Street side door?

chirakawa

I've been full timing for about ten years, rv'ing for over 50 and have owned at least 15 rv's of all types.  Until last month, I've never seen an American made RV with a street side door in addition to the typical curb side one (with the exception of a driver's door on a motorhome).  Now, I've seen two newer fifth wheels with street side doors.  Both, when set up, had the door positioned in such a way that you would have to step over the utility pedestal if you came out that door.

My question is, what purpose does this door serve and why would I want to give up the wall space to have such a door?

Thanks.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

One reason might be that they could pull into a site forward and still have a door on the normal side? It certainly does take up extra wall space though, but then a lot of units these days, especially toy haulers and rear bedroom models have a 2nd door on the same side. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

The two I saw were mainstream units.  The first was a Cedar Creek and the second was a Montana.  Do those make rear bedroom units?  Even then, the doors are nearer the middle of the trailer, not in the rear where a bedroom might be.

Pulling forward into a back-in site is an interesting theory.  I've seen water front sites which were built for motorhomes to pull in forward, the utilities being placed on that side.  However, I can't imagine running all the utilities under the trailer to get to the other side though.  I suppose it's feasible, have just never seen that.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

It wasn't a fifth wheel, but we just stayed next to an older Jayco Eagle travel trailer (probably about 32' ft. or so) that had a door on the street side forward and a door on the curb side aft. It was a rear living area, so I assume the bedroom was in the front. Other than a fire escape, I don't know what the purpose would be for the street side door.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Were these full standard entry doors? I have seen a few trailers over the years with a door like access panel on the street side that opened up to "tall item" type of storage bin. Park models sometimes have a similar door for access to the water heater, etc. As far as having to step over the utility pedestal, it seems to me that anyone with a unit like that would know enough to position it with clearance for the door.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

8 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Were these full standard entry doors? I have seen a few trailers over the years with a door like access panel on the street side that opened up to "tall item" type of storage bin. Park models sometimes have a similar door for access to the water heater, etc. As far as having to step over the utility pedestal, it seems to me that anyone with a unit like that would know enough to position it with clearance for the door.

If your question is directed to me, Dutch - yes, they were full-sized standard entry doors.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

26 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

The two I saw were mainstream units.  The first was a Cedar Creek and the second was a Montana.  Do those make rear bedroom units?  Even then, the doors are nearer the middle of the trailer, not in the rear where a bedroom might be.

Pulling forward into a back-in site is an interesting theory.  I've seen water front sites which were built for motorhomes to pull in forward, the utilities being placed on that side.  However, I can't imagine running all the utilities under the trailer to get to the other side though.  I suppose it's feasible, have just never seen that.

I can speak for the Montana as that is my current brand.  A very few years ago Montana had a new Front Living floor plan that was only in production for 1 year I think. There was a street side door that gave access to a short hallway, rear bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. I did a walk through of this floor plan while doing factory tour during Montana owners rally in Goshen. This would have been about a 2014-2015 model I believe.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, full standard entry doors with full folding steps.  The Montana one is directly behind the rear axle.  I believe the Cedar Creek was directly in front of the front axle.

4 hours ago, Second Chance said:

If your question is directed to me, Dutch - yes, they were full-sized standard entry doors.

Rob

You and/or Chirakawa, Rob. I was just trying to get it clear in my head what kind of doors these were.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I could see how that would be handy if you did a lot of "family" camping where you have adjacent sites, or at a racetrack and such.  Everybody would hang in the common area between the campers, and you would not have to walk all the way around to get in/out of that unit.

Archived