Bad Dealer Reviews / Financing Question

Xone

Hey guys!

I found a trailer that I love, and I personally had a great experience talking with the dealer for a few hours, but I was mortified when I looked online and saw two pages full of reviews by actual buyers, with horror stories of how terrible and deceiving this dealer is.  Review after review describing "the check is in the mail", no return phone calls, RV's breaking down two weeks after purchase, people driving from other states to find disaster when they get to the dealership, excuses, lies, and money-mongering from this dealer.  Almost every review was TERRIBLE.  Now, I know that mostly it's unhappy people who bother leaving reviews, but this really took the cake.  Would you ever risk doing business with someone who had all but two 1-star reviews?  Again, my experience with them was fantastic, I talked with various department heads for almost three hours, and one of the guys stayed almost an hour after closing just to keep answering my endless stream of questions, even though he knew I was not purchasing that weekend.  But I just can't get over the reviews...

The dealer is offering me a hefty discount if I finance through them, and I'm wondering if it's feasible to first get a loan through my bank, then do the biggest down payment I can at the dealer, and immediately pay off the finance balance (no early pay-off penalties), so that I effectively financed through the bank at the end of the day.  Would this be a good way to grab a trailer from a bad dealer and minimize the potential issues ever working with said dealer again?

The trailer is new, factory-warrantied, and I would never come back to this place for repairs.  Or should I just run, far, to another state, and buy it there?  :P Thanks for any advice!

Xone

I believe if you finance with the dealer and then refinance with your bank you will be financing a used rv. Get preproved at your bank and then see if they meet or beat the interest rate. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

First, welcome to the Escapee forums!

. Unless you have experience dealing with a lot of different dealers I highly doubt that you are a good judge and after working with a sales organization, I can assure you that winning the trust of a potential customer is one of the chief skills for a successful sales rep. 

1 hour ago, Xone said:

The trailer is new, factory-warrantied, and I would never come back to this place for repairs. 

What manufacturer and model of RV is this? Have you checked it out with someone like the RV Consumer Group to see how they rate it for quality, safety, and support?  I have been an RV owner since 1972 and I would not buy from any dealer with reviews as bad as you say you have seen. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I sure would be hesitant to buy from a dealer with that many bad reviews. I also would be hesitant to buy at a hefty discount with financing. I would demand a cash price. Then accept the best financing where ever you can find it. And know that if you take it to another dealer for warranty work you may be put at the end of the line. In the RV industry dealers are not required to do warranty work for RVs bought at another dealership so that can be hit and miss. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

4 hours ago, Xone said:

Hey guys!

I found a trailer that I love, and I personally had a great experience talking with the dealer for a few hours,...  ...Again, my experience with them was fantastic, I talked with various department heads for almost three hours, and one of the guys stayed almost an hour after closing just to keep answering my endless stream of questions, even though he knew I was not purchasing that weekend.  But I just can't get over the reviews...

The dealer is offering me a hefty discount if I finance through them, ...  Would this be a good way to grab a trailer from a bad dealer and minimize the potential issues ever working with said dealer again?

The trailer is new, factory-warrantied, and I would never come back to this place for repairs.  Or should I just run, far, to another state, and buy it there?  :P Thanks for any advice!

Xone

Red flags all over the place. It is the dealer's staff's most important job to give you a "fantastic experience." They are not selling you a trailer, they are becoming your "friends." They sense your enthusiasm for the trailer and play into it 110%. They are schooled, experienced, and good at doing just that. The multi-teaming is part of the schtick. "We will all work do whatever it takes to make you a happy camper." Believe the reviews!

Financing through the dealer, on any automotive deal, is almost universally a bad idea. What they "lose" on the "discounted" sales price they more than make up on the financing. They are in business to make money, after all (or above all). Talk to your own bank or credit union first.

If you "would never come back to this place for repairs" why would you want to buy a very expensive piece of rolling stock from them? Where will you take it for repairs? Would the factory honor the warranty where you would like to take it? Some (most) are pretty picky about that.

Shop around and get some experience dealing with dealers. They are 99.5% used car dealers at heart. Take whatever they say with a huge helping of cynicism.

Wil and Joanna

Park Model

17' Casita

Rule #1,Do not fall in love with anything with wheels on it. Shop around and find what you like and then look at the used market.there are some very nice units out there for a very good price.When you find one you like, hire a good inspection done by a good inspector.The things he finds that are a problem give you leverage with seller to lower his price.Then offer a really low buying price.You never know,he may take your offer.Worked for me!!!! Rule #2,See rule #1.

"Rule #1,Do not fall in love with anything with wheels on it." Actually, it should be "Rule #1,Do not fall in love with anything." Reputation of the seller is everything. As wilyoung said, sales people are trained to make you feel good about whatever it is they are selling. No matter what it is, someone else sells the same thing. I suspect that if you could talk to those who posted the reviews you would find that they all felt they were getting a great experience - until they handed over their money.

FWIW, I'll buy accessories at CW (tire covers, for example) but not an RV, nor will I have them do any work on my coach. I'm sure that there are some great CW stores, but I've never heard of any. I have heard lots of horror stories about them.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

3 hours ago, kb0zke said:

I'm sure that there are some great CW stores, but I've never heard of any. I have heard lots of horror stories about them.

I only know how this ONE treated me, and it was the worst customer experience I have ever had. And I am 66!

And it's not over. BBB is next, followed closely by the Ohio State's Attorney General.

Archived