Where can one buy property and live in an RV?

1 hour ago, JRP said:

However the high winds that we occasionally experience in southern NM are a valid complaint. But after years of travel around the country I've found that mother nature has at least one type of annoyance to throw at every area of the country.

I could probably hang with the wind if it doesn't reach Irma levels....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Linda. That is reassuring. A bunch of people I don't know asking me to come to the square dance or the quilting bee is not appealing to me. (Do people even do those things anymore?) Not interested in joining a real life bull session... you know the drill. You sound like the same kind of private person I am. SO you bought a membership and  you could spend 14 days free, leave for 7, come back for 14, leave for 7... all winter long? Depending on the buy-in, I would like something like that. I am SO happy just reading my books, editing video, writing music, taking pictures, doing a blog.... For someone who has no friends to speak of I have a lot of people asking that I give them almost daily updates, so I plan to have a shared online photo album, a blog, and a youtube channel, and that will require a lot of time. (I LOVE your Lego entries!! Do they have Lego Eggos?)

And to be clear, I understand that people want to be friendly and all that. As long as they don't think "loner" and "unfriendly" are synonyms, we're good! I am the nicest guy going with a wicked sense of humor. I just find life much less complicated with as few moving pieces in it as necessary.And at this point, that means me and a dog.

As usual, thanks for your insight.

Pine County in Minnesota would likely allow RV pads depending on exact location, township etc. We also have Pathfinder Village which is a very large owner park with deeded lots. They do not have sewer but some lots have holding tanks. This is a great area centrally located among many lakes, rivers and streams. Minnesota's largest State Park is next to Pathfinder. It is 15 miles from I35 providing easy access to the Twin Cities (90 minutes) or Duluth (75 minutes). It would be a good choice for a full-timer who wants a base with deeded access at reasonable cost. Nearby Pine City (25m) has a WM supercenter and independent grocery store. When the weather turns in the late Fall, hop on 35 and head to Texas.

http://www.pathfindervillage.net/homesforsale.php

20 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

As long as they don't think "loner" and "unfriendly" are synonyms, we're good! I am the nicest guy going with a wicked sense of humor. I just find life much less complicated with as few moving pieces in it as necessary

While I have always been a fairly social person, I do enjoy solitude at times as well and so do understand your feelings. My years on a submarine taught me to respect the feelings and desire to be alone when they wish. I greet others when I pass, but also remember those days when one might be alone just by sitting off to one side out of the path of traffic. The best friend is one who is there on a moment's notice when asked but who lets things be when not asked. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thank you, all responders, for lots of good information and opinions from diverse perspectives!

Eddie1261, I don't know if you would be interested in southern Ohio or not, but FWIW we camped just west of Portsmouth at http://www.lazyvillage.com .  We were there to look at a beautiful brick house on 2 acres on Hwy 52 that we might have bought for a really good price were it not for the slope of the hillside (nightmare to maintain for me) and the history of landslides.  Somewhere along the highway was a plot with a nicely laid out gravel pad and a fifth wheel camped on it.  Also, the real estate agent told us that there was NO building code in Adams County.  I don't know if this was true, and that was 6 years ago, so even if it was true then it may have changed by now.

7 hours ago, ceciltguitar said:

Also, the real estate agent told us that there was NO building code in Adams County.

A ha!!! Adams County was t he magic words! I will research tonight and  make calls tomorrow! If that is the case I will head down there. 5 hour drive from my city, but I'd make an overnight trip of it with the dog.

Edit: Just did some research and Adams County does NOT permit living in an RV parked on a lot or in storage. Darn! (Not the word I wanted to use...)

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:18 PM, eddie1261 said:

I must have called 75 to 100 cities in parts of Ohio that I thought were really rural, and everybody has zoning against RV parking. They all demand a structure and utilities.

This may have been a typo, but in case it's not, my guess is that your best chance is to look for unincorporated land, so you would be checking with counties, rather than cities.  I'm only familiar with southern California, but it seems that it is typical for cities to not allow what you're looking for, but I know that even Orange County (immediately south of Los Angeles) has A LOT fewer restrictions than the cities within the county.

You are correct in assuming that was a typo. I did mean to say counties. What makes me shake my head is that depending on the climate where I land, I WOULD build an oversized barn with a high door to allow the RV to be parked INSIDE the barn in colder months, with electric, water and sewer on premise. It may just not be in the cards for me. I suppose a place out west, where I pay $250 a month for park rent, might be a better option, considering that after building that barn and having those utilities installed I would be paying at least that much anywhere else I go. I may as well go where I can avoid these cold Ohio winters. There is always the option of higher elevations during the hot summer months. Whether that means south or west, anything beats the shores of Lake Erie in January!!

I know the SKP's co-op parks were mentioned, but I didn't see any mention of another SKP option, the three "ERPU" (Escapees Rainbow Park Unlimited) parks in Alabama, Florida, and Texas.

"The ERPU home-base membership program provides you with an RV site for five years with an option to renew for another five years for only one dollar. There are terms and conditions for early cancellation or termination of the lease. Because your ERPU membership fees are refunded upon termination, the actual cost to you is the annual maintenance fee." (emphasis added)

https://escapees.com/support/parking/erpu

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Cecil, as I mentioned earlier, SW MO is generally pretty open to doing what you want. Temps are reasonable, but finding something level enough might be a challenge. Also, if you are gone for any length of time there is a good possibility of illegal activity on your property. The closer you are to Branson the more expensive the land will be. Certain parts are well known as meth areas.

We owned 10 acres in SW MO for quite a few years. We had a hard time selling the property when we went full-time, but eventually it did sell. While we were gone we had a neighbor take care of things. One time he reported that he had spotted evidence that someone had driven around the house. We never did learn whether it was a deputy or someone wanting to do something illegal. No evidence of anyone breaking in.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

18 hours ago, eddie1261 said:

What makes me shake my head is that depending on the climate where I land, I WOULD build an oversized barn with a high door to allow the RV to be parked INSIDE the barn in colder months, with electric, water and sewer on premise. It may just not be in the cards for me.

There are many of that type structure in various parts of Texas. Ours has both an apartment and a full hookup RV site, all under one roof and it isn't that unique. We saw many such buildings in the Hill Country, particularly around the Canyon Lake area. In fact, that was where we first go the idea of what we call our barndomineum. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I just can't see 50k in just our rv lot. We have a piece of land, half trees, with power utility and water. I does have a septic tank but it is very small. It may suffice though. Will need to run power a few hundred feet; it at one end of property and we putting Teton on other end. We did pay 21k for 4 acres. I consider that an investment. Concrete pad my biggest expense. This in Huntsville TX. Right now not working and will likely not till Feb. Would be nice to stay there with minimum exspenses during these times.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

There are many of that type structure in various parts of Texas. Ours has both an apartment and a full hookup RV site, all under one roof and it isn't that unique. We saw many such buildings in the Hill Country, particularly around the Canyon Lake area. In fact, that was where we first go the idea of what we call our barndomineum. 

Of course, with my particular love of solitude I would want the structure sitting dead in the middle of a 1 acre lot...... How I would love a 1/2 acre buffer zone on every side of me..... After living my life where houses were 10 feet apart.

18 minutes ago, eddie1261 said:

Of course, with my particular love of solitude I would want the structure sitting dead in the middle of a 1 acre lot...... How I would love a 1/2 acre buffer zone on every side of me..... After living my life where houses were 10 feet apart.

I'd think you would want more than that if you wanted some solitude since in the middle of a square acre would only give you about a 100 foot buffer. :)

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have a place on the Ohio river directly across from Adams County in KY. Plenty of places to buy a couple acres and build an RV barn or pad to park on with no zoning. But the winters here are still gray and cold. If I had no reason to stay this far north i wouldn’t. 

Eddie, you could buy something like this:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Topton-NC/65668951_zpid/14163_rid/35.335153,-83.459359,35.091681,-83.828431_rect/11_zm/

All the services are there.  Just plant some shrubs so you don't have to look at the mobile home.  Who would know you are living in the RV?

Many years ago, my grandparents bought a lot where the house had burned but the detached 2 car garage was still fine.  Granddaddy added a bathroom and they lived in the garage while they built a new house where the old one had been.  If you could find something like that, you could buy it and just not rebuild the house.  Just claim you are living in the garage but actually live in the RV.  Of course, that would only work if your neighbors weren't close.

22 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I'd think you would want more than that if you wanted some solitude since in the middle of a square acre would only give you about a 100 foot buffer. :)

x2!!  We lived on 15 wooded acres and felt that was enough room for some privacy. A single acre is really not a lot of land, and will typically be located in an area that has been subdivided into rectangular lots with road access. So it will likely have dimensions like 150' x 300', which gives less than 75' on each side of any structure. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Howdy!

We have a homebase in Livingston, Texas located on the west side of the creek from the Escapees. It’s five acres with four FHU’s for and storage. Great neighbors most use to be RV’s and are Escapees. 

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

The only advice I have is to always check with local officials about your plan to make sure it is allowed.  I have seen some expensive mistakes where they followed the advice about "forgiveness", just do it and beg forgiveness.

It might be possible in a couple of counties in KS, but they will require a septic system, and when it comes to drilling a well, that can be a very expensive venture as long ago we found a spot, in the 1990s in AZ and the cost for the well would have ran close to $20,000.  

Saw them "clean up" an area in AZ by enforcing codes when they wanted the land for "higher purposes".

I have read a few are getting land in Apache County, AZ.  I think they basically boondock though.

Cathy

I believe the first thing I'd do before I considered purchasing land for a home base is check to see what the tax laws are for what ever state I was interested in.  Some states tax social security while others don't.  Those that do would be quickly eliminated from my list.  Then I'd check to see what kind of vehicle inspections are required.  Those that require yearly safety and emission would also be eliminated from my list.  Then I'd target a more central state so I could wander north in the summer and south in the winter passing thru and staying at my own place maybe half the year.  For me...  notice I said me and not you or not everyone one..  for me that state is Oklahoma.  If this is something you are interested in then you can start here for your search:    http://www.classiccountryland.com/properties/oklahoma-land-for-sale

Traveling, It leaves you speechless then makes you a story teller.

ceciltguitar

Probably the best answer to your question is:

The more rural, the more conservative, the better off you are to be able to do pretty much whatever you want:  within reason.  You probably can't do stuff that is going the bug your neighbors, for example, set up a Branch Dravidian Compound, let your Black water fun off into the creek, etc.

Many places you can do what you want, up to a point.  The closer you get to finding your "Walden Pond" then you can determine just what their dividing lines are. 

I grew up in a pretty nice area, BUT the wind blew most of the time.  The people left you alone, but if you needed help they would provide it, unless you were a JERK.  If they don't leave you alone, chances are you aren't high enough up the mountain or far enough our in the desert.  

Keep looking.  You'll find it!

Blessings!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived