RV Weights

Chad

In planning for our future RV purchase, the weight specs are super important as our plans include a hydralift and 930lb motorcycle.  I've done the calculations for one RV we've been considering (Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40E/D), measuring the distance from the rear axle to center of gravity of the bike and hydralift, and the lift and bike add about 2000 lbs to the rear axle (leveraged force is higher than the actual weight added).  Obviously, every rig will be different depending on the distance from the rear axle to the back of the rig / lift.

It seems getting any kind of data on what an RV's actual empty weight is out of the factory is impossible.  I've emailed manufacturers and they seem to not want to share this information.  I get that every RV is different.  But it seems strange that RV's aren't weighed when completed and ready to send to the dealer, and this information posted or recorded somewhere.  Seems that this would be mandatory to show that the RV manufacturer didn't overload the chassis.

Is there any good source for this?  Comparison shopping, I can obviously get all of the weight ratings, but not knowing the starting load on the rear axle, I have no idea if any given rig has the weight to spare on the rear axle.  

Love to hear thoughts on this...

Thanks!
-chad

In reading on RV forums I get the impression that it is not recommended to try to carry a heavy motorcycle on less than a good sized tag-axle coach because of the leveraged weight.  It is often recommended that instead you consider a motorcycle trailer. 

Art & Barbara Berggreen

2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

VisitedStatesMap.jpg.a2e5a08ac67eec0412805f1ed5e54169.jpg

I'm not sure if they still do so, but Newmar used to run each motorhome over a scale as it left the assembly line but they are the only company that does, and I can't guarantee that they still do so. There may be others that do, but I know that most do not do so. That is the reason that so many of us advise against paying any attention to the unladen or dry weights found on dealer stickers and paperwork. The only way that I know of to get an accurate weight is to take the RV to a scale. 

Since you aren't likely to be traveling with your motorcycle on the lift with an empty motorhome, it is best to use the GVWR as the weight to calculate with. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 minutes ago, Chad said:

It seems getting any kind of data on what an RV's actual empty weight is out of the factory is impossible.  I've emailed manufacturers and they seem to not want to share this information.  Correct - they do not.

But it seems strange that RV's aren't weighed when completed and ready to send to the dealer, and this information posted or recorded somewhere.  Seems that this would be mandatory to show that the RV manufacturer didn't overload the chassis.

At the end of the factory line, some are weighed and some are calculated weight. Then the appropriate Compliance labels are printed based on these numbers. (i.e. MH CCC Label) But all that is needed for this label is the Gross weight. Since June 2008 there were regulations added that required proper CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) numbers. 

Is there any good source for this?  Comparison shopping, I can obviously get all of the weight ratings, but not knowing the starting load on the rear axle, I have no idea if any given rig has the weight to spare on the rear axle.  

It is highly unlikely that you could get the starting load on the rear axle from them. Doubtful that this detail of weights are done. There is at least one trailer manufacturer that gives unloaded wheel position weights.

The only hope you might have is to get in touch with an HR engineer and that is highly unlikely.

As Kirk stated do a test drive of the model and include a trip to the nearest CAT Scale where you can get front and rear axle weights.

Love to hear thoughts on this...

Thanks!
-chad

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Yea.. I get that a super beefy tag axle vehicle would be great...   So would winning the lottery to buy it... :)  

For now, I'm concerned with the lack of weight data.  Are tag axle vehicles the only contenders?  I have no idea without the information.  I got some data from a current owner on what they weighed in at on a comparable model and it seems like it would work but be tight on specs.  When I mentioned this to a sales guy, he said they could beef up the suspension and tires for a bit more leeway.  Sounds valid. 

I guess I'll have to wait till I'm ready to buy and drive it to the scales before I commit.

1 minute ago, SWharton said:

if you contacted Smartweigh they might be able to enlighten you, or at least give you ball park numbers.

The problem with that is that those would almost always be all loaded vehicle weights and would not be helpful for Chad's intention.

You have no idea how those people loaded them.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

When I mentioned this to a sales guy, he said they could beef up the suspension and tires for a bit more leeway.  Sounds valid. 

Don't get taken in by salesman BS. That is what that was as there is no way to change the designed axle weight ratings. It involves a lot more than different tires. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am thinking with their knowledge they might have a ball park number. The other problem is  with that much weight you are signicantly reducing what else you can carry. I would lean toward a trailer, most MHs can tow 5000-10000 lbs. safely. I am assuming you are not going to tow a toad also.

With that much weight and probably not having a tag axle, a trailer or a toy hauler would is probably the best solution.

Yes.. we are planning on towing our Jeep Cherokee also.  I've seen tandem trailers but damn that's a big thing to lug around and find a place for everywhere we go.

Looking at class A toy haulers as plan B.  But not a lot of selection in that arena and they seem to be gas vs diesel.   Looked at a Thor outlaw today and they are ok, just not what we had in mind.  From what I've read, Thor doesn't have a great reputation also.

Any other options out there I'm missing for Class A or C toy haulers?

Chad,

Your in the same boat as I am.  I have a 930 pound bike and would love to take it with me.  I do have a lift installed but the weight of the bike and the lift overloads my rear by 1200 pounds when I am travel ready (full water, propane, stuff).  I choose NOT to bring the bike on cross country trip due to overload issue.  I do, however, take it on short (under 200 mile) trips.  So far no issues but I am only about 600 pounds over on those short trips.

I have been looking at an Idaho Tote as an alternative.  Google Idaho Tote and you will see they are simply an extension of your MH and you can still tow the jeep.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

14 hours ago, lenp said:

Chad,

Your in the same boat as I am.  I have a 930 pound bike and would love to take it with me.  I do have a lift installed but the weight of the bike and the lift overloads my rear by 1200 pounds when I am travel ready (full water, propane, stuff).  I choose NOT to bring the bike on cross country trip due to overload issue.  I do, however, take it on short (under 200 mile) trips.  So far no issues but I am only about 600 pounds over on those short trips.

I have been looking at an Idaho Tote as an alternative.  Google Idaho Tote and you will see they are simply an extension of your MH and you can still tow the jeep.

Lenp

Very interesting, Lenp!  Never seen that before. Wonder if there any strange legal issues with what technically looks like a trailer pulling another trailer (assuming Jeep as Toad)?  Certainly gets the bike load off the rear axle.

Curious.. What are the weight specs for your rig (GVRW and GAWR-rear)?

Side question to anyone out there...  Recommendations on 5th Wheel toy haulers?  Already have a Jeep Cherokee in anticipation of Plan A (Class A / Hydra-lift), so it would mean trading that on a truck.  But it's still doable.

The only MH toy hauler we've found is the Thor Outlaw.  They have a Class A and Class C, but they are both gas and very limited in living space and configuration.  So, I think we're going to scrap that idea and bump the Fifth wheel toy hauler up to plan B.

Chad, 

Everything I read says the Idaho Tote IS NOT a trailer, thus eliminating the double tow issues.  It connects to the motorhome (or fifth wheel trailer) like a hydralift (i.e., two receivers) and is really an extension of the RV.  Think of it as a hydralift with a crazy wheel (or two) under it.  You can still tow a toad or another trailer behind your hydralift so why shouldn't you be able to tow one behind an Idaho tote?  Only thing you need to watch is overall length.  Some states limit you to 65 feet.

You can also look at Swivel Wheel trailers here:  http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvb7naOK1gIVx7XACh1ijgFhEAAYASAAEgKcf_D_BwE&_rdr

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Another interesting option!

After some looking at 5th Wheel toy haulers, I think we're leaning that direction.  It will allow us to get on the road a LOT earlier and, really, that's what it's all about.  Getting the freedom WITH the toys! :) 

Archived