BC Hwy 99 to 97 from Vancouver and other passes

SWharton

We are planning a trip to Alaska next year and were thinking about taking Hwy 99 from Vancouver to Hwy 97. After doing some reading I am thinking this is not a hwy I want to take  with a 36' MH+toad. I have read about a lot of switch backs, 15% grades etc.

Has anyone gone this way and would you do it again?

Does anyone know how to find info on passes in BC and Alaska? I haven't looked for Alaska yet, but can't find much on the road grades and passes.

The section from Pemberton - Lillooet is also know as the Duffy Lake Rd.

When we are doing a trip up North we take our time driving 99 North and come back on Hwy1 Fraser Canyon south. Both are scenic drives.  What the Duffy has in twists and turns makes up for in the lack of congestion (rat race) and commercial vehicles that Hwy#1 has.   

Edit: Added links

http://www.hellobc.com/british-columbia/transportation-maps/driving-routes.aspx

A side trip to Gold Bridge?

http://www.hellobc.com/british-columbia/transportation-maps/driving-routes/74/duffey-lake-hurley-river-road-loop.aspx

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Wow, thanks for all the sites. I guess I have a few days of researching to be done. I was hoping to find a site like Mountain Directory for the states which makes it simple to see the passes. I hadn't any concerns until I saw a picture for a 15% grade supposedly on Hwy 97, 4-5 km long. Don;t think I want to tackle that in a MH. 

• 3 months later...

I RVed around BC for a number of years and word of mouth was to avoid Hwy 99 east of Whistler - so we took the advice and never went that way. I always took Hwy 1 up to 97. The route up 97 to the Alaska Hwy is a great drive, especially northern BC and Yukon. Very scenic and lots of wildlife.

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

On 9/7/2017 at 12:57 AM, SWharton said:

Wow, thanks for all the sites. I guess I have a few days of researching to be done. I was hoping to find a site like Mountain Directory for the states which makes it simple to see the passes. I hadn't any concerns until I saw a picture for a 15% grade supposedly on Hwy 97, 4-5 km long. Don;t think I want to tackle that in a MH. 

Yes, it is mountain driving.  Lots of switchbacks with very sharp immediate inclines once you turn the hairpin corner.  It was not fun.  Intense driving (and some cursing) made it a less than desirable route.  I'd avoid that experience in the future (including the cussing) and do a more relaxed less stressful route - that's all.  Probably personal preference.

Archived