Urgent! Equifax Data Breach

RV_

Equifax has known about this breach for a month. It affects about half the population of the USA. Passwords, Social Security Numbers, emails, ALL COMPROMISED.

I just started the signup program after clicking on Impact and finding out I was affected. What happens is you can check if you were impacted only. Then they give you a date and you go back to the website and continue there at that time to enroll in free security monitoring to insure no identity theft occurs.

I strongly recommend you go to the website and begin the process as soon as you can.

This is terrible. I now have to prepare to change all my passwords. Fortunately I can do this tediously but easily. The most important ones are pension logins, Social Security Logins, Banking logins, Internet provider logins, GoDaddy logins, PayPal, auto ordering like Amazon, etc.

Go here and start:

https://www.cnet.com/news/equifax-data-leak-hits-nearly-half-of-the-us-population/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

32 minutes ago, RV_ said:

...This is terrible. I now have to prepare to change all my passwords. Fortunately I can do this tediously but easily. The most important ones are pension logins, Social Security Logins, Banking logins, Internet provider logins, GoDaddy logins, PayPal, auto ordering like Amazon, etc...

I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computers and data systems. Curious how Equifax had/has all the passwords for other companies in their data files? 

One notice I read said "Equifax had a massive breach today potentially affecting over 143 million people. Your birth date, Social Security number, address, and driver's license number may be making its way to the Dark Web this moment."

I can see how this information would allow new accounts to be opened and use the can not remember user ID or password functions to access current accounts. I don't see how changing passwords would prevent those kind of attacks.

It is a credit reporting agency and nothing more. What you need to do is to visit the Equifax Cybersecurity site and find out if you may have been affected. If so, follow the steps given to get free credit monitoring, and don't panic! :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

... and don't panic! :rolleyes:

Unless you own Equifax Stock.  The vultures are circling - $70 Billion Class Action Suit!     Way to go - Punish the victim!

(Note that 3 Equifax executives were apparently caught selling their stock after the breach but before a public announcement.)

I disagree that Equifax is a victim, They are guilty of not protecting your and my personal information, and making big profits from it.

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

1 hour ago, mrfrank said:

I disagree that Equifax is a victim, They are guilty of not protecting your and my personal information, and making big profits from it.

Spoken by someone that has never been the object of a data breach.  Anyone that has PnL responsibility makes thousands of decisions every day based on their evaluation of risk vs reward.   After a breach, the vultures swoop in after the fact and place blame with the clarity of 20/20 hindsight.

Time to lay the blame where it belongs - on the bad guys that did the breaching.

Amen on the criminals, including the three executives who look very much like they did some insider trading.

We don't have any facts about how the hackers got in. Was it a one off, custom program, that had exploitable vulnerabilities? Was it through a compromised server?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

6 hours ago, DuffMan said:

Time to lay the blame where it belongs - on the bad guys that did the breaching.

That is true, even if the information could have been better protected. If Equifax should have done more than they did, that doesn't make the bad guys any the less responsible. As far as I have found, there have been no reports of lack of effort on the part of Equifax. They probably could have made it public sooner, but..................  

Read the article on Business Insider about this.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, DuffMan said:

Spoken by someone that has never been the object of a data breach.  Anyone that has PnL responsibility makes thousands of decisions every day based on their evaluation of risk vs reward.   After a breach, the vultures swoop in after the fact and place blame with the clarity of 20/20 hindsight.

I agree that the bad guys are to blame, however I also think that if someone uses my personal information for profit, they owe it to me to guard my information like the precious jewel that it is!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot

Roscoe and Maggie - Rescue Beagles

"I asked God to send us a True Friend. He sent us a Beagle!"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

22 minutes ago, mrfrank said:

I agree that the bad guys are to blame, however I also think that if someone uses my personal information for profit, they owe it to me to guard my information like the precious jewel that it is!

Very well said in once sentence!

And what really chaps my hide is that the Equafax executives dumped $1.8 Million in stocks after the data breach and before they announced it to the public.  Not judging......jusayinzall.....

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/equifax-executives-sold-stock-after-data-breach-before-informing-public-2017-09-07

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

A Progress Update for Consumers

September 8, 2017

We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we’ve made the following adjustments:

1) You Can Determine Your Status Immediately
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2) No Waiver Of Rights For This Cyber Security Incident
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

3) Expanded Our Call Center
We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived