How long is too long?

remoandiris

14 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I do not care what you do, or what you think you know, you can throw all the states at me that do or might allow them but it does not alter what I am saying. My point, which you clearly are not acceding to,  is that they ARE NOT STREET LEGAL in all states or even in all areas of certain states. Period. I have no further comments on the topic.

Chalkie,

Not sure of the attitude or the reading comprehension, I'm simply stating facts. If you don't want to accept facts and stick to your opinion, that makes you no different than the majority of the population and I certainly understand having dealt with all types.

In NC, UTVs can be fully street legal on any road, I looked at the written law last night and also have personal experience seeing it enforced. My statemeets on Utah and reciprocity were pulled straight from their law books which says they're allowed on all roads, at all times, if allowed in the users home state (such as NC). This is not an opinion, just facts. Not sure why you're heated or why you think i should accede to your point when I have conflicting evidence to your statements but in any event, have a good one and enjoy the beautiful CO winter! 

Without severely limiting where one travels using a RZR or other types of off road vehicles for everyday travel will run afoul of the law.  I live in a county in Colorado that allows ATV's and side x sides but only on county roads.  They said state law rules on state roads.  Just trying to figure where our RZR is allowed is difficult at best.  From our home it is impossible to travel legally to retail stores on our RZR.  Many areas of the state do not allow our RZR at all and I don't know of any that allow travel on state roads which provide the best or often only access across the state.  I would like to see this changed but so far it hasn't caught on with the powers to be.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Just trying to figure where our RZR is allowed is difficult at best.  

You're certainly right about that, it almost seems like a regional thing and knowing which states offer reciprocity or what the states you plan to visit have on the books. If OP is from NC, he certainly has more options than y'all folks out in CO, your laws are decidedly anti-street legal UTV but at least the state gives counties the chance to decide for themselves. 

I've thought about the UTV route but it seems like a Suzuki Samurai with a mild lift and lockers can go/fit in some of the same places, take up not that much more room on a trailer, and fill the role of a small vehicle and a UTV at the same time.  They're also cheaper, I didn't expect UTV's to cost so much when I ventured into the dealership! They sure do look fun though...

1 hour ago, Black said:

You're certainly right about that, it almost seems like a regional thing and knowing which states offer reciprocity or what the states you plan to visit have on the books. If OP is from NC, he certainly has more options than y'all folks out in CO, your laws are decidedly anti-street legal UTV but at least the state gives counties the chance to decide for themselves. 

I've thought about the UTV route but it seems like a Suzuki Samurai with a mild lift and lockers can go/fit in some of the same places, take up not that much more room on a trailer, and fill the role of a small vehicle and a UTV at the same time.  They're also cheaper, I didn't expect UTV's to cost so much when I ventured into the dealership! They sure do look fun though...

Colorado has numerous trails for 50 inch or less wide vehicles.  In fact there are hundreds of miles of these trails, most in the National Forests.  Other than a motorcycle I don't know of any street legal vehicles that are that narrow.

Randy

17 hours ago, Randyretired said:

Colorado has numerous trails for 50 inch or less wide vehicles.  In fact there are hundreds of miles of these trails, most in the National Forests.  Other than a motorcycle I don't know of any street legal vehicles that are that narrow.

The Sammy comes in at 61 inches....less if you don't count the mirrors but nowhere near close to 50. I don't know of any major manufacturer vehicles that narrow and some ATV's are out that range as well (a buddy with a modded Yamaha Warrior comes in at a hair over 50). 

Is CO strict on the width or do they allow folks to squeak by?

On 8/24/2017 at 12:40 PM, remoandiris said:

I am considering a Class A for my next RV.  Coach will likely be in the 40' range.  Will also be looking for a trailer (possibly a stripped out bumper pull toy hauler) that can carry a small car, RZR and motorcycle.  

Is a 40' coach towing a 25' trailer too long for many parks and just plain driving on secondary roads?  

I have a 39' DP and a slighly shorter '22 car hauler trailer and I didn't have any issues on a trip from MT to NY on mostly secondary roads. My thought has always been that if a semi can fit then I can fit and it held true on this trip as well.

Tight parking lots and/or people that like to park right close-up next to you can sometimes be a pain but for the most part, parking near the back of lots, picking camp sites wisely, and avoiding super tight switchbacks will allow you to easily drive that rig combo without much worry.

13 minutes ago, Black said:

The Sammy comes in at 61 inches....less if you don't count the mirrors but nowhere near close to 50. I don't know of any major manufacturer vehicles that narrow and some ATV's are out that range as well (a buddy with a modded Yamaha Warrior comes in at a hair over 50). 

Is CO strict on the width or do they allow folks to squeak by?

Most of the trail heads have posts or boulders set at 51" or 52".  You are right only the small 50" RZR's and ATV's will fit. In Routt National Forest there are a few 62" trails.  There are also wider Jeep type trails but wider than 50" cuts out hundreds of miles of trails.  These trails were built by the ATV clubs in cooperation with the Forest Service. It would seem a little wider would not hurt anything and allow the wider UTV's.

Randy

• 1 month later...

I drive a 32’ class A pulling a 2 horse horse trailer with a front tack/dressing room which is every bit of 20’ maybe 25’. The trailer not the dressing room. In the trailer, I carry one horse and a cricket golf cart. Over 30 years in different combinations of RVs and horse trailers and horses.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:43 AM, Black said:

Chalkie,

It’s legal to do so in almost half of the United States, and there are a few companies that make street-legal kits for UTVs and ATVs. Today’s UTVs already have most of the required equipment such as mufflers, seat belts, headlights, taillights and brake lights. OHV-friendly states like West Virginia let OHVs travel city streets on the Hatfield-McCoy trail system, and Utah recently passed a law saying UTVs were legal on every street except Interstates (I-15 and I-70) or in Salt Lake City. In fact, most states allow counties and towns to set their own standards, and Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Texas, Minnesota, Wyoming, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Montana, North and South Dakota, Washington, Michigan, Kentucky, Nebraska, Ohio, Vermont, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Tennessee and Colorado (HB15-1054) have laws allowing the street-legalization of OHVs.

WRONG

Besides OEM equipment, Arizona requires a horn that can be heard 250 feet away and rear-view mirror(s), which the plus a license-plate bracket with light. Many states (NV, WA, etc.) require that UTVs only be operated on county (general and minor) roads with speed limits of 45 mph and lower. Tennessee requires UTVs only go 35 mph and you need DOT-approved tires like the GBC Kanati Mongrel and an orange tractor triangle on the rear end. Other states (UT, TX, WY, etc.) require amber front and red rear turn signals and lit license-plate brackets.

WRONG again

In Texas, you can NOT register an ATV, UTV or OHV and they can NOT be used on the roadway except under VERY limited use and NOT by a civilian operator (for recreational or personal use) except to CROSS the street, not ride along the street. Since it can not be registered, you are not required to have a lit license plate bracket.

Chalkie was 100% right in his statement when he said that an ATV, OHV, UTV can NOT be used as a reliable substitute for a car or truck, unless you plan to only stay in the very few states that allow such practice and they are not as numerous as you imply. I can drive my car on any public roadway in this country....and at the posted speed limit. 

I have no idea what Federal agency you work for but since the Federal government has NO AUTHORITY to enforce State Traffic law I know that traffic enforcement is not your area of expertise. You might want to do the research (which you say you do not have the time to do) before you attempt to tell others what those laws are. That is what causes confusion on forums like these. People post some supposed "credentials" and claim they know the answer. Unsuspecting readers take that knowledge as fact when in reality it has no more validity than when Chicken Little announced the sky was falling. 

Sec. 663.037. OPERATION ON PUBLIC ROADWAY PROHIBITED.

Sec. 663.037. OPERATION ON PUBLIC ROADWAY PROHIBITED. (a) A person may not operate an off-highway vehicle on a public street, road, or highway except as provided by this section.

(b) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle across a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway, if the operator:

(1) brings the vehicle to a complete stop before crossing the shoulder or main traveled way of the roadway;

(2) yields the right-of-way to oncoming traffic that is an immediate hazard; and

(3) makes the crossing:

(A) at an angle of approximately 90 degrees to the roadway;

(B) at a place where no obstruction prevents a quick and safe crossing; and

(C) with the vehicle's headlights and taillights lighted.

(c) The operator of an off-highway vehicle may drive the vehicle across a divided highway other than an interstate or limited access highway only at an intersection of the highway with another public street, road, or highway.

(d) The operator of an all-terrain vehicle may drive the vehicle on a public street, road, or highway that is not an interstate or limited-access highway if:

(1) the transportation is in connection with:

(A) the production, cultivation, care, harvesting, preserving, drying, processing, canning, storing, handling, shipping, marketing, selling, or use of agricultural products, as defined by Section 52.002, Agriculture Code; or

(B) utility work performed by a utility;

(2) the operator attaches to the back of the vehicle a triangular orange flag that is at least six feet above ground level;

(3) the vehicle's headlights and taillights are illuminated;

(4) the operator holds a driver's license, as defined by Section 521.001;

(5) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle occurs in the daytime; and

(6) the operation of the all-terrain vehicle does not exceed a distance of 25 miles from the point of origin to the destination.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:40 AM, remoandiris said:

I am considering a Class A for my next RV.  Coach will likely be in the 40' range.  Will also be looking for a trailer (possibly a stripped out bumper pull toy hauler) that can carry a small car, RZR and motorcycle.  

Is a 40' coach towing a 25' trailer too long for many parks and just plain driving on secondary roads?  

Anyway, having a 40' coach with a 24' trailer will probably make you about 68 to 70 feet long.  If you stick to Class I designated highways (interstates and U.S. highways) you will sometimes be legal and sometimes be illegal.  Will you ever get stopped and ticketed?  Probably never happen.  We are in a park currently on a site they refer to as "super sites".  There are probably 10 or 12 class A MHs with 24' to 28' trailers.  Many of these MHs are 43 or 45 footers, making some of their total lengths well over 75'.  They are from all over the country.

As far as getting into parks and CGs, you will have to be selective and do your homework.  There are a lot of parks that claim to be able to handle "big rigs" and then you get there and find out there is no way you can get through their congested narrow winding roads to the assigned site.  

When we returned to full timing we knew we wanted to have our car and motorcycle with us.  There are many different ways to do this.  The only way that appealed to us was hauling everything in an enclosed trailer.  There will be advantages and disadvantages to which ever way you go.  

Good luck with your decision.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/7/2018 at 4:10 PM, Big5er said:

In Texas, you can NOT register an ATV, UTV or OHV and they can NOT be used on the roadway except under VERY limited use and NOT by a civilian operator (for recreational or personal use) except to CROSS the street, not ride along the street. Since it can not be registered, you are not required to have a lit license plate bracket.

Chalkie was 100% right in his statement when he said that an ATV, OHV, UTV can NOT be used as a reliable substitute for a car or truck, unless you plan to only stay in the very few states that allow such practice and they are not as numerous as you imply. I can drive my car on any public roadway in this country....and at the posted speed limit. 

I have no idea what Federal agency you work for but since the Federal government has NO AUTHORITY to enforce State Traffic law I know that traffic enforcement is not your area of expertise. You might want to do the research (which you say you do not have the time to do) before you attempt to tell others what those laws are. That is what causes confusion on forums like these. People post some supposed "credentials" and claim they know the answer. Unsuspecting readers take that knowledge as fact when in reality it has no more validity than when Chicken Little announced the sky was falling. 

You are correct and the information that I posted about TX was incorrect. As I stated before, each of us as individuals can research our respective states (as you have) and make an informed decision. 

As for the argument that it can't be used as a substitute for a car/truck, we're all entitled to our opinions and there are several folks who  would disagree with yours. On my last trip to FL a couple weeks ago, I met a couple who much preferred their UTV over a conventional vehicle and wouldn't have it any other way.

Regarding my agency, I never made a claim that I enforced traffic laws and was only offering context. Re-read my statement and you'll see that I included my position only to reference that NC State police (county folks were on the task force as well) were the ones who gave the first-hand info about UTV's while we were working a case together.

As for suggesting that I might want to do the research, the fact that you found TX does not allow UTV's is a convincing reason that I shouldn't. As much as I enjoy helping folks and lending a hand while I can, and as I said earlier in the convo, "I do not have time, nor am I willing to do all the research, for someone who is trying to overcome the obstacle of a pickup truck/UTV/motorcycle conumdrum. ...That said, it's helpful to know that there are States in the US that allow full usage (not in a limited capacity) of a UTV as a street-legal vehicle. To be fair, there are also States that only allow them to be used in a limited capacity."

You mentioned that I implied there are numerous states, I would disagree and refer back to my original statement, that there are some that allow full usage, some that allow limited usage, and by extension, some (such as TX) that do not allow any usage. Not a majority, not a minority, just some.

You mentioned confusion on forums....one of the prime causes for confusion is when we jump to conclusions about what someone is saying before taking the time to read everything that they've actually typed. 

I've found the folks on this forum to be pretty sharp and adept at checking supposed "facts", regardless of who has posted them, and often times providing written proof (as you have) if there's a difference of opinion. Sometimes, we're even lucky enough that it's done in a cordial manner and a delight to read, other times, not so much....  Regardless, thanks for taking the time to research the correct info for TX and hopefully this info can be put to good use by someone down the road. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 4:20 PM, Black said:

Chalkie,

In NC, you can operate a UTV as a fully street legal vehicle. I am a Federal LEO and have interacted with NC State LEO's who have unequivocally stated that certain UTV's can be licensed as a street legal vehicle with no restrictions. This came up during a motorcycle club (MC) case where the MC had street legal UTVs. Since most States have some form of reciprocity such as Utah, that means a UTV can legally be operated with no restrictions there as well.

By including the multitude of examples in my previous post (and no, I didn't know you were from CO), I was simply showing that there are multiple possibilities for jurisdictions, such as the State of NC, to allow UTV usage as a street legal vehicle. I too do not have time, nor am I willing to do all the research, however for someone who is trying to overcome the obstacle of a pickup truck/UTV/motorcycle conumdrum, it's helpful to know that there are States in the US that allow full usage (not in a limited capacity) of a UTV as a street-legal vehicle. To be fair, there are also States that only allow them to be used in a limited capacity.

OP knows his State and should he wish to use his UTV as a fully street legal vehicle, that may be an option as there are definitively US States that allow this to occur.

so, if I register my trailblazer as an UTV, I no longer need full insurance coverage, streetable tires, and those other pesky things like impact bumpers, catalytic converters,and side lights and such? Sounds like I need to be in NC.

2 hours ago, 4905 doc said:

so, if I register my trailblazer as an UTV, I no longer need full insurance coverage, streetable tires, and those other pesky things like impact bumpers, catalytic converters,and side lights and such? Sounds like I need to be in NC.

I suppose so if you only want to use it off-road. There's quite a few trucks at Uwharrie  like that...

Archived