New Mack Video

Sculptor

Mack is the most ergonomically piss poor designed and uncomfortable to drive truck I have ever driven. I spent a day in a brand new day cab a couple of years ago and it was awful. Nothing is where you would expect it to be and the door was so close to the seat my arm would rub on it while driving. The dash is really tall and hard to see over as well. I think they just threw a bunch of switches and gauges at the dash and left them where they landed. The cab is still the same in that new Anthem. All they did was change interior appointments and some of the exterior. I think back to that experience and it really makes me appreciate a Volvo. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

11 hours ago, spindrift said:

OK...gotta' admit that the video choked me up a bit, and it wasn't because of the truck. :)

Yes, agreed.  I am not a country music fan, but that was well done.

4 hours ago, 13speed said:

Mack is the most ergonomically piss poor designed and uncomfortable to drive truck I have ever driven. I spent a day in a brand new day cab a couple of years ago and it was awful. Nothing is where you would expect it to be and the door was so close to the seat my arm would rub on it while driving. The dash is really tall and hard to see over as well. I think they just threw a bunch of switches and gauges at the dash and left them where they landed. The cab is still the same in that new Anthem. All they did was change interior appointments and some of the exterior. I think back to that experience and it really makes me appreciate a Volvo. 

I bought my Mack in 2007, three years before buying the Volvo.  Granted, they're not in the same league, but my Mack is a "base" model while the Volvo was top of the line in it's day.  They are one year apart in age.

I'm not an average sized guy.  Let's just say, at 6'2", I'm short for my weight.  I find the Mack to be comfortable and easy to use.  As a day cab, it's short, so rides a little choppy compared to the "V", but that's expected.  It's also not as quiet, but as I stated above, it's a base model.

In short, I'm very happy with both trucks and if I needed a new work truck, Mack would make the short list.  If you think a newer Mack is uncomfortable, I suggest you spend a day or three in something from the '40s or '50s.  Our '47 KB-6 makes a Mack R model seem spacious.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

This video shows the truck, not the inside of a recording studio. Just like the "new" Cascadia and the "new" Volvo 860, all are just logical updates of designs that have been around for 10-20 or more years. None use any new sheet metal and depend upon a new snout and instrument panel to try to sell the idea that it is a redesign, which it is not. The Mack Vision, then Pinnacle, now Anthem is an ancient design, which if you take a quick look on Truckpaper.com you will see is not selling, with many 2016 and 2017 leftovers available, with FET fully decked out(by their standards) for $125k. What do they always say? Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

6 hours ago, beyerjf said:

This video shows the truck, not the inside of a recording studio. Just like the "new" Cascadia and the "new" Volvo 860, all are just logical updates of designs that have been around for 10-20 or more years. None use any new sheet metal and depend upon a new snout and instrument panel to try to sell the idea that it is a redesign, which it is not. The Mack Vision, then Pinnacle, now Anthem is an ancient design, which if you take a quick look on Truckpaper.com you will see is not selling, with many 2016 and 2017 leftovers available, with FET fully decked out(by their standards) for $125k. What do they always say? Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

All true Jeff.  I have no research to back this up, but I believe there have been many small improvements for the sake of modern convenience and daily operation.  Newer USB ports and LED lighting come to mind.  Applies to the Volvo as well. The term facelift is used sparingly anywhere near this project.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On September 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM, BlueLghtning said:

I love the new look of the front of the MACK truck. 

That's good to hear!  Luke and Sid did a great job.  I like the new looks of both of them too.  It might sound like I'm on both sides of this one but it depends on the subject.  I think this was a great project and the result was a huge improvement over the previous model. 

An all new groundbreaking design never before seen on this planet or any other.... not so much.  But marketing has its place I suppose.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Archived