Scheduling stops

Nomad Hiker

On 9/7/2017 at 10:30 AM, rm.w/aview said:

Perhaps enjoy New Mexico by using their State Park Pass... $225 for a year of free camping. Even using it for 1/2 year is about a dollar and a quarter per night and up to five and a quarter if you spring for some luxury.

I'll check into that!  Thanks!

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

12 hours ago, Solo18 said:

This year, I am having an early Christmas with one family in California, then flying out to visit the other family and leaving my RV at the Las Vegas Airport. 

You can leave your RV at the airport????  Please tell me more.

Happy Trails,

Jim & Ginger/Nomad Hikers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Retirement 12/2016

Full-time 04/2017

VanLeigh Vilano/Ford F350

Blog site - https://www.trailer2trail.com/

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trailer2trail

1 hour ago, Nomad Hiker said:

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, rm.w/aview said:

Perhaps enjoy New Mexico by using their State Park Pass... $225 for a year of free camping. Even using it for 1/2 year is about a dollar and a quarter per night and up to five and a quarter if you spring for some luxury.

I'll check into that!  Thanks!

Much of New Mexico gets colder than many RVers like during the winter. Even if you don't stay all year, the New Mexico Camping Pass is one of the better deals out there and it is no secret. In our experience since 2004, the New Mexico State Parks are getting more crowded every year. The basic site fee for a non-utility site at New Mexico State Parks is $10. So, the break even point is 18 nights for residents and 23 nights for non-residents. The pass gives a $10/night discount for sites with utilities if they are available at the park. The camping pass also covers free entrance (generally $5) to those New Mexico State Parks that charge an entrance fee. There is also a park entrance pass for $40. The passes are good until the end of the month of purchase, so if purchased on the first of the month they  are actually good for 13 months. There is a stay limit. Here is a link to the regulations which read: "Campers may reside in a park for a maximum of 14 calendar days during any 20-calendar day period unless the director otherwise decreases or waives this limit. Campers shall completely remove camping equipment and gear from the park for six calendar days during the 20-calendar day period. Campers can go to another park for six days, then return."  

A number of states have annual camping pass programs and annual entrance pass programs. Some are available to non-residents, some are not. Ohio even gives discounts to Passport America members at several of their state parks for stays in the middle of the week. If one is going to spend any significant amount of time in one state and enjoys staying at state parks, it is worth doing some research.

Yes, you really can leave your RV at the airport.  In fact, many have signs directing you to "Oversized Parking."  You do need to find the phone number of the airport parking office and ask where such parking is and what they charge.

My favorite is Orlando.  Just follow the signs once you get into the airport.  It will direct you to the a driveway between the two big economy parking garages.  Take your ticket and go into the outdoor economy parking lot and just find a spot.  There are no specific RV spots, so you will have to take up 4-5 spots, making sure you are pointing your vehicle so you can easily get out if someone parks in front of or behind you.  I like Orlando because all the parking shuttles drive past the place where big vehicles are parked, so that is good security.

I have parked twice at Salt Lake City, and followed the signs for oversized vehicle parking.  It is just a row in the regular economy parking lot.  Except, both times I parked there, the row was filled up, so I looked around and found another row with big vehicles and parked there.  Las Vegas airport has two areas--one for each terminal.  One is larger, but I ended up in the smaller one.  No one was parked within the lines, but I just parked parallel to another vehicle so both of us could get out.  Her is a link to the Terminal 3 oversized parking--https://www.mccarran.com/Parking/T3Oversize.

Anyway, I do not trust parking lots outside the airport because I have heard bad things about security.  Anyway, call the airport and ask where you can park an oversized vehicle and see what they say. 

What month is this September, but wait we're having Chrstmas next Sunday.  Northern Illinois is no place we want to be in December.  We'll be with DD1 in Tampa then.  DD2 gets mom for three weeks now DD1 only gets mom from Dec24 to Jan 2. There may be a flight to either or both sometime next spring. Telephone calls and facebook messaging seems to be a daily activity.  

Occasionally one will find their way to where we have settled for awhile.

We spent at least 6mos volunteering 3 up north and 3 down south plenty of time to wander around in between. The campgrounds arn't as full then.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

Archived