Arizona vs Texas.. in what order to take steps...

EnjoyTheAdventure

Would love your thoughts... We are Arizona residents selling 2 houses & 2 cars and buying 1 Rv & 1 toad. We are happy to stay Arizona residents BUT once we sell our houses, won't have an address for DL and there is really no reason why we can't switch to Texas since we won't have anything in Az. We homeschool & work on the road so either state works for us but I do not see any reputable mail services in Az & they do not allow PMB addresses for DL. (Not a fan of homeschool laws in SD or FL) We plan to use SKP mail service, so could switch DL, Reg, Ins & residency to Texas. Our first house closes escrow in a month and we plan to purchase the RV before we sell the other house. What I'm confused about is in what order does all of this need to take place???

~RV sales rep says banks do not like to give RV loans if you do not own a home. 

~Real estate agent says do not change your residency in the middle of closing on your home.

~State Farm agent said there is no reason to keep cars registered in AZ if we have no ties or address here (but DL, Reg & Ins all have to match up same address/residency).

~Will we have to get a class A or B DL and take a test in Texas if buying a 32ft Class A with a small toad car??? (weight may possibly be just over 26K, no idea!)

~I was thinking of getting the SKP mail service address & start sending mail there now, THEN once we are done selling homes & cars & purchasing the RV & toad, we can drive to TX & change everything over to TX.. BUT won't that just be extra fees to license a new RV & car in another state all over again??? Then again it could be very expensive to find a place to stay in TX while purchasing an RV. (tent camping has 3 day limit at Rainbow)

Should we just find a way to stay AZ residents OR move over to TX & if so.. in what order to take the necessary steps. 

Would also like info for any September or early October RV driving classes that you know of (will travel for class). We would like more pointers & tips but seems like everything I've found helpful is not until November. 

3 hours ago, EnjoyTheAdventure said:

Would love your thoughts... We are Arizona residents selling 2 houses & 2 cars and buying 1 Rv & 1 toad. We are happy to stay Arizona residents BUT once we sell our houses, won't have an address for DL and there is really no reason why we can't switch to Texas since we won't have anything in Az. We homeschool & work on the road so either state works for us but I do not see any reputable mail services in Az & they do not allow PMB addresses for DL. (Not a fan of homeschool laws in SD or FL) We plan to use SKP mail service, so could switch DL, Reg, Ins & residency to Texas. Our first house closes escrow in a month and we plan to purchase the RV before we sell the other house. What I'm confused about is in what order does all of this need to take place???

~RV sales rep says banks do not like to give RV loans if you do not own a home. 

CONTACT ALLIANT CREDIT UNION, THEY ARE AN ESCAPEE COMMERCIAL MEMBER AND DON'T HAVE A PROBLEMS WITH FULTIMERS. PRETTY GOOD RATES ALSO.

~Real estate agent says do not change your residency in the middle of closing on your home.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. I WOULD ASK WHY. WE ARE IN A SIMILAR SITUATION AND CHANGING OVER TO TX. EVERYTHING IS DONE ELECTRONICALLY NOW SO NO REASON FOR THIS.

~State Farm agent said there is no reason to keep cars registered in AZ if we have no ties or address here (but DL, Reg & Ins all have to match up same address/residency).

AGREE. LOWER TAXES IN TX ALSO. YOU WILL NEED FULL TIMER INSURANCE. CONTACT FCIS OR MILLER(AGAIN ESCAPEE COMMERCIAL MEMBERS).

~Will we have to get a class A or B DL and take a test in Texas if buying a 32ft Class A with a small toad car??? (weight may possibly be just over 26K, no idea!)

I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I THINK ONCE YOU GO OVER 26k YOU MAY NEED A SPECIAL LICENSE. IT IS TH WEIGHT OF THE RV WITHOUT THE TOAD.

~I was thinking of getting the SKP mail service address & start sending mail there now, THEN once we are done selling homes & cars & purchasing the RV & toad, we can drive to TX & change everything over to TX.. BUT won't that just be extra fees to license a new RV & car in another state all over again??? Then again it could be very expensive to find a place to stay in TX while purchasing an RV. (tent camping has 3 day limit at Rainbow)

YES YES YES GET THE ADDRESS AND START CHANGING EVERYTHING OVER TO YOUR NEW ADDRESS. ESCAPEES HAS A FILE ON "HOW TO BECOME A TEXAN". YOU ARE "MOVING" TO ANOTHER STATE, THESE ARE NORMAL MOVE COSTS. NOT SURE ABOUT THE FEES BUT THE BIGGEST ONE IS NORMALLY SALES TAX AND YOU JUST PAY THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STATES NORMALLY. I DON;TsEE ANY REASON TO COME TO TX TO BUY THE RV. I BELIEVE YOU CAN ALSO REGISTER THE RV WHEN OUT OF STATE AND ONLY NEED TO COME TO TX TO GET YOUR DL. I AM A LITTLE FUZZY ON THIS.

Should we just find a way to stay AZ residents OR move over to TX & if so.. in what order to take the necessary steps. 

TX HAS SIGNIFICANTLY LOWER REGISTRATION FEES THAN AZ AND NO INCOME TAX. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO STAY AZ RESIDENTS? I AM NOT AWARE OF ANY SPECIFIC ORDER OTHER THAN GETTING THE ESCAPEE ADDRESS FIRST SO YOU HAVE PROOF OF RESIDENCY WHEN NEEDED.

Would also like info for any September or early October RV driving classes that you know of (will travel for class). We would like more pointers & tips but seems like everything I've found helpful is not until November. 

CONTACT RV DRIVING SCHOOL AND IF YOU NEVER OWNED AN RV BEFORE I WOULD CONSIDER RVERS BOOT CAMP.

We are in the process of selling our house now and will be leaving Sunday to begin our new life. Plan to stop in TX in a month or so and become Texans.

I would not buy an RV in TX since you don't know if it had damage from a flood. Unless you are able to determine this yourself you are at high risk. There are plenty of RVs available in AZ, buy it there and have the dealer register it in TX or at least get a temporary plate and then you register it in TX. I think this can be done. Again, a fuzzy area for me.

1 hour ago, SWharton said:

I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I THINK ONCE YOU GO OVER 26k YOU MAY NEED A SPECIAL LICENSE. IT IS TH WEIGHT OF THE RV WITHOUT THE TOAD.

If you "have no idea" then why reply with incorrect information? It is the weight of the RV and the toad that determine licensing in Texas.

A Class B dl is for a single vehicle weighing in excess of 26001 lbs which can tow a trailer/vehicle less than 10000 lbs.(ie 30000 lb motorhome and a 5000lb trailer)

A Class A dl is required for a combination that weighs in excess of 26001 when the trailer/towed vehicle weighs more than 10000 lbs.(ie 24000 lb motorhome and a 11000 lb trailer)

Both combinations weigh the same, one requires a Class B and the other a Class A.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

First, since you are purchasing a motorhome, you first need to figure out the GVWR (it will be listed somewhere in the RV) of the motorhome.  I'd be very, very surprised if it is greater than 26,000#, especially if this is a gas Class A.   And a small car is not going to be over 10,000#, so you would only be looking at a Class B license.   Again, I'd be very surprised if the Class C regular license isn't all that you will need.

You need fulltimers insurance, State Farm doesn't do fulltimer insurance.   So get quotes from a couple of the commercial Escapees members.

Go with Texas, it will be easier to do, closer to you to get started.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I thank you ALL so very much for all of your help!! 

8 hours ago, SWharton said:

We are in the process of selling our house now and will be leaving Sunday to begin our new life. Plan to stop in TX in a month or so and become Texans.

Congrats!! So excited for you guys & would love to follow your adventure if you are posting anywhere :) I really appreciate all of your help!

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

A Class B dl is for a single vehicle weighing in excess of 26001 lbs which can tow a trailer/vehicle less than 10000 lbs.(ie 30000 lb motorhome and a 5000lb trailer)

A Class A dl is required for a combination that weighs in excess of 26001 when the trailer/towed vehicle weighs more than 10000 lbs.(ie 24000 lb motorhome and a 11000 lb trailer)

Thank you so much!.. I may be completely illiterate but I was interpreting this to mean that if my RV is 24K & toad is 3K, my combined IS over 26K BUT ...Class B- RV is under 26K... Class A- toad is under 10K .... So I may be wrong but thought we could just keep a regular DL :) 

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

First, since you are purchasing a motorhome, you first need to figure out the GVWR (it will be listed somewhere in the RV) of the motorhome.  I'd be very, very surprised if it is greater than 26,000#, especially if this is a gas Class A.   And a small car is not going to be over 10,000#, so you would only be looking at a Class B license.   Again, I'd be very surprised if the Class C regular license isn't all that you will need.

You need fulltimers insurance, State Farm doesn't do fulltimer insurance.   So get quotes from a couple of the commercial Escapees members.

Go with Texas, it will be easier to do, closer to you to get started.

I appreciate all of this very much! I was thinking the same thing.. the RV we want is 24K and the tow is 2,700 so may go over a bit but like you say neither is over on their own. :) 

Another consideration is the states you intend to visit/stay awhile. I was a "resident" of Texas (Escapee mail service address, vehicle registrations and voter registration all obtained in a couple of days visit to Livingston) many years ago when I first came to Washington state. At that time Washington required a person to become a resident (drivers license, vehicle registration, etc.) within 30 days if they did anything that indicated they were permanent (employment, kids in school, social services, etc.). I was a volunteer (not "employed") in a State Park for two years. You had 90 days if you were just visiting. Since I am now an official Washington resident (for several years) I have not kept up with the laws on that, but I believe "visitors" are now governed by "reciprocity" rules. That is, you can stay here as a visitor (not employed, etc.) for as long as your home state allows visitors to stay there under the same conditions. If both states have reciprocity that is more-or-less indefinite. Of course lots of people are full-timers with no "real" (sticks and bricks) permanent home without problems. Just be aware of all the different rules/laws that my apply as you move around.    

Wil and Joanna

Park Model

17' Casita

2 hours ago, wilyoung said:

I have not kept up with the laws on that, but I believe "visitors" are now governed by "reciprocity" rules. That is, you can stay here as a visitor (not employed, etc.) for as long as your home state allows visitors to stay there under the same conditions.

That's the first I've heard of this.  States do have reciprocity rules regarding some things, but I'm not sure what constitutes a visitor is one of them.  I'd be interested in reading any laws concerning this.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

10 hours ago, SWharton said:

So you are saying you need to know the weight of what you might tow before you get a DL? How are you suppose to know that? Do you need to show proof of weight of what you are towing? This does not make any sense............................ 

Makes plenty of sense. Don't you know what you plan to drive and tow? How big is your towing vehicle?  A 10,000lb trailer is fairly big. If you you are pulling a standard size car/1/2 ton pickup truck behind a motorhome which has a GVWR of less than 26001lbs then it shouldn't be an issue. If your motorhome weighs more than that you will need to upgrade to a Class B dl. If you are hauling that car/truck inside a car hauler trailer along with a golf cart or two you may need a Class A. 

Every state has COMMERCIAL licenses that use the same weight criteria...how do you think those guys do it? A dump truck with a GVWR of 54,000lbs needs a Class B. If that is all that person ever drives, he is set. Same dump truck towing a trailer with a big backhoe on it needs a Class A. A 1-ton hot shot truck is fine with a Class C, hitch up to that 30 ft gooseneck trailer with a GVWR of 24,000lbs and suddenly you need a Class A. They know what they plan to haul and license accordingly. Just like any other driver should do. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

18 hours ago, EnjoyTheAdventure said:

. . . do not see any reputable mail services in Az

Then you haven't looked very hard. We just use a mailbox/mail forwarding service in AZ. Been  working fine for a couple of years.

BTW, you sound like you're under 65. If so, what are you doing for individual health insurance?

Finally, have you checked into Nevada as a domicile?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

BTW, you sound like you're under 65. If so, what are you doing for individual health insurance?

Finally, have you checked into Nevada as a domicile?

Zulu,

We have only started investigating domicile and just added Nevada to the mix  (with Texas and maybe S Dakota). Have found lots of info (inc. Escapees) on TX & SD, but little current data on NV. Also under 65 so need to find 2018 health insurance options. Any suggested reliable sources of data, NV domicile and healthcare? Also want to find out if any wacky CA rules wondered over the border!! ;)

I understand that NV has a 30 day in state residency rule for DL proof of residence. A RV Park address on a receipt will suffice. Just need to understand all the rules and options before deciding. Still have time until Spring 2018.!

1 hour ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Have found lots of info (inc. Escapees) on TX & SD, but little current data on NV. Also under 65 so need to find 2018 health insurance options. Any suggested reliable sources of data, NV domicile and healthcare?

The following info compiled from www.healthsherpa.com . . .

Currently, all of NV 17 counties (except Clark and Nye) offer Anthem BCBS PPO plans. The average monthly cost of the lowest cost Bronze plan is $919 (up 14% from last year). This is based on a 63-year old.

Other sources . . .

Kiplinger State-by-State Tax Info

Registration and title fees by state

1 hour ago, TheLongWayHome said:

I understand that NV has a 30 day in state residency rule for DL proof of residence. A RV Park address on a receipt will suffice.

Good to know.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

First of all, welcome to the Escapees RV forums! It is great having you with us.  To help you figure things out there are two documents that I suggest. The first is about the issues associated with a change of domicile and was published in Escapees Magazine. The second is a booklet that is downloadable free from Escapees titled How to Become a Real Texan .

22 hours ago, EnjoyTheAdventure said:

~I was thinking of getting the SKP mail service address & start sending mail there now, THEN once we are done selling homes & cars & purchasing the RV & toad, we can drive to TX & change everything over to TX..

That is what most people would choose to do. It will probably save you significant cost in registration fees

19 hours ago, SWharton said:

I would not buy an RV in TX since you don't know if it had damage from a flood.

A great deal will depend on what you plan to buy, but if an RV has been flooded, it is very unlikely that it could be repaired to a point that it would not show for a price that would be attractive. With the number of vehicles that have been flooded in TX and now in FL you can be quite sure that the shysters who attempt to pawn them off on people will spread them far beyond the borders of the states in which they were flooded so buying in TX is not of a lot more risk than elsewhere

22 hours ago, EnjoyTheAdventure said:

Will we have to get a class A or B DL and take a test in Texas if buying a 32ft Class A with a small toad car?

At 32' in length, I suspect that Barb is correct that you are looking at gasoline powered units? If you are then it is very unlikely that the weight will reach 26,000# and you can easily check that against the gross weight rating (GVWR) listed in the chosen RV as it is posted near the driver's seat in all motorized RVs. I know on no gasoline powered motorhomes in that size range which exceed the limit and only a few gasoline rigs of any size. You probably will not need any special license so with a valid AZ license you should only need to take the written test and an eye exam. 

4 hours ago, Zulu said:

This can be a major problem for traveling RV folks and especially so for families. With current insurance laws, the number of states with many choices for a traveling RVer is becoming very limited. 

Proof of Nevada ResidencyTop ↑

You must present two of the following documents for any original Nevada license, ID or Driver Authorization Card.

Documents must show your name and Nevada residential address.

Original or Certified Copy 
Dated Within 60 Days
Original or Certified Copy
of Last-Issued Document

Documents must be dated within the past 60 days. Original printouts from online accounts are accepted.

• Receipt for the rent or lease of a residence
  • Lease of a residence on which the applicant appears as the lessee
  • Record from a public utility for a service address
  • Bank or credit card statement
  • Employment check stub
  • Document from a state or federal court
  • Record, receipt or bill requesting payment (other than a bill from a medical provider)
  • Record from an educational institution in Nevada which establishes enrollment or an ID card issued by the educational institution
  • Record from a hotel, motel, recreational vehicle park or campground located in Nevada indicating no fewer than 30 days of consecutive residency in this state
  • Voter registration card issued by a county clerk or county registrar of voters pursuant to NRS 293.517
  • Documentation of receipt of benefits from any State of Nevada program of public assistance
  • Leave and Earnings Statement or equivalent or successor form which indicates Nevada residency of an applicant who is a member of the military deployed outside Nevada on active duty
  • Notarized statement from the owner of a residence indicating that the applicant physically resides at the residence
  • Document issued by an insurance agency or its agent, including, without limitation, an insurance card, binder or bill
  • Tax records other than property taxes
  • Record of property taxes assessed or paid
  • Deed of trust or other documentation of a current mortgage
  • Confidential Address Program (CAP) documents issued p

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

33 minutes ago, Zulu said:

The following info compiled from www.healthsherpa.com . . .

Currently, all of NV 17 counties (except Clark and Nye) offer Anthem BCBS PPO plans. The average monthly cost of the lowest cost Bronze plan is $919 (up 14% from last year). This is based on a 63-year old.

Other sources . . .

Kiplinger State-by-State Tax Info

Registration and title fees by state

Good to know.

Thanks Zulu for the links. I hear you are the forum's "designated" healthcare guru!  Congratulations!

Of course Clark county not included!! 72% of the population!  They are still only quoting 2017 prices at this stage, so will have to wait.

I had found the Kiplinger info, but in digging into it found that some of the information was dated (the article is from Oct 2016, research probably earlier). The Tax hungry politicians change tax laws regularly!! But did find one state that did drop taxes (the shock!!). This site seems more current on state sales taxes and also has individual city/county date:- http://www.sale-tax.com/

The Registration& Title Fees site is a great find. I had been wondering in the mire of data on each state site. Legalize and obfuscation appear to be their first language!!

Kirk,

Thanks for the Nevada proof of Residency info. Most states appear to be going this way with 2 or 3 (my last  MDV visit in Colorado required 3).

I use the Escapees So Dakota address and just purchased a Class A last winter while staying in AZ. The dealer gave me a 60 day temporary registration in AZ and I was able to get my permanent registration from SD thru the mail.SD mailed me the plates, no inspection required. No special drivers liscense needed either. You can become a SD resident while your house is selling, stay one night in SD to get your drivers liscense and buy the RV anywhere including AZ and register it in SD. I use Miller Insurance who got me a full timers policy using the SD address. Health insurance is another animal all together. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 9/12/2017 at 1:46 PM, LindaH said:

That's the first I've heard of this.  States do have reciprocity rules regarding some things, but I'm not sure what constitutes a visitor is one of them.  I'd be interested in reading any laws concerning this.

Try this link

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.85

It doesn't define "visitor" but does define reciprocity for non-residents.

Also this does not define "visitor" as such but does define  "resident" (non-visitor) for reg. purposes

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.140

Wil and Joanna

Park Model

17' Casita

Archived