Truck Camper

JDF

Nor for fiver, pull trailer, or MH campers. We all sort of belong to the general rving groups because all of our issues are pretty much the same. Only separate groups are HDT and MDT because of unique issues of what they have to tow with. 

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

35 minutes ago, theeyres said:

Nor for fiver, pull trailer, or MH campers. We all sort of belong to the general rving groups because all of our issues are pretty much the same. Only separate groups are HDT and MDT because of unique issues of what they have to tow with. 

Actually!!

Fifth Wheel:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/101-fifth-wheel/

Travel Trailer:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/102-travel-trailer/

Class A, B, C:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/98-class-a/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/99-class-b/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/100-class-c/

Nothing specific for Truck Camper, but see postings on them regularly - might try a search. Sometime just listed as TC.

On 8/26/2017 at 10:16 PM, TheLongWayHome said:

Actually!!

Fifth Wheel:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/101-fifth-wheel/

Travel Trailer:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/102-travel-trailer/

Class A, B, C:- http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/98-class-a/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/99-class-b/

http://www.rvnetwork.com/forum/100-class-c/

Nothing specific for Truck Camper, but see postings on them regularly - might try a search. Sometime just listed as TC.

My mistake! I didn't even know those existed.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road

6 hours ago, theeyres said:

My mistake! I didn't even know those existed.

All of those have come about because the IT department has had requests for them. The HDT forum has kind of become a semi private club where many of them do all of their postings, even on subjects of general interest. I suppose some of them don't want to mix with us commoners? Most of the other forums are used only for things that are unique to that particular type of RV. When you make only posts related to that specialty in the separate forum, I'm not sure how busy a truck camper forum would be but I will see what our contact in the IT department has to say about the idea. Most of us prefer to do most of our "hanging out" in the more broadly shared forums such as the General, Fulltime, Technical, and such because most subjects apply to all RVs since that all use the same appliances, construction materials, travel conditions, routes, RV facilities, and a host of other common things. I do know that management has not in the past been very strong on RV specific forums because the idea is to have us all be one big, friendly group. Most of the specific forums do pretty much share the other forums, except for the one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Kirk,

A little HDT envy there :D

On your part, could be. On mine, not at all. If they don't want help with common issues, that is their right. But it would be nice to have input on those subjects by those folks too. Most forums are better for having more contributors. 

16 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

On your part, could be. On mine, not at all. If they don't want help with common issues, that is their right. But it would be nice to have input on those subjects by those folks too. Most forums are better for having more contributors. 

Your comments bring a smile to my heart (is that possible?). Several years ago I posted questions about the HDT forum because there was a lot of stuff they posted that was more appropriate to all of us but they chose only to share it on the HDT forum. I think you were the one that responded to me saying you more or less just ignored that subgroup. That's what I now do. Guess it's the same for most of the subgroups...trailers, fivers, etc. Most of that is helpful to all of us so who cares about all those subgroups?

13 minutes ago, theeyres said:

Your comments bring a smile to my heart (is that possible?). Several years ago I posted questions about the HDT forum because there was a lot of stuff they posted that was more appropriate to all of us but they chose only to share it on the HDT forum. I think you were the one that responded to me saying you more or less just ignored that subgroup. That's what I now do. Guess it's the same for most of the subgroups...trailers, fivers, etc. Most of that is helpful to all of us so who cares about all those subgroups?

I just look at new posts on the forum as a whole.  Half the time I have no idea what sub forum they are posted in.  If the topic isn't of interest to me I may just scan it and move on.  If it does interest me, I read it in depth and respond as needed.  The sub forums for me, just make searching a little easier.  They have no real bearing on my day to day interactions with the forum as a whole.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

15 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I just look at new posts on the forum as a whole.  Half the time I have no idea what sub forum they are posted in.  If the topic isn't of interest to me I may just scan it and move on.  If it does interest me, I read it in depth and respond as needed.  The sub forums for me, just make searching a little easier.  They have no real bearing on my day to day interactions with the forum as a whole.

For those of us who don't use your method we, apparently, miss a lot. I read only a few of the sub forums and HDT is not one of them. It's my choice, of course, but sharing with everyone on general topics is much to be desired from my point of view.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

...I'm not sure that there are enough FULL TIME truck camper folks to make a dedicated TC forum work...

In my opinion, the still very real perception that Escapees RV Club and this forum are for "FULL TIME" folks despite the club's statement at the very top of its home page "A total support network for ALL Rvers" hurts both club membership growth and forum participation.

Specialty sections can be both helpful and sometimes divisive. Some forums with more hands on administration will move topics of general interest (like a refrigerator issue) from say a 5th wheel section to a technical issues section. 

1 hour ago, trailertraveler said:

Specialty sections can be both helpful and sometimes divisive. Some forums with more hands on administration will move topics of general interest (like a refrigerator issue) from say a 5th wheel section to a technical issues section. 

We volunteer moderators are not given the authority to do that, but I agree that it would be a good thing. Leave the specialty forums to the things which are unique to those vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who replied.  I did not intent to start a large discussion about this,  But I guess that is what a forum is all about.

I was especially amused by the suggestion that I try another forum.  I have been invited to leave forums before but the first day is a record even for me.  I'm sure it was ment in a helpful way.

For those who have not had the experience with truck campers, we have the most in common  with class C's.  But there are unique aspects of TC's that would make it nice to compare notes with birds of a feather.  I'm sure we will find each other.

I have had a B, A, TT, van and C but find a TC on my Dodge 3500 diesel dually best fits my needs at this time in my life.

I will hang in the general forums and spend some time with the C's.  I plan to join the Escapees at some point and make my home base in Texas when I fully retire (2 years).  I am originally a west Texas boy, but my time on foreign soil (currently GA) has given me a taste for green and trees, so east Texas and Escapees is my current plan.  

I have been lurking for some time and find the Escapees as a group to be fun, friendly, and helpful.  It feels like home.  I'm going to like it here, hope you like me.  

I am currently looking for a early 90's 10ft CO Alaskan Camper to setup as my retirement RV (same truck).  Yes, I am making use of all the internet tricks and tools in my quest.  I search CL 3 times a day coast to coast.  If anyone knows someone making a move from a AC please pass my info along jdfry3@gmail.com. 

Good roads to all

JDF

35 minutes ago, Al F said:

About the HDT.  I usually ignore non HDT topics in the HDT section.  I figure they only want to hear what HDT folks have to say and don't really care for any info the others may be able to contribute. 

I do pretty much the same since my suggestions about a travel route and things to see along the way was dissed. They have no problem however in jumping into the travel trailer forum to claim that everything larger than a Casita needs to be towed by an HDT. The most recent claim was that anything over 25' was unsafe to tow. That is why I often recommend that folks asking questions about travel trailers visit some other forums with more members that actually own travel trailers. It is not mentioned to induce them to leave this forum, but to indicate that they may get more information that is actually useful to them. 

The Escapees forums can be helpful and there are some very helpful members here.  Unfortunately there is little of specific help for those of us interested in truck campers or full time travel in TCs.  Many of the members here seem to have started with the Escapee's bootcamp which is largely for owners of big rigs.  Although that should not matter it does influence the forum interests, information and sometimes seems to lead to a snooty attitude towards those of us who like smaller RVs.  If you have more specific questions and concerns you might want to bring them to the TC forum at RV.net.  If you have more social interests this forum might meet your needs entirely.

19 hours ago, JimK said:

Many of the members here seem to have started with the Escapee's bootcamp which is largely for owners of big rigs.

I'm wondering where you came by this opinion? I have not attended RV Boot Camp but I have seen the curriculum and I know most of the instructors and the director and have never seen any evidence to indicate that. The appliances in all RVs are mostly the same or similar, the safety issues the same or similar,  the needs for living fulltime have little to do with the type of RV and the vast majority of things have little or no difference based on the type of RV. Did you attend and find it this way as it isn't the impression I have gotten at all. 

I base this on the forum comments.   It seems a great many members have attended the Escapees boot camp. IMO small RVs are simpler to operate and maintain.   I know mine is and the manual covers most issues very well.  I would not find that to be the case for even trying to drive a big rig.

44 minutes ago, JimK said:

I would not find that to be the case for even trying to drive a big rig.

Perhaps that comes in the "try it, you'll like it" category? :D I suspect that you would find you took to it pretty quickly. The appliances are pretty much the same in a class B or a 40' class A, or at least operate the same. I suspect you might be surprised how much you might enjoy it. To be honest, I have thought of going just for the heck of it but am too stingy with money....  :unsure:

4 hours ago, JimK said:

I base this on the forum comments.   It seems a great many members have attended the Escapees boot camp. IMO small RVs are simpler to operate and maintain.   I know mine is and the manual covers most issues very well.  I would not find that to be the case for even trying to drive a big rig.

The only difference is size . Big or small use the same things . Other than size and sometime shape they are the same machines . 

You simply have to adjust times . 

Goes around , comes around .

On 8/31/2017 at 5:20 PM, Kirk Wood said:

All of those have come about because the IT department has had requests for them. The HDT forum has kind of become a semi private club where many of them do all of their postings, even on subjects of general interest. I suppose some of them don't want to mix with us commoners? Most of the other forums are used only for things that are unique to that particular type of RV. When you make only posts related to that specialty in the separate forum, I'm not sure how busy a truck camper forum would be but I will see what our contact in the IT department has to say about the idea. Most of us prefer to do most of our "hanging out" in the more broadly shared forums such as the General, Fulltime, Technical, and such because most subjects apply to all RVs since that all use the same appliances, construction materials, travel conditions, routes, RV facilities, and a host of other common things. I do know that management has not in the past been very strong on RV specific forums because the idea is to have us all be one big, friendly group. Most of the specific forums do pretty much share the other forums, except for the one. 

(IMO) The HDT forum is not a 'Truck Camper" forum - yes, HDTs can be registered as Motor Homes in many states, and the integral sleepers of many models make them capable of self-contained living.

Don't have an HDT. but have found over the years, the HDT  folks are very well  informed on various tech issues (lots of forums) - especially for "how to" get "things" accomplished - - as well as honest advice to those who *don't* really need an HDT, to downsize their tow vehicle needs to/for what they plan to tow.

If you have a 40ft 5th wheel with a pin weight of -say- 4-5K pounds you *do* need an MDT or an HDT - and should consider joining "the dark side".

So yeah, if you want a vehicle that will tow *anything* you want to hitch up to - - they are a 'breed apart'.

But - back to TRUCK CAMPERS - which (to me)  would indicate "slide-in" campers intended for a pickup truck.

Possibly,  some SKPs would *not* consider "Brand X" forums as a good source for info on TRUCK (pickup) CAMPERS,  but there *IS* a separate forum for them on RV Net at -

RV Net - Truck Campers

Not sure if SKPs would be rated as 'commoners' or nobility over there - (or vice-versa) - your choice, LOL

Archived