Skylight repair

spindrift

Found a small crack along the bottom edge of the bathroom skylight.  The crack is located along the edge of the existing lap sealant.  Is there a specific cleaning material that should be used on the existing sealant to ensure good adhesion to the new sealant?  I'm thinking denatured alcohol might be a good option.

Thanks.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

A lot of the answer depends on what type of sealant is there now. If it should be a silicone base then you have no option but to remove all of the old material as silicone will not stick to anything once cured. If you have an EDPM roof then it should be a latex material which you can clean with a good detergent but it wouldn't hurt to wipe it with alcohol once you finish before you add caulk. You want to use a self-leveling, lap sealant and Dicor makes the one most popular with RV owners. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Depends on what material the skylight is made of. Some manufacturers say to use a "special" self leveling caulk on Lexan skylights. I'll cut to the chase, I've had the cracks in the Lexan skylight near the roof that caused a very small water leak. I've used plain ol' Dicor self leveling like Kirk recommends. No problem after a couple of years. service. My fifth wheel manufacturer used Dicor on it on assembly.

If you are still nervous about it, I'd  contact the manufacturer and see what caulk they used on assembly.  

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Maybe I'm a little gun shy, and it's not something I generally suggest, but my suggestion would be to check with the mfg.. I know there are an assortment of products that "could" be used, and I am a dicor fan myself, however.... the rig I have right now had a recall on the skylights due to the interaction of the skylight material and the sealant used during manufacture. Evidently the skylights were developing "spiderweb" type cracking all along the caulk line.

It shouldn't take much effort to get a response from them and "safe" always trumps "sorry".

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, gjhunter01 said:

Get rid of the skylight and install a base model Fantastic fan for about $100, DIY.

Most RV skylights that I'm familiar with are rectangular in shape while the fans are typically square. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

47 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Most RV skylights that I'm familiar with are rectangular in shape while the fans are typically square.

I thought that also with our Cameo, it looked rectangular, but when I measured the opening it was square. The FF was a direct drop in for our camper.

If the opening is rectangular, 2X2 boards could be used to frame the opening square and 6" wide Eternabond tape to seal the roof. All bets off for a 2 hour job though. :)

Greg

On 8/23/2017 at 11:20 AM, spindrift said:

Found a small crack along the bottom edge of the bathroom skylight.  The crack is located along the edge of the existing lap sealant.  Is there a specific cleaning material that should be used on the existing sealant to ensure good adhesion to the new sealant?  I'm thinking denatured alcohol might be a good option.

Thanks.

What did you end up doing with this ?

Goes around , comes around .

I cleaned the surface area first with turpentine, followed by denatured alcohol.  Cut a piece of Eternabond to fit and finished by caulking the tape edges. It's on the bottom edge of the skylight and can't be seen from the inside.

Would have much preferred replacing with a fan but I've got a rectangular hole to fill.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

23 minutes ago, spindrift said:

I cleaned the surface area first with turpentine, followed by denatured alcohol.  Cut a piece of Eternabond to fit and finished by caulking the tape edges. It's on the bottom edge of the skylight and can't be seen from the inside.

Would have much preferred replacing with a fan but I've got a rectangular hole to fill.

That repair will likely last . 

And , now you get to spend that hundred bucks on some fun little gizmo . 

Just run your AC to rid the place of unwanted humidity . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

13 hours ago, spindrift said:

Turpentine is my "go-to" solvent, degreaser and cleaner. Folks forget it is NOT petroleum based. I don't caulk eternabond edges, I roll it down hard per instructions and forget about it. DW never did figure out what happened to her pastry roller.:rolleyes:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived