Pilot & Flying J

freestoneangler

I see that our Good Sam membership affords fuel discounts at "select" Pilot & Flying J truck stops.  I'm curious what your experience has been in getting these discounts. On the Flying J website, they show a list of participating locations. Only the Yuma AZ is listed... seems pretty limited.

http://images.goodsam.com/goodsamclub/pfj/pfj_diesel_discounts_2017.pdf

Also, do you need to have a Pilot or Flying J credit card, or can you just use your GS membership card with a debit/credit card? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All Pilot Flying J owned stations apply the discount, but independent dealers are a some do, some don't situation. The majority of PFJ stations are PFJ owned...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

21 minutes ago, whj469 said:

That amount of discount is not enough. It would have to be way more then 8 cents to be in the ball park. I but diesel for a lot less.

for "a lot less" than what?  Where do we buy diesel for a lot less when traveling across this country?

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

I have two problems using biodiesel in my Cummins ISC diesel. 1) my Silverleaf indicates that I get poorer mpg using biodiesel by approximately one-half mpg in normal terrain and poorer than that when in the high altitudes of the Rockies where we spend a significant part of our summers. 2) I don't want biodiesel in my tanks when we sit for weeks at a time in the winter. My concern here is with gelling and gumming my filters and injectors. I'm certainly not an expert, but these are my experience and concerns. I also noticed of late that Pilot stations don't always have the most competitive pricing. We just returned today to our winter habitat of Jojoba Hills SKP Park followig our summer travels.  Once we crossed the boarder back into California, I noticed than  the fuel quality must be better as the price immediately  shot up a dollar per gallon over the price just across the line in Arizona. As always,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

6 hours ago, Orvil Hazelton said:

I have two problems using biodiesel in my Cummins ISC diesel. 1) my Silverleaf indicates that I get poorer mpg using biodiesel by approximately one-half mpg in normal terrain and poorer than that when in the high altitudes of the Rockies where we spend a significant part of our summers. 2) I don't want biodiesel in my tanks when we sit for weeks at a time in the winter. My concern here is with gelling and gumming my filters and injectors. I'm certainly not an expert, but these are my experience and concerns. I also noticed of late that Pilot stations don't always have the most competitive pricing. We just returned today to our winter habitat of Jojoba Hills SKP Park followig our summer travels.  Once we crossed the boarder back into California, I noticed than  the fuel quality must be better as the price immediately  shot up a dollar per gallon over the price just across the line in Arizona. As always,  oRV

The price difference "over the border" has nothing to do with quality. A major chain will use the same fuel from the same refinery from state to state, subject to regional blending requirements. The price difference is due to the state fuel tax variance, or IFTA, and of course, local market pressures.

6 hours ago, Orvil Hazelton said:

I have two problems using biodiesel in my Cummins ISC diesel. 1) my Silverleaf indicates that I get poorer mpg using biodiesel by approximately one-half mpg in normal terrain and poorer than that when in the high altitudes of the Rockies where we spend a significant part of our summers. 2) I don't want biodiesel in my tanks when we sit for weeks at a time in the winter. My concern here is with gelling and gumming my filters and injectors.  As always,  oRV

Good Luck on finding any chain Truck Stop that doesn't have Bio added to their Fuel.
If you really research they are some. But they are getting to be a very low percent of the stations.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have found T/A Petro to be be #2 diesel no bio we are currently in New Mexico. I don't know for how long it will stay that way. I can tell what the bio % is by my milage. I'd be surprised to find that bio diesel run in the engine will meet the emissions standard due to the decrease in mpg. The lobby's 2% is B*lls**t. not real world numbers.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

A note to Jaydrvr:  please understand that my reference to pricing was made tongue in cheek.  I purchased my diesel fuel in Arizona of course, not the Peoples Republic of California.  I AM a Texan, not by birth, but by choice!

I have found no difficulty in finding non-bio fuel wherever I go.  I will purchase 10% or less bio-fuel when necessary. I have experienced no problem with fuels containing this percentage or less. 

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

Please, do your home work. "Gas buddy" shows the fuel prices in the area you are in. Murphy stations (Wal Mart) is many time $0.30 cheaper than Flying J. 

Many other stations in the area is less expensive than Flying J. Find it on "Gas Buddy" then look at Google Earth to see if you can get into the station.

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

If you are pulling a car, cheaper is not always better.  Almost all Murphy stations are too tight with car attached, and we usually fuel up just before stopping for the night.  We look for stations where we don't have to unhook, like RV lanes when possible.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I certainly agree with Barb, above.  Too many times I've tried to save a couple of pennies per gallon by trying to purchase my diesel at a "gas station".  What a mess: first an idiot pulls around me and parks . . . OK, I get out fifteen minutes later;  next, perhaps some clown parks improperly, blocking me in.  No, I purchase my fuel at truck stops, from the trucker lanes.  Most of them are professionals and act accordingly.   I must admit here, I spent more than forty years as a professional bus and truck driver, so I admit to being prejudiced.   I only wish that I could solve the dilemma of the high flow pumps "burping" out fuel all over me as well as down the side of my coach. Oh well . . . there will always be inequities in life. As always,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

If you are pulling a car, cheaper is not always better.  Almost all Murphy stations are too tight with car attached, and we usually fuel up just before stopping for the night.  We look for stations where we don't have to unhook, like RV lanes when possible.  

A few years back when Murphy's were giving a 10¢ discount with a Walmart gift card I filled up with fuel at a few Murphy's that had diesel. In FL., GA., and a couple other states. In my MH pulling a toad. Some stations it was tight. But their diesel pumps are on the outside Islands(my fill is on the passenger side) and after I was full. I could drive forward all the way around the backside to exit with no problem. Google Earth was a good friend then also. :)

369070033.jpg

9 hours ago, Biker56 said:

A few years back when Murphy's were giving a 10¢ discount with a Walmart gift card I filled up with fuel at a few Murphy's that had diesel. In FL., GA., and a couple other states. In my MH pulling a toad.

We are shorter than you now and we could back if need be, even so, we prefer those outside pumps too when getting diesel and we did the same with our gas motorhome when we were towing. If we go to Flying J we use the RV pumps as do many folks in pushers. A motorhome towing a car can use the fuel islands with just a little bit of planning, as those powered by gasoline prove every day. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I use truck stops to fuel up due to having tanks on both sides. I need to use a slave pump as pulling out and coming back into the pumps from the opposite direction is not an option.

Flying J/Pilot with RV Islands have slave pumps.

369070033.jpg

49 minutes ago, Biker56 said:

Flying J/Pilot with RV Islands have slave pumps.

They have pumps on both sides at the RV Islands, but only a few are slaves anymore.  Since upgrading, we've noticed that most are now separate units, meanly you would have to swipe twice.   

The old Flying J station in Amarillo has (don't know if they have upgraded it yet) slave pumps and we ended up behind a guy (with someone behind us so we were boxed in) who didn't understand what a slave pump was - - he was standing there yelling at his poor wife about the fact that there was no place to swipe his card.   I went up and explained it was a slave pump and got the weirdest look, but he finally calmed down and did exactly what I told him to do,  and start pumping.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Orvil, do some checking as Stations are not required to post Bio content if 5% or less.  So while you may think you're getting 100% #2 Diesel, it's more than likely that it's only 95% with 5% Bio.  Greater than 5% is labeled, generally stateing "Contains 5 to 20% Bio".

We're almost 60' so trying to get into and out of a typical station can be a trip in it's self.  We have the RV Plus Card which gives us the 8 cent off the cash price, but also lets me start the pump, get my fuel, write down amount, price per gal, and total and leave, no need to go inside unless you want a hard copy receipt.  Been doing it this way for the past 4 or 5 years and never a problem.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

I think Flying J's have a dedicated RV island Pilot's don't. We are a gas rig and 35' plus a Jeep Wrangler 4 down. This summer I  was pulling a 24' enclosed trailer instead of the Jeep. We were almost 65' so had to be more careful where to buy gas. Google maps was very helpful with getting a look at the station.

Jeff     :)

Tina and Jeff

Class of 2011

"RV there yet?"

2005 Gulfstream Endura

and a 1987 Jeep Wrangler

http://rvtravelswith...a.blogspot.com/

We use FJ/ Pilot almost exclusively .We have the RV plus card with 8 cents discount on Diesel. Easy in easy out many have RV pumps  plenty of parking room  the food is not bad if needed. and there are plenty of them all over the country.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Archived