New 5er - New Hitch - New Tires?

cwr

Greetings,

I am purchasing my first 5th wheel trailer in about a week.

It is a 14,000 lb GVWR Grand Design Reflection.

My main question is - would it be advisable to replace the Westlake ST235/80R16 tires that come with the trailer right off the bat? This is going to be our full-time home, so I'm just trying to fend of any problems ahead of time if I can, but of course I'm on a budget, too.

Still trying to decide on the hitch; I know there are a million opinions out there. I think I've narrowed it down to the Trailer Saver BD3 or the B & W Companion with some kind of air-ride pin box. I did a lot of looking at the Andersen Ultimate, and I really, really like what is going on there, but there are a few things I don't like about the idea, so I'll stick with a traditional system for now.

Has anyone used a Trailer Saver air ride hitch (or similar) in conjunction with a Mor/ryde rubber pin box? is this advisable and/or worth the added expense?

Thanks!

Charlie

Full-time nomadic, self-employed Xscapers!

Why do you want to put a different tire on your 5ver? The tires maybe be the weak link for your 5vers rating, but it will not change what you are plated at.  I have read where people have put bigger rims and tires and air bags on there truck to carry a heavier load.  But it is not safe in my book.  As the engineers plate max weight limits for multiable reasons.  Just as you buy the right truck to carry the load you need.  You need to have the right 5ver to carry the gear that you want also.  Some people have gone up to a 17.5 rim with a G load rating tire.  

I have a B&W Companion hitch with the Moryde pin box and it works great.  But I have no comparison as this is my first 5th wheel and TD DRW Truck.

Just remember, driving over your limits will cause a more likely hood of failures and break downs.  Costing you money and time.  So spend the time and even a little more money up front and buy the right equipment.  You will thank yourself, and your family will thank you in the long run.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thanks, I am not looking to increase the tire ratings simply to carry more load. In fact, I was looking to replace the (presumably) low quality factory tires with higher quality tires specifically to increase my safety margin. Maybe my assumption that the tires coming from the factory are of mediocre quality is the wrong assumption?

Charlie

3 hours ago, cwr said:

Has anyone used a Trailer Saver air ride hitch (or similar) in conjunction with a Mor/ryde rubber pin box? is this advisable and/or worth the added expense?

Thanks!

We do and our experience has been that this combination works extremely well, especially for the size RV you will be using. The Trailersaver is a good hitch with a good company to back it up. Mor/Ryde is also a good company - one of the best in the RV industry. We highly respect them. 

Regarding the tire question...

Since the tires are new, it might be best to just get settled and get your stuff in and find a way to get weighed by wheel position to know what your balance is once loaded for full timing. Then, with more detailed information, you can evaluate various options and make a more informed decision. If you were buying a used trailer with old tires, then it may be more beneficial to look at new tires.

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

I have a Trailersaver TS3 and it is quite a change for the better from the little RBW I had. I bought the hitch used off of a member here and the freight company lost a few thigs, btu I had to contact TrailerSaver to get 3 inch risers for my application. Simple phone call along with a credit card and WALLA! I don't know about any air ride pin box so I can't tell you anything about them. I sure like the air ride hitch though!

I agree with Trey. Get the actual weights so you know where you are at. You could also stop at a CAT scale to get an axle group weight. Not perfect, but beats guessing.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I have a Trailer Saver and the MorRyde rubber pin box on my 19,000 pound Cambridge 5th wheel behind my 2006 Volvo 780 tandem axle truck and am pleased withe the way they interact with each other. I am also running Sailun 17.5 tires and am pleased with them.  I might consider running your 16's for a while if they are not overloaded and then switching to 17.5's later.  Everyone has their own ideas and experiences but I am much happier running my 17.5's than I was with my 16's.  I had multiple blowouts with my Chinese 16's but my Chinese Sailun 17.5's are doing great, so far.  Your results may vary.                                                             Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

I'd consider using the OEM tire maybe 1 year.  We had a blowout (luckily with minimal RV damage) after one year.  We upgraded to Goodyear 17.5" H rated tires (and wheels) 9 years ago and are on our second set of GY H rated tires with zero problems.  They did ride a little harder so the next year we upgraded to MORryde IS.

I like your combination of hitch and pin box and wish we'd have done it years ago.     Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, cwr said:

Thanks, I am not looking to increase the tire ratings simply to carry more load. In fact, I was looking to replace the (presumably) low quality factory tires with higher quality tires specifically to increase my safety margin. Maybe my assumption that the tires coming from the factory are of mediocre quality is the wrong assumption?

4 hours ago, cwr said:

Your trailer's axles probably have a GAWR on the certification label/tire placard of 6000# per axle. The OEM tires, when serviced to 80 PSI will provide nearly 18 percent of load capacity above the maximum load for that trailer. That's a far better reserve load capacity than many other models are equipped with. Depending on usage - your call - they are good for 3-5 years. Trailer tires are not mileage tires.

OEM Westlake tires are provided to the vehicle manufacturers serviced with 100% nitrogen (green valve cap). That's good for new trailers because it pretty much assures there is no water vapor in the tires.

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

I am a huge fan of having top of the line tires, and a big safety margin on rating vs. actual weight.  I also upgraded to 17.5 tires on a previous trailer and dropped my tire issues to zero.

As to the original tires, to me, would depend on how you are using the unit.  Towing it to the lake and back a few time a summer?  No worries, get some use out of them.  Planning a cross country trip?  Get some good rubber on there.  The farther and faster (and heavier) you tow, the more heat builds in the tire, and the more chance of a low quality tire blowing out.

Thanks everyone. On the tires/wheels, I think I am going to wait a year until the factory warranty is up. Then I will consider replacing the axles with 7k axles and upgrading to better tires and/or wheels.

As far as the hitch, I'm about 90% convinced to go with the TrailerSaver BD3 and Mor/ryde rubber pin box combo. Now if I could just find a truck!

Charlie

If you are going to eventually upgrade to 7K axles I suggest considering MORryde IS.  In less than 2 years we had our axles straightened twice due to tire wear before changing to IS.  I had that aligned once just to see how reliable IS was.  The alignment wasn't needed and after 4 more years we have zero tire wear on the GY 17.5" tires.       Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

One thing you can do is get a tire monitor system which is cheaper than the set of tires. 

On the hitch, my F350 truck came with a Reese 18k. Then a friend of mine gave me a Reese 5th Airborne pinbox. 

Great working pair. 

Kimberly Flores, Trail Boss and Wagon Master
Jesse Flores, Coxswain, Shotgun Shipmate
Wagon mates: Cinnamon, Mini Schnauzer
2017 F350 Lariat Dually
2018 Keystone Fuzion 371 Toy Hauler
LovetheRVlife.com

A TPMS is great for checking tire air pressure in the morning before you pull out and letting you know if you have a slow leak but will do nothing for a blowout, you'll probably hear the tire go  just before the TPMS alerts.  A good quality tire correctly rated and inflated for the fifth wheels weight is well worth the expense & peace of mind to greatly reduce or eliminate blowouts.    Greg 

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350

I agree with much that has been said.  Get your TV and trailer weighed by axle otherwise you're guessing. We're in our 5th year with TPMS, Mor-Ryde 8k IS & pinbox, GY G114s, Trailer Saver TS3 hitch and air shocks to level the truck.  Our trailer has a GVWR of 19K.  We've been very happy with the setup. :-)

2014 DRV Mobile Suites 36' RSSB3

2013 Ford F350

http://where-rv-going.blogspot.com

Are those Westlakes an "E" or "G" rated??  Friends have the "G" rated Westlakes on a mmuch heavier unit and have put many miles on it in the last two years and haven't had any issues.  FWIW the "G" Westlakes run at 110 psi like most other "G" tires.  I haven't heard of any issues with the Westlakes, so I don't think I would be too worried provided yours are the "Gs", if "Es" all bets are off.

Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy  3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood RW39MBL, Disk Brakes, MORryde IS & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Level-Up Auto Level System, 17.5" Sailun H Tires, Onan 5.5K Genny, Dual ACs with Heat Pumps, Winegard Travler Slimline Automatic Dish, Splendide Stacked Washer/Dryer, Sleep Number bed, Residential Fridge and Induction Cook Top

Archived