Urgent! Equifax Data Breach

RV_

Equifax has known about this breach for a month. It affects about half the population of the USA. Passwords, Social Security Numbers, emails, ALL COMPROMISED.

I just started the signup program after clicking on Impact and finding out I was affected. What happens is you can check if you were impacted only. Then they give you a date and you go back to the website and continue there at that time to enroll in free security monitoring to insure no identity theft occurs.

I strongly recommend you go to the website and begin the process as soon as you can.

This is terrible. I now have to prepare to change all my passwords. Fortunately I can do this tediously but easily. The most important ones are pension logins, Social Security Logins, Banking logins, Internet provider logins, GoDaddy logins, PayPal, auto ordering like Amazon, etc.

Go here and start:

https://www.cnet.com/news/equifax-data-leak-hits-nearly-half-of-the-us-population/?ftag=CAD1acfa04&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well Equifax is giving you a free credit freeze but the other 2 Expieran and Trans Union want to charge you a fee to put a credit freeze on your credit report.  So much for team players.  They got both mine and the DW's.  Got setup today and will need to finish the enrollment next week.  Not Good.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

...Equifax has known about this breach for a month. It affects about half the population of the USA. Passwords, Social Security Numbers, emails, ALL COMPROMISED...

I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computers and data systems. Curious how Equifax had/has all the passwords for other companies in their data files? 

One notice I read said "Equifax had a massive breach today potentially affecting over 143 million people. Your birth date, Social Security number, address, and driver's license number may be making its way to the Dark Web this moment."

I can see how this information would allow new accounts to be opened and use the can not remember user ID or password functions to access current accounts. I don't see how changing passwords would prevent those kind of attacks.

I am ok with that.  I am not thinking that this will be like hitting the lottery and I am going to make money off of Equifax's screw up.  But you can bet that the attorneys will.  The only folks that make money on class actions are the attorney's and the folks get  maybe pocket change.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

The passwords used for your Experian account is gold since more folks use one password everywhere with only minor variations. Password managers are the answer but the folks who use one or two passwords for all their web biz aren't the types to use a Password manager either.

It's been said that an estimated 60% of Windows users worldwide do not update their systems ever. They just factory restore the systems and say nothing important is on their machines.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

5 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

If you have a Discover Card, they just started a new alert option which monitors Experian for any activity such as new loans, credit cards or mortgages applied for using the social security number on record for your Discover account.

I was going to call them tomorrow.

Discover® Identity Alerts Terms and ConditionsPrint

Discover Identity Alerts are provided by Discover Bank ("Discover"). By agreeing to receive Discover Identity Alerts, you agree to these terms (the "Agreement"). Please review this Agreement regularly because it may change. We will post notice on the Help Center of any modifications we make to this Agreement. We reserve the right to stop providing Discover Identity Alerts to you at any time. 

Discover Identity Alerts provide you with: (a) daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report and an alert when a new account is listed on your report; (b) daily monitoring of thousands of risky websites known for revealing personal information and an alert if your Social Security Number is found on such a website. We will automatically enroll the Social Security Number associated with the Primary credit cardmember for the website monitoring.

This information is intended for, and only provided to, Primary credit cardmembers whose accounts are open, in good standing and have an email address on file. The Primary cardmember must agree online to receive identity alerts and those alerts will be delivered to the primary email address on file. Identity alert services are based on Experian® information and data which may differ from information and data at other credit bureaus. 

Discover is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. 

Who Can Receive Discover® Identity Alerts

You must be a U.S. resident or a resident of America Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands to receive daily monitoring of your Experian® credit report for new accounts listed on the report. Also, you must be at least 18 years old. 

In some cases, you may not have an Experian® credit report, in which case we cannot provide alerts when a new account is listed on your report. For example, you may not have a report because your credit history may be too new; you may have a foreign address; or you may have key information that is mismatched or missing, such as an address change that has not been updated with the credit bureau. 

You must have a valid email address to receive alerts.

Obtaining your Credit Information

You authorize Discover to obtain your credit report and score from one or more credit bureaus. Unless you cancel this authorization, we'll pull fresh credit report information for you daily.

You may cancel your Discover Identity Alerts at any time.

You can get a free credit report annually from Experian, Equifax and TransUnion. For more information go to www.annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.

Privacy

Please see Discover Card's Privacy Policy.

NO WARRANTY

YOU AGREE THAT YOU ASSUME ALL RISK FOR YOUR USE OF DISCOVER IDENTITY ALERTS, AND THAT THEY ARE PROVIDED "AS IS". DISCOVER DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY, ADEQUACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION AND SERVICES PROVIDED AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS. NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND, IMPLIED, EXPRESSED OR STATUTORY INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND FREEDOM FROM COMPUTER VIRUS, IS GIVEN IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE INFORMATION AND SERVICES PROVIDED. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED BY YOU FROM DISCOVER OR THROUGH OR FROM DISCOVER IDENTITY ALERTS WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.

LIMITATION OF LIABILITY

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT DISCOVER AND ITS SUPPLIERS AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND EMPLOYEES WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES RESULTING FROM OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED TO YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCTS, MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS, OR CONTENT EVEN IF DISCOVER OR ITS SUPPLIERS HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF THOSE DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS EITHER DO NOT ALLOW OR PLACE RESTRICTIONS UPON THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF DAMAGES IN CERTAIN TYPES OF AGEEEMENTS; FOR THESE JURISDICTIONS, THE AFOREMENTIONED LIMITATION ON LIABILITY SHALL BE TO THE MAXIMUM DEGEE PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.

Indemnification

You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Discover, its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns from and against any actual or alleged claims or losses arising from, in connection with, or based on allegations whenever made of, any of the following: your breach of this Agreement; your use of Discover Identity Alerts; any claim that your use of your Discover Identity Alerts violates any applicable law; or any claim arising out of, or in connection with, your negligent acts or omissions. This obligation shall survive the termination or expiration of this Agreement. You will cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defense of any claim. Discover reserves the right, at its own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter subject to indemnification by you.

Trademark Information

DISCOVER and the other trademarks, logos, and service marks displayed on Discover Identity Alerts are the trademarks of Discover, its affiliates or their respective third party owners. Under no circumstances may you alter, modify, or change these trademarks. You are prohibited from using these trademarks for any purpose without written permission.

Third Party Beneficiaries

Either of us, including any of the Discover family of companies, is entitled to enforce rights under these terms. Otherwise, no other person or company will be a third party beneficiary to these terms.

Assignment

If we need to, we may assign rights under this Agreement to another party. You may not assign your rights under this Agreement.

Arbitration

You agree that unless you have rejected the arbitration of disputes section of your Discover Cardmember Agreement, that section is incorporated into these terms and conditions and shall apply to any dispute arising from or relating to the product or the content.

2017 Discover Bank, Member FDIC

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

16 hours ago, Chalkie said:

However, Equifax's website regarding this matter states:

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

...The passwords used for your Experian account is gold since more folks use one password everywhere with only minor variations...

This makes no sense to me. Equifax was the one that was hacked. How would they have an Experian password if one even had one? The only interaction I have ever had with any of the three credit reporting bureaus other than checks done by others has been through the free credit report system and I do not believe that requires that you establish a password.

This is at least the third breech that we have been involved in: Target, Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and now Equifax. There have probably been others that we never even heard about.

I enrolled in the OPM fraud monitoring program and put fraud alerts on all three credit bureaus at that time. The few credit cards we have send text and email messages for any online or phone purchases that are almost instantaneous. I just enrolled in the new Discover credit monitoring program. Chase includes one also for my Visa card. Other than signing up for the Equifax credit monitoring program, I am not sure there is much else that can be done.

49 minutes ago, LindaH said:

However, Equifax's website regarding this matter states:

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT
In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

I read an article this morning that indicated that my original link was accurate but has since been changed due to pressures from several states Attorney Generals. Now if they will just prosecute the corporate officers to the fullest extent that they can for selling off stock before announcing the hack.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

27 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Now if they will just prosecute the corporate officers to the fullest extent that they can for selling off stock before announcing the hack.

It's been reported that the executives knew nothing about the breach before the sale of stock.  Excuse me if I'm a slightly bit skeptical about that!  <_<

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Maybe I misread some news reports but I'm a little skeptical about using Equifax's offer to see if my information may have been effected.  It is my understanding you have to provide more information (example, more of your SS#, 6 digits instead of 4) than Equifax currently has to see if you have been impacted.  They did not protect any of my original information provided from various sources (I never directly provided them any information.) and now they want me to give them even more information.  Why should I feel good about this "offer" to get updated data from me?

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

I misspoke trailertraveler. I thought you were referring to Equifax. Experian did not have the breach.

Do you folks know who Equifax is? They are one of the three major credit reporting companies and already have your full social security number. They also have your password for them and many folks use one password for everything, or one with minor variances. Easily cracked. The only folks that gave a password are those who requested a free annual credit report from them.

I know they have one of mine because I just got my free credit reports from all three of the major credit reporting agencies.

Simply put, whether you like them or not, agree with their policies or not, or are suffering from any denial that they have all of your data needed for a full on identity theft your data may have been compromised as of a month ago.

Folks just google it if you need more information.

Linda, I agree. I doubt they did not know when they sold their stock. It looks like insider trading to me. But remember our legislators are allowed to invest while in office and can buy and sell based on information of legislation that would have an effect on the stock price.

None of us like our data breached. I found mine was when I clicked on impact and got a sign up date.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When I try to go to that www..equifaxsecurity2017.com  link  I get the following,  Insecure Connection.   The owner of equifaxsecurity2017.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen Firefox has not connected to this website.

So how do I go about  finding out about my info being hacked and I know I certainly don't have any confidence in their security when I get a reply like this?

Bigjim, just assume that your information was part of the breach.

I spent yesterday, putting a security freeze and a fraud alert on all three credit reporting agencies.  I also did a security freeze at Innovia, another lesser-known credit reporting agency.  I have to go back to that site today to see if I can also do a fraud alert.

I also got my credit report from all three agencies...everything looked good.

Has anyone signed up for one of the identity theft protection with one of these companies?  What's your opinion of these types of companies?  Worth the monthly fee?

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Linda,

How much did it cost to do a security freeze on each of the credit reporting agencies?  How much of a PITA is it to do it, and do you know what the charges are to unfreeze/refreeze if you decide on a new card, etc.?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Well, I do know who Equifax is and am painfully aware of how much of my data they have.  Does it mean that I trust them to use their own product (TrustID) for identity protection.  I don't.  Regarding who has our data, our data is everywhere.  I have a gmail account, had a Facebook account, and I bank online.  There is plenty of data out there for the taking and stealing of identities.  I would almost submit that Google has the same information on us as the three credit bureaus.  Plus, all of them share our information with other third parties to make a dollar.  Can't avoid it.  Read this CNet article last night about the data breach.

Read the full story

Yes, I'll be taking steps to monitor my credit transactions and protect my identity.  At this point, I'm not sure how I will approach it.    I'll continue to follow this thread to perhaps find a good approach.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Barb

The freeze from Equifax is free.  However depending on what state you live in depends on weather the other 2 will charge you a fee.  It depends on the states consumer protection laws.  Some states allow them to charge a fee and some states do not allow them.  Arkansas allows them to charge a fee.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

Linda,

How much did it cost to do a security freeze on each of the credit reporting agencies?  How much of a PITA is it to do it, and do you know what the charges are to unfreeze/refreeze if you decide on a new card, etc.?

It didn't cost me anything to do the security freezes.  We're in Washington State, so that might be different for other states. 

It was pretty straight-forward process...probably took 5 minutes or so for each agency.  Of course, I did it for both myself and my husband, so that would have been a total of 6 freezes plus the two freezes I did at Innovia.

I don't know if there will be a charge for unfreeze/refreeze, but, since we're in WA, probably not.

LindaH
2011 Kia Soul

Hey all,

Saw some questions about the right to sue and the costs to get ID theft protection.

This new from the Equifax website:

A Progress Update for Consumers

September 8, 2017

We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we’ve made the following adjustments:

1) You Can Determine Your Status Immediately
Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2) No Waiver Of Rights For This Cyber Security Incident

3) Expanded Our Call Center
We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived