Trip Preps Complete

JPL

We will be leaving for a western run next Thursday. We will leave Chesapeake Va andtake 460 to Roanoke then 81 to 40 and then West to Albuquerque. Then Vegas  with several more stops in Arz and Texas.

I set a couple of goals before we are to leave and I got everything I wanted to get done on the 5er completed. First I wanted to get the 17'5 tires and wheels installed. That happened. Hopefully the 16 ply tires will help us to roll WO issue. I read the article in the March(?) issue of Trailer Life about installing the MORide wet bolt kit for the springs and the MORide 4000 center with the rubber springs. Both have been installed. The next item was to install shocks. I want to thank RandyA for his ideas. I now have 4 Monroe Gas Shocks bolted on. I welded a piece of angle to a flat bar and then welded the flat bar to the frame. One flat bar and angle for each pair of shocks. Shock brackets were welded to the angle. I mocked up a axle and frame location on a piece of plywood and from that I was able to determine what the axle bracket should look like and a location.The shock brackets were water jet cut. Then I made a wooden shock that was in the middle of the shock travel. We were able to correctly locate the axle brackets when  the wooden shock was bolted to angle bracket and the axle bracket was positioned. Location was then known. Brackets were then welded on and then the shocks were installed. Hope all of this helps reduce some of the  bounce.

I guess since I had been paying a lot of attention to the 5er Pats Pride wanted some attention so the power steering box starting leaking. We pulled it off Friday, got one today and tonight the Pride is a Happy Truck! Will do some pms before underway just to make sure we can get to the Balloon Fest in time.

Having been able to get down to Key West last Oct We Pray for all of the people on the Keys and in Fl. With what the limited news and pictures we can see the real destruction is yet to be completely  known so God bless!      Pat

The Old Sailor 

Sculptor    How close to Roanoke do you live? Born and raised there. Joined the Navy in 65 and haven't been back to live there since. My brother still lives there. He and his wife are going with us. They will be in a Explorer so we will have car wheels with us the whole trip. We were going to overnight at the D Day Memorial but if you are close to Roanoke may take you up on your offer. My cell # 757-646-1686. I have a doctors apt this afternoon but should be back after 4.      Pat

The Old Sailor

• 3 months later...

Update     We made our run out west and had a great trip. Almost 8 weeks.Left on the 21st of Sept and  got back the 12th of Nov. Saw some beautiful country But had a transmission issue in Roanoke Va on day 2. Got back on the road on 25th of Sept and never looked back. If you are in the area of Roanoke and need help Western Branch Diesel is the place to go! Great people. I had to get towed to the shop and it cost me $400. When we got bask we had a check waiting on us from Good Sams for the whole $400. Talk About Happy! No help with the trans issue($1200)

I just wanted to comment about the running gear changes we made before we left. I am really glad we added the shocks. That unto itself made the towing much better and I know it was a lot easier on the 5er. The bouncing issue I had was really stopped and the MORide 4000 really made for a much better ride. The wet bolt kit was also installed but I didn't notice any issues so I'll say they helped keep things greased. The 17.5" tires gave  a real good solid feel. I just felt better with them and I did run 6-7 MPH more with them than I did on Our trip last year to the Keys. There were 16" wheels on it before.

So after all of this was done I will say it was worth the work and the expense. I was able to do all of the work at the house so my labor cost was very low. All the parts cost about $600. So I believe I made a good investment . We will be at the ECR and hope to get by Roanoke without any problems! Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived