Verizon terminates rural Montana accounts

dirtyboots

Looks like Verizon can/will breach any ones 'contract'.  Here's a recent article.

"Montana's U.S. senators have chastised Verizon after the company sent out letters in the past few weeks to hundreds of eastern Montana customers essentially telling them they were getting kicked off Verizon’s cellphone service.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/plan-wasn-t-so-unlimited-verizon-terminates-s-of-rural/article_fc3af9b3-4d69-5073-b24a-df35f70bc165.html

5 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

Looks like Verizon can/will breach any ones 'contract'.  Here's a recent article.

"Montana's U.S. senators have chastised Verizon after the company sent out letters in the past few weeks to hundreds of eastern Montana customers essentially telling them they were getting kicked off Verizon’s cellphone service.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/plan-wasn-t-so-unlimited-verizon-terminates-s-of-rural/article_fc3af9b3-4d69-5073-b24a-df35f70bc165.html

I read the entire article which you linked to.  I didn't see anywhere that it said or implied that Verizon was breaching a contract.  Where did you get that from?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Not that I think Verizon is handing the situation well, but as I recall from their TOS, one of the reasons they can terminate service is for excessive roaming off the Verizon network. That likely does give them a legal out. I would like to see them work more closely with the affected subscribers and the local area cell carriers though, to resolve the situation with less drama.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Not just Montana, they are cancelling customers in other states also and this article has more details - https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/verizon-kicks-8500-rural-customers-off-network-for-using-roaming-data/ .  

Here is another article with even more info - http://bgr.com/2017/09/15/verizon-unlimited-plan-reviews-throttling-problems-2017/ .  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

My cousin was affected by this.  The problem is Verizon has no towers in that area and therefore their customers in that area are always roaming.  I didn't read the linked article, but after my cousin was told by Verizon when she got the letter that she was roaming over 90% (it may have even been 95%, I forget exactly) of the time and therefore was being terminated.  Verizon told her to buy service from the local provider in the area so she wouldn't be roaming all the time.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

This is very understandable to me. I had a local carrier, US Cellular. When I came West it roamed constantly. After a couple of months got terminated. Just got a different carrier. Jfi we a year ago switched from AT&T to Version and really don't see a noticeable difference. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It seems the primary problem in this case is the short notice. The local cell service providers are just not equipped to handle the unexpected influx of a large number of new subscribers. Verizon should have foreseen that, and worked with them in advance of cutting off subscribers for a smoother transition.

Dutch

37 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The local cell service providers are just not equipped to handle the unexpected influx of a large number of new subscribers.

If the Verizon subscribers living there are roaming, are they not then doing so on the towers and equipment of those local providers? It seems that is the reason for Verizon dropping them from service so the only lag for the local providers should be getting them all signed up since their towers are already being used by those people. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, Kirk Wood said:

If the Verizon subscribers living there are roaming, are they not then doing so on the towers and equipment of those local providers? It seems that is the reason for Verizon dropping them from service so the only lag for the local providers should be getting them all signed up since their towers are already being used by those people. 

My understanding from the various articles is that the local carriers do not have the support infrastructure in place to handle the influx. The tower equipment itself may be adequate if Verizon leaves the equipment they supplied or underwrote in place, but that's of little help if the companies do not have the underlying systems capacity to handle the large amount of number ports, possibly new phones if Verizon phones are not compatible or Verizon doesn't unlock the existing phones, and the required back office accounting to accommodate the new subscribers.

Dutch

1 hour ago, secessus said:

Sounds like V shouldn't have sold service in the area to begin with.

Im thinking that they had V before they moved to the area or they went somewhere else and got service but lived in the affected areas.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

12 minutes ago, D&J said:

Im thinking that they had V before they moved to the area or they went somewhere else and got service but lived in the affected areas.

Denny

That does not appear to be the case. For instance:

" Mid-Rivers Communication in Montana sent a similarly passive-aggressive letter to affected customers. The relationships we have with this provider have not changed. Like other small carriers around the US who are dealing with the same issue, we did not know this was coming. Because we have been losing cellular customers to this company’s active marketing in our area for years, we did not have any excessive inventory of devices on hand or other resources needed to support a large influx of new cellular customers.” "

http://bgr.com/2017/09/15/verizon-unlimited-plan-reviews-throttling-problems-2017/

Dutch

22 minutes ago, D&J said:

Denny

This is part of the problem, but not completely.  Normally, Verizon would not be allowed to sell service or issue a phone number in an area where they don't have native service.  With these LTE Rural Agreements, they may have fudged a bit.  Instead of the agreements simply allowing Verizon customers to have service when passing through such an area, it also allowed Verizon to sell service in that area or on the fringes of that area to people who live in the area.

Now, Verizon has decided it is not an attractive business situation anymore and is terminating those plans.  Like it or not, most businesses will make these types of decisions according to what's in their best interest.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

44 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Instead of the agreements simply allowing Verizon customers to have service when passing through such an area, it also allowed Verizon to sell service in that area or on the fringes of that area to people who live in the area.

Now, Verizon has decided it is not an attractive business situation anymore and is terminating those plans.  Like it or not, most businesses will make these types of decisions according to what's in their best interest.

And as Data usage expanded and the Cell Tower became more loaded, the Foot Print of coverage area got smaller and smaller. Thus some fringe area Verizon customers were roaming more.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

22 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

And as Data usage expanded and the Cell Tower became more loaded, the Foot Print of coverage area got smaller and smaller. Thus some fringe area Verizon customers were roaming more.

Verizon customers were always roaming on those rural towers from the time they signed up for the service. That's what Verizon agreed to, and now they don't like the deal they made with the rural carriers.

Dutch

12 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

My understanding from the various articles is that the local carriers do not have the support infrastructure in place to handle the influx.

Just that sentence makes me want to ask how that is Verizon's problem that Bob's Phone Service isn't capable of growing by adding more customers? Doesn't roaming data cost a LOT more than normal data? So these people will likely see their bill cut a LOT if they switch to a local carrier, however long it takes, will save a lot of money. Do these people have internet? There IS voice over IP for home phone but that only helps IF they are using their cell as their only phone, like so many people do now. I had VOIP for a while but I found having a redundant phone in my house was kind of, well, redundant.  I also get maybe 4 calls a month that aren't robodialer calls which I don't answer.

Remember, businesses aren't in business to do YOU a favor. They are in business to maximize profits. Have any of those articles estimated how many customers they are terminating? One of my IT contracts was at a phone company that provided DSL and they made a living by eating small phone companies. Every other quarter we had an acquisition and most of them were NIGHTMARES! And most of them never upgraded infrastructure because they knew they were soon to be sold.

I don't necessarily disagree with Verizon wanting to drop 8500 high roaming usage subscribers to help their bottom line. What I do think though, is that they could have handled it a lot better with much less negative publicity just by working with their partner carriers in advance to help prepare them for the influx, and perhaps spacing out the cancellations over a longer period to ease the pressure. These small carriers are still Verizon partners, and it was Verizon that came to them with the original deal, not the other way around. It may be good business on one hand, but on the other hand, using tactics that draw the negative attention of the politicians that oversee the commission that regulates your industry is likely not such a great business move.

Dutch

Absolutely right, Dutch. And sadly, the state of the businesses in our country. Nobody cares about me, you, us, them, him, her.... Customer care is just gone.

I liken it to the only pizza shop in a town of 2500 people. They can make crappy pizza, overcharge for it, and deliver it "when it gets there" when they are the only pizza game in town. And if their business sags, they can just close up shop and leave the town without a pizza shop. That isn't EXACTLY this situation, but close. Verizon is pretty much saying "Get your service elsewhere and we don't care where, because after this date you are not our problem." Not cool. They'd make a lot more friends if they took the attitude of "Let us help you all we can to find service." There are 2 options for customer service. You can do as much as possible for a customer or as little as necessary. Anymore the latter is the norm.

Reminds my of the old joke (Lily Tomlin on Laugh In?), "We are the phone company.  We don't have to care."

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Remember when Verizon was a phone company providing phones to your home. Verizon's choice was sell the phone system and build out a Data system. So I think of the Cell Companies as data sales and since the cell phone is one of the data movers (Voice and text are data), sell phones that work. So ( Lily Tomlin on Laugh In?), "We are the phone company.  We don't have to care." applies to some customers to keep the others happy.

Windows 10 eats a lot of data and providing screaming is growth in data sales, but someone's planning hasn't provided infrastructure for today. 50 plus years ago the same thing was happening with the phone companies. Many may remember the difficulty making long distance calls at peak times. And then there were days of difficulty like Mothers Day and Christmas. That is what I'm seeing now certain hours of Cell use. 

If the Electric Companies did that you would be in a outage condition quite often. But don't get me started on the health system.

Clay and I have been on earth over 3/4 of a century. Former Mom & Pop phone co's., (several forgotten names) IL Bell, Consolidated, GTE, Frontier, Altel customers

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived