Disasters Around the Country

gypsydan

I'm wondering what kind of experiences others are having around the country with the incredible time we have been having so far with weather changes. Now we have IRMA following on HARVEYs footstep, battering the south with unbelievable damage. And then we are having the unexpected heat waves and fires in the western states. 

As a DOVE member, I'm working in Missoula, MT, for the Red Cross in their shelters. It is very sad to see the amount of fires in Montana, as well as Idaho. We are seeing new fires breaking out daily, and big fires are merging to create superfires. The air quality in northwest Montana is pretty much Unhealthy to Very Unhealthy, as seen by this link  http://svc.mt.gov/deq/todaysair/AirDataMap.aspx. It is possible air might will hit hazardous conditions over the next week. 

What are your experiences so far?  Any one going to volunteer at the fires in the northwest, or to IRMA and HARVEY, or other places?

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

5 minutes ago, gypsydan said:

Any one going to volunteer at the fires in the northwest, or to IRMA and HARVEY, or other places?

Not us. We don't have skills that would make it worth it to the locals for us to use the limited resources available in those areas. We "help" by staying out of the way and supporting those who can actually help.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We live in an RV community and we put together a truck load of water and cleaning supplies that one of our younger members and his son have taken down to south TX. He got back today and we are working on putting together another load. We are also collecting household supplies that we can take to victims in need once the homes begin to be reoccupied. In addition, several of us are working through our churches to supply needed items. 

I used to be one of the volunteers on scene of any disaster near our location, but 3 years ago while working in the cleanup crew for a major tornado, I came to realize that having passed the age of 70 I am no longer physically able to take the long hours and short nights which are needed in those areas so we now help to collect supplies and see that they get to the areas of need, as well as giving financial aid. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

We live in an RV community and we put together a truck load of water and cleaning supplies that one of our younger members and his son have taken down to south TX. He got back today and we are working on putting together another load. We are also collecting household supplies that we can take to victims in need once the homes begin to be reoccupied. In addition, several of us are working through our churches to supply needed items. 

I used to be one of the volunteers on scene of any disaster near our location, but 3 years ago while working in the cleanup crew for a major tornado, I came to realize that having past the age of 70 I am no longer physically able to take the long hours and short nights which are needed in those areas so we now help to collect supplies and see that they get to the areas of need, as well as giving financial aid. 

Us too! At 74, 2 heart attacks, COPD, asthma, tremors, and old joints that do not cooperate with my brain, I have no business getting it the way and being a burden. What money we can spare is our only way of helping.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We may volunteer in Montana when my works ends on October 15th. But not old enough for retirement benefits so still out working.

We are 30 or so miles south of Glacier NP. There are having a bad time in the park this year. They are really trying to save Lake Mc Donald lodge. Sperry  Chalet was lost to the Sprague fire.

So the smoke is anywhere from bothersome to bad. At times I have seen where you are driving along and seeing ok to saying it is really getting thick. Some times the sun looks like the moon. Just looked out and the some is thick enough that visibility is less than two miles.

So we may volunteer when I get done working.

Safe breathing, . Vern

I'm pretty sure that we are going to Florida in the next couple of weeks and help out for a couple months, maybe more.  I just need to figure out where to stay, as I know that campgrounds will be full of people that live close by and contractors.  Assuming that there are campgrounds that were not effected by IRMA.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived