Leaving Firearms Before Crossing into Canada

Has anyone used a Firearms dealer along the Canadian border to store firearms before crossing into Canada?  Would like to visit Calgary, Alberta, but have firearms in the coach.  Wondered if firearms dealers would store a person weapons for a short period (for a fee of course)?  Any other thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

It's been about 4 years but we did that at http://www.mitchellsupply.com

Jim Mitchell was great to work with and just asked for a small donation to their junior target shooting group.

Don't forget to leave your ammo also.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

If it's just a couple of handguns and a box of ammo, most will. I recommend using a locking padded hard case. I carry a bit more than the average bear and generally opt to use a self storage closet. I also am not too fond of anyone else handling my firearms. In smaller towns well away from the border, a 3'x5' or 5'x5' can be had for $25-$50 a month. If it's just a few days trip then you can often talk them into doing less, or some will prorate the fee.

In addition to ammo, I've found it's a good idea to store "any" type of firearm paraphernalia before crossing. Ie., cleaning rods, handgun safes, ammo boxes, brass/reloading equipment, etc. During an inspection, if there is any indication that you are a gun owner they will look all the much harder trying to find one.

Personally, I don't recommend pawn shops. The paperwork you sign also transfers ownership (that has to be transferred back when you pick them up, which can be tricky in some states.). Your serial numbers may be reported. If you have unregistered's... it's likely you're then going to be "in the system".

IMO, stick with gun shops, gun clubs, or self storage.

Washington State will no longer allow gun shops to accept [store, clean, service etc] from non state residents anymore. Been leaving weapons at a gun shop for 20 years, 3 years ago owner said could not do it anymore, Pawn shops in Wa. near border are quite used to it. Paperwork takes about a minute and costs about $5. Some will ship your gun to another shop in the US. If you go into Canada from Washington, Pawn shop will ship to a pawn or gun shop in another state below the border where you leave Canada

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

There again if you leave it anywhere (gun shop, pawnshop, etc) you will have to do a background check (and paperwork) to reclaim it. I like the idea of a small rental unit (3x5) with insurance to cover a loss. Would be a good way to thin out the traveling pile for a bit to make room for more "stuff". Of course when you get back to it now you have to deal with all the new stuff and old.

1 minute ago, avvidclif said:

Would be a good way to thin out the traveling pile for a bit to make room for more "stuff". 

Very. It's nice to keep "seasonals" in different areas of the country. Things you can't do without, but really only use on rare occassions. Ie., side wall tent and hunting gear in one locale, scuba equipment in another....

1 hour ago, jcussen said:

Washington State will no longer allow gun shops to accept [store, clean, service etc] from non state residents 

Good to know. Thanks!

That's convenient if you are re-entering the U.S. at a different location, but then again... you're dealing with an FFL transfer, fees, background check, and registration.

This is going to be something I run into next year when I go up through Canada to Alaska and back but I have a couple of friends in Washington state who will generally hold things like that for me. I will still fill out the permit paperwork and pay the fee to take a shotgun with me...call me paranoid but I'm not going into Grizzly country without a firearm.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, DuneElliot said:

I will still fill out the permit paperwork and pay the fee to take a shotgun with me...call me paranoid but I'm not going into Grizzly country without a firearm.

X2

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Safe deposit box could be another option. I do not know if it would vary state to state but my understanding is that the banks really have no interest in even knowing what you place in the boxes. A few years ago, the wife's son was staying with us while on probation and we needed to have the firearms out of the house for that time. We used a safe deposit box at our local bank to store the handguns over the year. Have to admit though, it felt a bit awkward carrying guns (even unloaded and disassembled) into a bank building.

In general, I believe safe deposit boxes are quite inexpensive as well. Seems to me, it was maybe $30 for a year for the size box we needed and added some important papers for safe keeping to boot.

I have lived in grizzly country all my life without carrying a firearm. I only carry a firearm if I'm hunting.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

Re: safe depost boxes. Most banks will list in the rental agreement that firearms are not allowed. That being said... it's not illegal to break a banks rules and banks are not privy to what you place in your box. Worst case... they can cancel your agreement and ask you to remove it. Ammo on the other hand is a different matter.

Re: gun shops. I've never run across a gun shop that required me to transfer ownership (like a pawn shop does) to store my firearms and have never had to submit a background check or complete any paperwork to reclaim them.

That being said, my experience doing that with gun shops is limited to the Western states. I know gun laws and such can be much stricter in the East so YMMV.

My preference for low cost no hassle storage... and being able to dump off all your ammo and other gun related paraphernalia... has always been a self storage closet. They also couldn't care less about what state you're from (like a gun or pawn shop).

On 8/27/2017 at 1:51 PM, DuneElliot said:

This is going to be something I run into next year when I go up through Canada to Alaska and back

Another option is to go to a local gun shop and have it shipped up to an FFL in Alaska, but that's likely more expensive than a permit. Just to be aware though.. the permit is only good for 60 days. If you'll be in Alaska longer, you'll want to have a second copy of the permit application prepared when you head back down. You'll have to pay the permit fee again unless you drop back in to Canada prior to the 60 days to renew it for free.

Regardless... I "highly" doubt you could ship it up and back down again via an FFL for less than even $50, although, it could save you a potential border crossing hassle.

TIP: Have your paperwork pre-filled and ready for the border agent.

NOTE: You'll need 8.5" x 14" paper to print the form. 

2 hours ago, Jimalberta said:

I have lived in grizzly country all my life without carrying a firearm. I only carry a firearm if I'm hunting.

I too have lived in bear country all my like and most of the time they run off like most every other critter in the woods but once in a while they don't.  I can clearly recall wrapping the victim of a bear fatality in the tarp I carry and watching him hoisted into a helicopter.  

Later,

J

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 12:51 PM, Jimalberta said:

The Forest Service did a research publication on how much "gun" it takes to stop a grizzly bear. It was in response to a request on which guns to carry to protect timber crews in southeast Alaska. Interesting reading. I carry bear spray.

The one time in my career where a bear tried to run me over....I was stunned at how fast he was moving and quite frankly a gun would not have been of much use.

Great ideas on storage locker use and also getting rid of gun accessories when entering Canada.

To that I would add camo clothes. My favorite jacket is camo given to me by Columbia Sportsware, my favorite hat was a camo hat given to me by Dave Smith Motors, and then I compounded the problem by buying camo polorized safety glasses (they were sold out of the regular kind) that I use for driving, fishing and hunting. 

I hit the border with that camo gear and my one-ton truck and the Canadians were sure that somewhere there was a gun!!!  After that, the camo gear got put away.

The o

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I brought a 20ga. with slugs in 1999 which was way different rules and no charge for the paperwork. Next time I am shipping my .40 cal ahead to the gun shop in Tok Alaska if he see still there and still doing it. I just checked and there are several. This one is most informative.

http://www.wolfhawkshipping.com/

Here is the search. https://www.bing.com/search?q=Tok+Alaska+guns&pc=MOZI&form=MOZLBR

Since it now costs to take them through Canada for legal long guns, I would likely ship both the shotgun and a handgun. It may be more than one would want to pay.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

For those interested in carrying guns for bear protection.....A classic research publication, worth reading. Published in 1983 in response to concerns about bears and Forest Service crews in the woods in Alaska. Before getting a gun for bear protection you need to read this.

https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

Title is: Safety in Bear Country: Protective Measures and Bullet Performance at Short Range.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

On 9/29/2017 at 11:33 AM, Vladimir said:

Title is: Safety in Bear Country: Protective Measures and Bullet Performance at Short Range.

Vladimir thanks for posting.  I enjoyed the read and knowledge it presented.

Later, J 

On 9/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, Vladimir said:

For those interested in carrying guns for bear protection....

I notice that only rifles are even considered. This comes from Range 365:

Barring a perfect or an extremely lucky shot, no handgun has the energy to drop a bear in its tracks. Even the .big 500 S&W has little more energy than a .30-30. Yes, the bigger cartridges do slightly more damage than a .45 ACP, but we are talking about animals that can sometimes soak up .375 H&H rounds as if they are BBs. I’ve seen a brown bear take 13 solid shots from less than 20 yards with a .375 Ackley before it expired. I have seen black bears shot at less than 15 yards with .338s and 7mm Mags and not even lose their footing. The handgun is a last resort, slightly better than nothing. Never rely on a handgun as your primary defense if you know you are going to be in a risky situation. Take a large rifle you are comfortable with, or a shotgun.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived