Check Engine fault

Sculptor

Hi folks, I took my Volvo VNL to the quarter car wash, I was neither careless or careful, I just took some grime and dirt off.  Bug splats didn't really come off much but I tried.

Later that day I don't know when, I noticed there is a fault in the engine.  I looked it up, it's the NOX sensor in the exhaust pipe or manifold, not sure which.  The post elaborated enough to say they have trouble with water causing them to fail in the factory location.

The installation of a new one looks straightforward.  I want to pull the connector to inspect and dry it out. Waste of time?

has anyone done this service on their truck?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

4 hours ago, MrSeas said:

I believe you have s total of 3 NOX sensors on that exhaust system. Sometimes it's hard to pin point the one that is causing the problem. I think there have 3 different part numbers. 

Thank you both, I definitely will try that solution first.  I read about a service bulletin to move one sensor to another location.  The upper exhaust is illustrated.  I didn't know there were 3.

https://www.justanswer.com/medium-and-heavy-truck/8ytof-2012-volvo-vnl-680-d13-volvo-engine-code-3226.html

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

8 hours ago, MrSeas said:

What fault code is displayed indicating a NOX sensor fault?

SA      0.    SPN     3226.       FMI    13.     For first event/last event no date or time.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

MrSeas, I read the thread with greater interest this time.  Thank you for the heads up.     http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/127310-waiting-for-the-bad-news/

i remember seeing this one while we were at the ECR and silently wished them well.  We were not HDT owners at the time.  It appears that Nashville dealership has good sales reviews but bad service reviews.  I wonder if others here have had experience with them?

i plan to open the hood today and see what I can see.  Also have a couple of front shocks to replace.  Now to finish coffee and peel myself out of this recliner.   😏

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

• 2 months later...

As of today I have not replaced the sensor.  The dealer price is robbery, but seems like buying online is risky.  I'm considering buying online to save $100.  Some of you have chosen the dealer, has anyone bought the part elsewhere and installed yourself?  For example: https://www.ebay.com/i/152726215909?chn=ps&dispctrl=1

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

I don't know about HDT parts , but , I have done a fair share of dealing through Ebay and have never had a bad experience or part . I always look for the highest positive feedback ( about 98 % or higher ) before I buy and how many sales the seller has . 

In your case / example , I wouldn't hesitate to save a hundred bucks .

Goes around , comes around .

An alternative to buying on ebay would be to call a couple of other dealers.  I can buy my Volvo parts way cheaper at the little mom/pop local Mack dealer.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On November 12, 2017 at 3:50 PM, rickeieio said:

An alternative to buying on ebay would be to call a couple of other dealers.  I can buy my Volvo parts way cheaper at the little mom/pop local Mack dealer.

It is a great idea, I tried it today at the Mack dealer and he confirmed both brands use the same sensors.  The bad news was they wanted more than the Volvo dealer.  It was worth the call to find out.  Thanks.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

I just called my local Mack dealer.  He's at $501 for that part.  Ouch.

He has 12 of them in stock.  Must be a common issue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Diagnostic Code List For D13 Volvo  This might be in the reference guide but I just ran across it.  Maybe it will help someone later.

Just for future ref. my code is for the POST NOX sensor,  3226, page 54.

D13 ENGINE ECM DIAGNOSTIC CODES

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

• 6 months later...

I wanted to update this subject.  It took some time but I finally got both NOX sensors replaced.  There was a trip to the dealer planned and I asked them to diagnose for me.  The faults were not due to harness or connection problems but the sensors themselves.

Of course the quote to replace was prohibitive so I bought online and installed myself.  I was lucky, the sensors were not corroded and were easily replaced.

Now have found an internet post to reset learned data on a 2008 truck.   I tried to reset and it did not clear the error.  Does it matter if the truck is running?   Thanks in advance.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/30389-2008-volvo-d13-nox-sensor/

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived