Pilot & Flying J

freestoneangler

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

That is in compliance with the Federal labeling requirement. Some states have stricter requirements. I have seen stickers on pumps that say 5-10%, 11-20%, etc.

Be that as it may, it is does not comply with what I want to know. As I previously stated, my experience is the higher the bio level the lower the miles per gallon, so I want to know what I am getting up front without having to figure out down the road "Well that must have been B20". 

Before I got a truck that would actually handle (i.e., was certified) higher than B5, a label like that would have sent me looking elsewhere for fuel.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

17 hours ago, Chalkie said:

While that may be true, I have found that the higher the percentage of bio the lower my fuel economy.

I also noticed at the last Flying J we stopped at the pump said the bio content could be between 5% and 20%. That did not impress me at all as I would like to know what I am getting. 

Go to Flying J/Pilot web site and click on the top "Fuel Prices"
Then input the state you are in & the location station you are at.
On the far right you will see the "Intended Bio Blend" for that station.
Not necessary the blend to a tested % blend. But what they intend for it to be.

Kind of like a lot of Internet services. They may say your speed will be up to 25Mbps.
But they really are saying it could be lower also. :)

Your lower MPG is because at 100% a gal.
Diesel fuel has 128,488 BTU per gal.
Bio fuel has 119,550 BTU per gal.

You might have to slow down a little to get the same MPG as with no Bio added.
If you average 65 MPH slow down to 55-58 MPH and your MPG may stay the same or even better with the added Bio. :)

OH!! Don't forget that using Bio, your filters may need changing more often for a while after first using it.
It will clean your tank and fuel lines of gunk. :)

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

1 minute ago, freestoneangler said:

The Fed's demand more efficient, higher mpg engines, while at the same time lower the fuel efficiency... what am I missing here? 

Political discussion?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

19 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Political discussion?

I am not an admin but I do not see it as a political discussion since this drive for increased fuel economy has been ongoing for a long time across all the political party spectrum. 

And his statement is true, nothing political about it. We are being asked to increase our fuel economy and at the same time use fuels that burn cleaner which happen to decrease fuel economy. It is quite the Catch 22 and until some kind of scientific breakthrough comes along it is one I guess we will all have to live with.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I need to tell everyone that I add veggie oil direct to my fuel tank. Straight out of the container form Costco.

I know I am bad for doing this,.     Maybe not. Eleven years of adding veggie oil at up to 10 percent .

I use to recycle oil but decided against that.

Stay Safe,.    Vern

28 minutes ago, Wrknrvr said:

I need to tell everyone that I add veggie oil direct to my fuel tank. Straight out of the container form Costco.

I know I am bad for doing this,.     Maybe not. Eleven years of adding veggie oil at up to 10 percent .

I use to recycle oil but decided against that.

Stay Safe,.    Vern

And , you've never been caught ? I bet your fuel tank smells like McDonalds parking lot on a hot sunny day . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

On 9/13/2017 at 9:21 AM, richfaa said:

Truck stops like FJ/ Pilot offers a convenience that makes travel easier for us.FJ/pilot  is preferred  because of the facilities in most  cases. The fuel perks are a plus. We do not boycott any business or individual .We go were we want and use what we need.Makes life easier.

What additive does that station use to replace lost lubricity during the refining process that remove sulfur? Bio-diesel in  the cheapest and provides the most lubricity. The minimum percentage is 2%/B2 and does not require any labeling to identify percentage or even that the fuel contains biodiesel.

You may find this fuel lubricity additive study interesting. Note- every brand below #13 performs worse than no additive to straight  #2 diesel fuel.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't understand why a lot of people are afraid of using any biodiesel. I have run as much as 99% bio and so has my daughter in her truck along with my son in his VW. Yes, the fuel mileage went down slightly from 20 mpg to 17 mpg in my case, but that was it and the exhaust did not smell good to me at all. All three engines did run smoother with a slight loss of 'get up and go', but not enough of a difference to be any sort of a problem.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

Archived