Cleaning as a necessity

eddie1261

Opposed to cleaning as an obsession....

I tend to be fairly anal about cleaning, dishes, vacuuming, etc.... Being a solo flyer, I will likely be using, as I do here in my house, 1 plate, 1 bowl, one fork, one spoon. I find that doing it that way I never have to look at a sink full of dishes. That will also aid in my controlling insects and rodents.

Which brings me to the question. What kind of prevention tips can you experienced folk offer to keep the meeses out? I plan to have a trash can with a latching lid, either a snap latch or a screw down. I tend to mostly steam a lot of veggies in a microwave steamer, and I nuke a lot of frozen fish and soups in a bowl that is covered and vented, so the inside of the nuker shouldn't get too awful dirty. (I keep it clean here, washing it with a sponge after every use.) I really hate meeces to pieces, so I want to do everything I can to keep them out. I have started looking all around the underside of the RV to try and find any holes they could get in, and I know a mouse can squeeze through a hole the size of a dime. Is there any kind of "mouse repellent" soaps or anything that clean but maybe have an odor that mice particularly hate? I can't really use any kind of snapping action or poison traps, even as a precaution, because my dog is blind and could easily step into a snap trap or eat poison. The compartments below will always have traps in them. Best way to not have to catch them is to keep them out I guess.

Agreed. That best route is keeping them out in the first place. The best defense is closing all possible points of entry. That means crawling around in and behind every cable, hose or pipe inlet and sealing any entry points. Small gaps can be filled with expanding foam, but wherever possible, stuff any gaps with 0000 steel wool and then seal it with expanding foam. I've seen some folks cut up plastic milk containers and make reverse cones on their cables and hoses. Install screens on any vent openings.

On the food-trash side of things, I put anything remotely food-related, including the crumbs from the toaster (brushed out after each use) into a grocery bag in the freezer.  Hoping that keeping the inside free of tempting smells will keep all nuisance critters from coming inside.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

We reuse the Walmart or other store shopping bags as our garbage bags.  Depending on what's happening in the kitchen they are taken out hourly (preparing chicken or fish) or daily in the evening with the evening dog walk.  If we stay in one place for awhile, I spray the leveler feet pads, hoses, electric cords, around the tires with a bug killer.  Have to respray on occasion, but in 4 years we haven't had any issues with bugs or rodents.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We found that letting garbage accumulate at all really smells up the RV. Like Ali & Jim, we use the Walmart type bags for our garbage and take it out at least every evening, more if there is much food in it.

We had one invasion of mice and found the most effective things was the little boxes of pellets they eat and take home. Put them under the sink, etc., where our two dogs couldn't get to it. They were coming in through the water line hole to the toilet. Never did figure out how they were getting to there.

I don't think washing the dogs bowls, wiping the micro, etc after every use is necessary to keep rodents out but it sure will help keep things clean.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

2 hours ago, Velos said:

This discussion recently came up in our park in the mountains which is surrounded by lots of open space and critters of all shapes and sizes.   The solution to mice and rats "peppermint oil" here is a link to a website explaining how to:   Using Peppermint Oil as a Natural Mouse Repellent

Wintergreen seems to do the same .

Goes around , comes around .

FRESH CAB Botanical Rodent Repellent, "keeps mice out of enclosed storage areas." Active ingredient: Balsam Fir Oil, "botanical pesticide."   Smells very nice in our fiver basement.  It's a repellent, not poison, so it's pet friendly.  http://www.earthkind.com/how-to-use/fresh-cab

The only 2 times we had a rodent on board since 2008 was once during a heavy rainstorm, and in south Texas during the drought when animals were coming in out of the fields to find water. 

The cat may be our best deterrent.

Thankfully where I am currently parked I have three resident "Farm Cats". As I think back there was only one place when I parked "out in the country" where there wasn't at least a dog in residence. So far no furry unwanted guests. As the temperatures start cooling I am in hopes the cat's continue to defend my home. That's when we had the most problem growing up on the farm.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Don't leave any dry dog food sitting in a dish for free feeding of your dog.  Meeces think that is gourmet stuff.

We keep a plastic grocery bag going all day sitting in one of the kitchen sinks, depositing trash and crumbs, plate scrapings from dinner and any debris from the sink drain baskets and take it to the trash dumpster every night.  The only trash that remains inside overnight is paper debris in the bathroom waste basket.  I also never leave a covered plate with like cookies or anything on the counter.  I put them in the microwave to store except when I use it.    We keep any type of sweet including any sweetened cereal in gallon size ziploc bags if it is going to be in a cupboard.  When we have had mice (a couple times in 7 yrs) it seems it was when it was getting cold outside and they were looking for a warm place to nest.  

Pat DeJong

The times we have had mice get in our RV our cats wake us up in the middle of the night chasing the mouse.  Once one of our cats caught and killed one w/o waking us.  He brought it to momma (DW) and dropped the cold wet mouse on her chest. See momma, what a nice kitty I am, to bring you a present!  That got us out of bed quickly. 

This 2006 Winnebago Sightseer must be very well sealed, no mice in 4 years of travel. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

When locating and sealing openings underneath, don't forget inside the coach around plumbing and wiring holes from the basement area into the living area. I use aluminum duct tape to seal these areas, and use Fresh Cab behind cabinets and behind the firewall under the dash. When you store your RV the odor is strong, but when you're living in it, air movement greatly reduces the odor.

Al most forgot; before sealing with the metal duct tape I drop a block of TomCat mouse poison into the hole. It's no danger to pets or children because it's trapped in the belly of the RV.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived