Houseboat rental?

Kirk W

We got our "ski boat" free with the houseboat rental.

Not sure the diffference between a runabout and a ski boat, but you need something that can handle decent waves. You can get four foot waves easily on Lake Powell. So you want something that can handle that, plus have enough speed to get you around the lake.

Watch your gas situation. I ran out 20 feet from the gas dock on our "toad". Which I guess was the perfect time to run out of gas!!

Another couple would be helpful just dealing with the boat. I was in my thirties and went with three woman. I could have used one big strong guy around. I don't fit that category. So some help dealing with the houseboat is handy.

Also fly "google" and decide where you want to camp and visit before your trip. You do need a sandy beach with a quick drop-off to keep the houseboat prop out of the rocks. 

It was a great trip. One week is not enough!! I started looking for a trailerable houseboat when I retired, but at that time they were all made for east coast situations. That is fiberglass pontoons instead of aluminum.

Great trip. Don't miss it.

We went out of Bullfrog Marina, back in the early 1980's. I spent a year or so working for the NPS on the expansion of houseboats at Lakes Mohave and Mead. That was a interesting experience. Houseboats are pretty much fun. Drag some kids along for even a better time.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Kirk, since you enjoy volunteering you could get a week free.  I don't know if the program still exists but we volunteered for the Trash Tracker gig one year.  Two couples on a houseboat with a captain and towing a speed boat for free time cruising.  We'd go from beach to beach picking up trash and loading it on a small barge we towed along with the speed boat.  We'd 'work' about 4 hours, including travel time from beach to beach and have the rest of the time free.  It was fun and since the captain knew the lake well he took us to places rarely seen by others.  Having the small speed boat made exploring the narrow canyons possible.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

50 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I don't know if the program still exists but we volunteered for the Trash Tracker gig one year.

Point me in the right direction and I'll sure look into it. Was this on Lake Powell? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Perhaps things have changed.

It would seem to be that way. After reading the job description, we have agreed that the NPS trash boats are not a good position for a couple who are in mid 70's and so will continue to research a boat rental visit. Thank you for the assistance and were we 10 years younger we would be looking more closely. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

It would seem to be that way. After reading the job description, we have agreed that the NPS trash boats are not a good position for a couple who are in mid 70's and so will continue to research a boat rental visit. Thank you for the assistance and were we 10 years younger we would be looking more closely. 

I quit reading at the '8 hours a day' point .

Goes around , comes around .

• 4 months later...

Been there and ...you know what I mean. Several times. To me, it's the greatest place in the world to take a vacation. Don't go in summer or winter. Off-season the prices drop a little. At least they used to. Make sure you have a small boat to tourist around in. Used to be you had to make your reservations a year in advance; probably even longer out now. Do lots of research; there's a thousand different landscapes and things to see. And being the traveler I know you are- especially out West- there are hundreds of little canyons to hike and explore around the lake. But you don't want to be in any of those little canyons  if there is any indication of a storm at all. You know why. Man, I hope you get to go. It is the greatest!

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

Archived