have to... how in the world did you crack a CAST IRON pan? 

Oh hardy-har-har... I go on vacation for a bit and you folks start makin' jokes at my expense?! I don't seem to recall, "ridicule is the greatest form of flattery" as being an adage. :lol:

As long as I can entertain all y'alls I guess I'm good, that.

Rocksbride - Watch yourself.

OH! Touchy!  No one was trying to flatter you, Yarome.  Just tease you a bit...  :D  Who knew we could have such great fun over a cracked pan?

Glad to see you've walked out of the woods for a bit and decided to rejoin the convo.

And there's no need to be tellin' tales out of school.  Piping down now.

21 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

I have never used cast iron. It seems like it would take a lot of heat, meaning a lot of propane, to heat up that thick metal. Is that the case or is one of the properties of cast iron cookware that it heats faster than normal steel cookware? I have a set by Oneida and I love them, AND they are magnetic so they will work fine on an induction cooktop.

True, but the best stove top cookware has exceptional heat distribution, which is where cast iron excels. Hard to beat lots of slow heating, slow cooling metal... Think Green Egg.. The VERY worst, in my experience, is glass.. Completely impossible to fry a decent egg in one. Maybe that's why they're no longer on the market..

On 10/8/2017 at 11:25 AM, GlennWest said:

I have welded lots of cast iron. Best results was with 309 stainless rod, tigging. I know nickel is called for but what held with no cracking is 309 Tig.

X2

On 11/3/2017 at 4:12 AM, Yarome said:

I ended up buying a couple of older pans. Ones a 1920's Griswold that's nearly identical to the one I have now. He also had an 1880-1910 Erie in the same size so I picked that one up too. I guess the Erie is also a Griswold but before they started putting their company name on them. Supposedly, the iron is of a much better quality and a smoother cooking surface. Neither was exactly cheap, but the older one was much less and he seemed to think I would like it better. I'll play with them and see which I'll end up keeping.

ERIE are fantastic pans...the DW always said cast iron was too heavy until she she used an ERIE

FYI unlike WAGNER pan the bottom of a ERIE can be warped if it is cooled with water. Turns it into what is called a spinner....spins on a glass top stove 

Favorite Ware "Smiley Face" pans are just a nice as ERIE pans but at 1/3 the price.

On 11/3/2017 at 8:47 AM, Chalkie said:

This is interesting. I have a couple of cast iron pans that I know are very old as both were on my great-grandparents wagon in the Oklahoma Land Rush. I use them but would be very interested in having them "restored".

Full restoration involves either EasyOff oven cleaner or placing the pan in an self (smells allot) cleaning oven (leave the pan to  cool in the oven). The seasoning is 1-3 cycles with a light coat of oil and then cooking the pan in an oven.  

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/cook-it-in-cast-iron/cleaning-and-seasoning-a-cast-iron-skillet

2011 Cameo 34SB3

9 hours ago, J-T said:

Full restoration involves either EasyOff oven cleaner or placing the pan in an self (smells allot) cleaning oven (leave the pan to  cool in the oven). The seasoning is 1-3 cycles with a light coat of oil and then cooking the pan in an oven.  

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/guides/cook-it-in-cast-iron/cleaning-and-seasoning-a-cast-iron-skillet

Thanks for that info. I will try that on a Dutch Oven I have before I commit to trying it on the antique pans.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 11/4/2017 at 6:49 AM, Chalkie said:

I will wait to see what he tells you before contacting him.

Unfortunately, Jay's response was, "I only restore pans I own for a variety of reasons." There are folks that do that sort of thing to one degree or another. Not including shipping both ways the going rate is usually around $20-$40 for a skillet for a basic strip, but most use "backyard" methods that may damage an older cast iron piece.

For a do it yourself job on an antique piece stay away from the oven method. The odds of warping your skillet or getting a bow in your cooking surface are too great. Electrolysis or a lye bath are best but for a gentle strip that most people would have access to is to coat your skillet well with easy-off and seal it in double layered heavy duty garbage bags for 3-4 days, clean with water and steel wool then dry immediately in a medium heat oven. Work it with dry steel wool as needed, rinse and dry again in the oven and finish with a dry 4-aught (0000) steel wool. The oven cleaner process may need to be repeated.

There is going to be some elbow grease involved. Use various coarsenesses of steel wool and work your way down to a 4-aught (0000). Use 3-4 coats of 100% natural organic flax seed oil for your base seasoning and allow it to sit in a well ventilated area for 1 week at room temperature before use. Flax oil is a drying oil that hardens to a tough, solid film after a period of exposure to air. The oil hardens through a chemical reaction in which the components cross-link (and hence, polymerize) by the action of oxygen (not through the evaporation of water or other solvents). Flax oil seasoning is extremely durable, will be completely dry (not sticky or slimy) and is a very good start to the years of seasoning to come.

**Or... if you're not looking to restore one you have and just want a good pan without all the work, you can always go the "lazy man's" routes, like me, and pick up one of Jay's pans that's been professionally restored. I thought mine was rather expensive compared to what I was seeing in the stores, but it was actually a shade less than the one BigTexRex linked to. It looks like those sell for $98 shipped for a 10-1/2" pan (only one size available). If it works the way they say it does, and you really need one that big, it "does" look like a nice pan.

IMHO, "upgrading to a new cast iron skillet design" is debatable.

There might be other older brands that are just as good as the next. I was mainly looking for a direct replacement for the one I have. It's done me right, I know how it cooks and I LIKE it.

20 hours ago, J-T said:

...the DW always said cast iron was too heavy until she she used an ERIE

That's very true. The older pans are much lighter than the new ones. For the same size pan, the new Lodge I picked up is just shy of 1lb heavier than the my old (and new) pan. 

I like the thinner design as well. It takes less heat and less sustained heat to do it's job and is much easier to manage temperatures while still getting the benefits of cast iron.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 8:03 AM, eddie1261 said:

It seems like it would take a lot of heat, meaning a lot of propane, to heat up that thick metal.

Good question. Dunno! I also don't know if LP is more efficient (BTU to BTU) on a lower flame vs. higher or how consumption would compare between cast iron and a modern pan. Do modern pans loose heat faster so it requires a higher flame to keep them to temp?

About all I can speak to is that the older pans are MUCH thinner than modern cast iron. It would seem to at least make sense that they don't require as much heat as the newer ones. With no real personal side by side experience... I would "think" you're probably looking at about an even draw between cast iron and a modern pan. More energy required to heat a cast iron to temp, but less energy to maintain temps for a longer period... vs... less energy to bring a steel pan to temp, but that energy has to be maintained throughout the cooking process. (?)

Just my own personal preference, but I see cast iron as being more versatile as a gas burner/induction/oven/outdoor "do all" type pan over some of the modern day stuff. The biggest advantage though is really "the cook" though. You get one fully seasoned up right and you can't get better flavors out of your food, completely non-stick and clean up is an absolute breeze (aka water conservation friendly ;)).

The biggest drawback being the weight itself and the time investment getting one worked up to where you can actually cook whatever you want in them.

The end of the pan saga....

Kept the Griswold, passed along the Erie... BUT... an unexpected. The guy I mentioned earlier, after hearing what I was wanting, sent a little #5 Griswold along with the Erie. Looks like a TOY pan with barely a 6" cook surface. Come to find out.. it's a PERFECT little sized pan for a solo breakfast and something I never knew I needed. :lol:

Why dirty more pan than is required!? What a concept (darn youngin know-it-alls... bless em)! ;)

P.S. Rocksbride- Notice how artfully I deflected your question back at'cha? :P

17 hours ago, Yarome said:

The end of the pan saga....

Kept the Griswold, passed along the Erie... BUT... an unexpected. The guy I mentioned earlier, after hearing what I was wanting, sent a little #5 Griswold along with the Erie. Looks like a TOY pan with barely a 6" cook surface. Come to find out.. it's a PERFECT little sized pan for a solo breakfast and something I never knew I needed. :lol:

Why dirty more pan than is required!? What a concept (darn youngin know-it-alls... bless em)! ;)

P.S. Rocksbride- Notice how artfully I deflected your question back at'cha? :P

Also, the #5 is the perfect size for cornbread. I use a #5 to make cornbread on the Weber Q...developed a technique where it comes out perfect.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

18 hours ago, BigTexRex said:

Also, the #5 is the perfect size for cornbread. I use a #5 to make cornbread on the Weber Q...developed a technique where it comes out perfect.

That there is just darn ONERY! You can't just make a statement like that n' walk  away, Rex!

It really would! Excellent idea... and I like me some cornbread. You know you GOTTA share now.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :lol:

I do mine in a dutch oven though and isn't sweet or dense (no flour).

• 1 cup course cornmeal
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon of double acting baking powder
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • Bacon grease
  • Diced roasted and peeled Chile to your liking. (I generally cheat and use those peeled green hatch chiles out of a little can)

I'm not sure what the temperatures are, but the fires ready when you can hold your hand 6" or so above for 6 seconds. Lightly coat the inside of an 8-9" tin with bacon grease, place it in the oven, cover, and set your oven to preheat for about 10 minutes... or until the grease just starts to "shade". Pour off any excess.

Does it need to be said that you need to ensure your oven is levelled at that point?

When you pull your lid you want to keep it hot.. whatever works for you. Set it off to the side with a layer of coals or over the fire on a grill rack.

Pour in your batter and cook it uncovered until the edges of your batter start to form a brown crust (10 min?). Put the lid on with a few coals on top (maybe the equivelent of half a dozen briquets, but don't over-do it) and let it cook for 15-20min. Try not to pull the lid too soon, but check it around 15min. It's done when the top is "just" firm and a toothpick will pull out clean.

Pull the oven, leave it uncovered and let your cornbread "rest" a good 5 minutes. Top with your favorites. Melted butter n' honey... grated cheese... whatever floats your boat. A little ground black pepper and grated cheese is real nice.

If you want to get fancy and add a bit of "depth" to your bread... as soon as you pull the lid and it passes the toothpick test... take it out and flip it top down on a preheated grill rack (about 6" above your coals) for just a minute until you start to get some grill marks then return it to the oven (uncovered) to rest. You get a little "smoky" infusion thing going on that's real nice.

To note: It's better to go with a lower heat and cook longer than it is to try and go hot n fast. A larger tin and thinner batter will cook exponentially quicker than you might like. Use a lower heat and longer cook times. The main "keys" being to watch for that initial crust and get it resting as SOON as the top if just firm.

NOW what I'm thining is I could probably cut that recipe in half and it might fit in that #5 just about right. No idea how to do cornbread in a skillet though. :rolleyes: Rex..... ?

4 hours ago, Yarome said:

That there is just darn ONERY! You can't just make a statement like that n' walk  away, Rex!

It really would! Excellent idea... and I like me some cornbread. You know you GOTTA share now.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. :lol:

I do mine in a dutch oven though and isn't sweet or dense (no flour).

• 1 cup course cornmeal
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon of double acting baking powder
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • Bacon grease
  • Diced roasted and peeled Chile to your liking. (I generally cheat and use those peeled green hatch chiles out of a little can)

I'm not sure what the temperatures are, but the fires ready when you can hold your hand 6" or so above for 6 seconds. Lightly coat the inside of an 8-9" tin with bacon grease, place it in the oven, cover, and set your oven to preheat for about 10 minutes... or until the grease just starts to "shade". Pour off any excess.

Does it need to be said that you need to ensure your oven is levelled at that point?

When you pull your lid you want to keep it hot.. whatever works for you. Set it off to the side with a layer of coals or over the fire on a grill rack.

Pour in your batter and cook it uncovered until the edges of your batter start to form a brown crust (10 min?). Put the lid on with a few coals on top (maybe the equivelent of half a dozen briquets, but don't over-do it) and let it cook for 15-20min. Try not to pull the lid too soon, but check it around 15min. It's done when the top is "just" firm and a toothpick will pull out clean.

Pull the oven, leave it uncovered and let your cornbread "rest" a good 5 minutes. Top with your favorites. Melted butter n' honey... grated cheese... whatever floats your boat. A little ground black pepper and grated cheese is real nice.

If you want to get fancy and add a bit of "depth" to your bread... as soon as you pull the lid and it passes the toothpick test... take it out and flip it top down on a preheated grill rack (about 6" above your coals) for just a minute until you start to get some grill marks then return it to the oven (uncovered) to rest. You get a little "smoky" infusion thing going on that's real nice.

To note: It's better to go with a lower heat and cook longer than it is to try and go hot n fast. A larger tin and thinner batter will cook exponentially quicker than you might like. Use a lower heat and longer cook times. The main "keys" being to watch for that initial crust and get it resting as SOON as the top if just firm.

NOW what I'm thining is I could probably cut that recipe in half and it might fit in that #5 just about right. No idea how to do cornbread in a skillet though. :rolleyes: Rex..... ?

Wow, yours is fancy--I feel inadequate.  Mine...

-Preheat the Weber Q to about 350 degrees. I also have a Weber roasting rack (which they don't manufacture anymore) that I put aluminum foil around that's on the grill grates preheating. This provides a heat diffuser to prevent hot spots and cuts down the intensity of the heat on the bottom of the cast iron skillet.

-Mix the cornbread mixture as per instructions.

-I use shortening in the skillet and preheat it for about 3-5 minutes.

-Pour the mixture into the hot skillet.

-Peak under the lid and monitor the progress keeping the temperature below 400 degrees.  I know, through experience, when to stick a toothpick into the cornbread to make sure it's cooked--about 20 to 25 minutes. The trick is to get it at the right moment...still moist, not over done with a slightly crisp bottom.

I love my old 1930's #5 cast iron skillet...they don't make them like that anymore. There are a few modern makers of CI skillets that make a smooth cooking surface. I'm thinking about ordering a #8 from Stargazer.

Rex & Karen

1 hour ago, BigTexRex said:

The trick is to get it at the right moment...still moist, not over done with a slightly crisp bottom.

I love my old 1930's #5 cast iron skillet...they don't make them like that anymore. There are a few modern makers of CI skillets that make a smooth cooking surface. I'm thinking about ordering a #8 from Stargazer.

Ain't THAT the truth! You gotta catch it JUST so. Too long and it will dry out while resting and you end up with nothing but crumbs.

So basically... you use your weber AS your oven. ;) That makes sense! Wish I had a barbeque with a lid. Seems like it would sure simply things. The way I go... if I'm not making a full 2 day batch then it's hardly worth the trouble. If I could just whip up a bit for supper in that #5 I would make it much more often.

I'm really starting to like my little #5 too. I took a look at the Stargazers. I would wonder how thick (heavy) they are, but for a machined cook surface it looks like they and only one other company (that wanted darn near $225 for a single pan) are the only options... other than goin "old". I couldn't use an #8 like that though. The #7 I picked up was right in the ballpark with the Stargazer so I don't feel too bad about it.

I also wonder how well their "no drip" edges worked compared to a spout. If you go ahead with it please report back.

A #7's "just" big enough you can get a fish across, but still small enough for every day use (for me). Not to mention that I had my little custom made grill rack made specifically to fit my #7 and a pot of coffee. I'm stuck with it. :lol:

On 11/19/2017 at 11:25 PM, Yarome said:

A #7's "just" big enough you can get a fish across, but still small enough for every day use (for me). Not to mention that I had my little custom made grill rack made specifically to fit my #7 and a pot of coffee. I'm stuck with it. :lol:

#7 is a nice size. I just bought a #6 Wagner (circa. 1950s) off Ebay...it's about the largest size that will fit on the Weber Q 1200.  It should be in soon and then I'll make sure it's seasoned properly. I'll let you know if I get the Stargazer. 

Rex & Karen

On 11/20/2017 at 10:40 PM, BigTexRex said:

I just bought a #6 Wagner (circa. 1950s) off Ebay...it's about the largest size that will fit on the Weber Q 1200.  It should be in soon and then I'll make sure it's seasoned properly. I'll let you know if I get the Stargazer. 

Nice! Are you a solo as well? I've never had occassion that called for anything larger than a #7. I would be perfectly happy with a #6. I'm also finding lately that I'm reaching for my #5 and have to remind myself that the new (to me) #7 needs to be worked up too. :lol: Who knew?!

I really think those thinner, machined, older pans are the way to go. Just briefly playing with that new lodge skillet... no wonder so many people complain about cast iron. They are heavy, take a ton of fuel to get it up to temp, it's difficult to adjust the heat due to the significant "lag time" and the cook surface is so rough there's no telling how long it would take to get it built up.

• 1 month later...

Archived