Amazon’s Alexa and Microsoft’s Cortana Are Teaming Up

RV_

For the folks who like using online assistants, but are split between them like I am, this is good news. I have an Amazon Echo dot next to my computer on my office desk and I also use Cortana voice commands on my main computer. Then on the other side of my computer is my Moto Z Play phone which has the moto/Google voice recognition system at my disposal as well. To have my phone work I just say "Gore to Enterprise, come in Enterprise" and then tell it what I want it to do like pull up Phil Collins music. For Cortana same thing but to get her to wake I say "Hey Cortana." For Alexa I just start the sentence with Alexa and do the request/command in the same sentence as Alexa. Each of them do have advantages over the others in some areas and I am learning them as I go. Teaming my two favorites has advantages I haven't discovered yet. For example I just told Cortana to pull up weather radar for my area and she had it up a half beat after I asked which is way faster than doing several clicks to open the Microsoft weather app and then click on radar.

Excerpt:

"The surprise deal between the two companies was revealed Wednesday in a New York Times report that said Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos had been quietly working on the idea for more than a year.

The idea of the tie-up is to give each virtual assistant's users access to the other assistant's unique strengths, and to help each system spread beyond its current base.

For example, Cortana, which Microsoft claims has 145 million monthly active users through its Windows 10 PC operating system, offers good integration with Microsoft's Outlook that other virtual assistants cannot offer. Alexa, which is much more successful in the smart speaker market—of which Amazon has a 70 percent share—has its own communications ecosystem that lets users call or message other Alexa users."

The full article is here: http://fortune.com/2017/08/30/amazon-alexa-microsoft-cortana-siri/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived