Dreaming...

Intrigante

I've wanted to FT for as long as I can remember. Things are finally shaping up to where I think I can actually do it. My major issue right now is selling my apartment.

I had hoped to do this with my significant other but we are pretty rocky right now. I have decided to do it with or without him. I'm changing my desire from a 5th Wheel to a small Class C because I just don't want the added expense of a truck if I have to go it alone. I'm headed out to Hershey, PA for the show next week and I'm really looking forward to it even though I think I am leaning towards used.

So much to learn. I set a goal to hit the road May 2018. 

We know a lot of single women who've gone with a Class C or a small Class A and just tow a car behind.  New systems make towing a car very easy (I hook ours up alone) and when you stop in rest area, or for the night, you do not have to leave your rig if it is raining, etc., to go to the bathroom, get a drink, etc.   Don't go to small, you want enough room to make you feel comfortable.   Do look at some of the newer small Class As - they have a much better view of the road which a lot of people appreciate.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We wish you well in your search for the RV for you.  We chose a Class B+ so we would have the entertainment center over the cockpit instead of a bed and it fits our needs perfectly. These guys will be at the Hershey, PA show  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/ .  Be sure to take a look at how the Phoenix Cruisers are put together.  We bought ours pre-owned since a new one was out of our budget; but have had tremendous support from the service dept. on some repair issues.  This company survived the RV economic downturn by being smart and making a good RV.  They don't sell through dealers...only factory direct with warranty work covered if you use your local trusted RV repair shop or, of course at the factory in Elkhart, IN.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

Thanks! Will definitely look into these as well. I saw a couple Class Bs at an RV show last year but they seemed too small (especially the bathroom). I'm a big girl. :) Once we decided on the 5th Wheel, we never really looked at any others. So excited to realize that there are so many more options open for me.

Going FT means different things to different people and different RVs will best serve different travelers.  You need to think about the FT lifestyle you want to lead.  For some FT living is not much different than living in a mobile home.  Many spent long amounts of time in a single location.  That usually also means hook ups, space and the comforts equivalent to a brick and mortar home.  I live in an RV, FT or PT, in order to travel and experience new and beautiful areas.  Lots of travel means I am willing to compromise and pick a smaller RV.  Lots of travel means I often stay in locations without hook ups and without space for a large RV.  My wife and two cats, and I got along fine living in a truck camper for a couple of years and now spending months as PT travelers.  We have the comforts we need such as full Queen sized bed, 3 burner stove, refrigerator, toilet, wet bath shower and dinette.  We have a system that handles most electric needs except for cases when we need the generator for A/C.  We have given up the idea of a built in laundry, slides, large screen TV, recliners, etc.  Think about your needs and plans before shopping.  Sales reps are skilled in selling you more than you need or want.

7 hours ago, Intrigante said:

Thanks! Will definitely look into these as well. I saw a couple Class Bs at an RV show last year but they seemed too small (especially the bathroom). I'm a big girl. :) Once we decided on the 5th Wheel, we never really looked at any others. So excited to realize that there are so many more options open for me.

Don't confuse a B with a B+.  That + is there for a reason.  Here's an example.  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/2552.html  There will probably be one to look at at the Hershey show.  I think there is a guy on the forum named Paw Paw who wants to sell his 2011 Model 2551. . .just sayin' that they're out there.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

21 hours ago, Jeff & Suzanne said:

Don't confuse a B with a B+.  That + is there for a reason.  Here's an example.  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/2552.html  There will probably be one to look at at the Hershey show.  I think there is a guy on the forum named Paw Paw who wants to sell his 2011 Model 2551. . .just sayin' that they're out there.

Plus few Bs have a slide and that makes a lot of difference too.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I am an older woman who has been full-timing for five years in a large Class C.  I tend to keep on the move, staying from a couple of days to a week or two at mostly state and national parks.  I do not tow a car, but I do have an electric bike for exploring very close places and getting around campground.  Also, I work online so don't need to workcamp.  That is my RVing style and it affected my choices when I bought my motorhome.

So, what is your goal in going full time?  Do you want to see the country?  Visit all the national parks?  Or do you just want to find a commercial RV resort with a pool and activities and spend a couple of months there?  Think about how and where you want to travel, and that will be your "style." 

A motorhome is good for people like me who like to keep moving because the hookup is so easy.  Most of the time I do not have full hookups, so getting ready to go means two minutes for turning on the engine and hitting the slide buttons.  Another four or five minutes to unplug the electric and and unhook a water hose, if I happen to have water hookup.  Toss things from the counter into the sink and retract my TV--ready for the road!  On the other hand, if I wanted to workcamp or stay in one spot a long time, a tow vehicle or even a trailer and truck would make sense. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived