Brakes in 35'-42' 5r

masterdrago

Have been looking around at several new 5r for our first RV. I've not seen any that have what some of you would call really good brakes. No dual wheel disc like Kodiak already on them. Can someone point me to a brand that comes ready for really safe stopping?

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

I think many manufacturer offer disc brakes as options.  I have upgraded two fivers to Kodiak disc brakes.  Not sure what you mean my "dual wheel" disc.  My upgrades consisted of a rotor and a caliper for each wheel.  If your talking about a fiver with dual tires on each axle (4 tires per axle), I think your out of luck - Newmar at one time offered dual tires on some of their fivers but I don't believe they do any longer.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

We looked at a Redwood 3401RL which has a gross weight capacity of 17,900 pounds. The trailer is 37' long. Sales Manager at the dealership said it has larger drum brakes than what comes standard on others.  You can order the disc brakes as an option but they are not Kodiak's. 

I know disc brakes are preferred but wonder if they are less a concern in a 16,500 trailer compared to one at 20,000 pounds?

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Big advantage of disc brakes is that they do not need adjustments which drum brakes do.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Disc brakes on any wheel/vehicle combination will have a shorter stopping distance than drum.  As already mentioned, DRV is standard with Kodiak disc most of the others can be upgraded with aftermarket Kodiak or Dexter disc brakes.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Drums heat up and expand away from the brake shoes. ....on long down hill grades it is best the keep the application force below 10%.

Rotors (disc) heat up and expand toward the brake pads.

Titan Kodiak has cylinders on one side.

Dexter has 2 cylinders on both sides of the disc.

Tuson ABS is another option.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

9 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

There are several that offer electric over hydraulic disk brakes. DRV is one of them.

River Stone Legacy is another brand that they are standard

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Norman, Okla. (arrived yesterday).   After much research.....Performance Trailer Braking goes to many rallys and installs the disc brakes at the rallys however, I've come to their home base. 

While I've already upgraded the tires, I now have an appt. for tomorrow to get the Titan hydraulic disc brakes installed on my triple axle 5er.  Does anybody else have first hand experience with Performance Trailer Braking?

https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes/?utm_source=TPA On Google Search&utm_campaign=TPA® - Brand&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Brand Campaign&utm_content=Google Search Text Ad&creative=198745983576&keyword=%2Bperformance %2Btrailer %2Bbraking&matchtype=b&adposition=1t1&device=c&loc_physical_ms=9024254&gclid=CjwKCAjwmK3OBRBKEiwAOL6t1Gvoi0f_Hv0RTnEj8x9YsCNrFeCy84LN8wbx-Jf7mkgfNzu5oZv4HhoCJuEQAvD_BwE

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Thanks for the info on some of the 5rs that have disc brakes. It seems those carry a hefty price tag. Looking around, found a place in Weatherford, Texas that gets good marks for work. Looks like an aftermarket upgrade can be had for ~$3500. We have not made the decision on which 5r we are going with but it will most likely be well under $81,000 drive out. We can add the brake upgrade at a later time.

Hey WeBeFulltimers, Can you give me a list of the stuff you replaced? Maybe some links to the hardware? Wondering how many hours did you spend on the ground doing the job? I'm fairly mechanical. Worked in A/C and reefer business 40 years+. Have done brakes on and a few repairs on vehicles over the years. Looking at that conversion job, I might get over my head. Looks like a guy can get the goods directly from Kodiak and HydraStar.

On September 27, 2017 at 5:46 PM, masterdrago said:

Hey WeBeFulltimers, Can you give me a list of the stuff you replaced? Maybe some links to the hardware? Wondering how many hours did you spend on the ground doing the job? I'm fairly mechanical. Worked in A/C and reefer business 40 years+. Have done brakes on and a few repairs on vehicles over the years. Looking at that conversion job, I might get over my head. Looks like a guy can get the goods directly from Kodiak and HydraStar.

I purchased the bearings from Amazon and the rest of the parts from etrailer.com. I used the Hydrastar actuator and Kodiac disc rotors/calipers/lines.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

Don't wait to long if their Lippert axles.  They have a history of the grease seals leaking.  At the time that I had Performance Trailer Braking change my drum brakes to disc brakes a few weeks ago, I had two wheels on one side that the seals leaked all over the brake shoes and one seal on the other side (triple axle) and this is a 2017 model year. 

I also had one brake shoe that much of the brake shoe lining was completly gone.  Not worn away......just gone.  As though it had broken off and fell out....

IMG_6127 brake pad.jpg

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

I'm just curious how you came up with the correct bearing part numbers, Kodiak Brake kit number, etc. I looked at the Kodiak web pages and even emailed them and there was just no way I could determine the part numbers needed for a specific model and brand 5r.

Archived