Verizon's unlimited plans just became more "restricted"

Update from Technomadia on Verizon's latest video throttling to all plans (even the legacy grandfathered UDP plans) and more restrictions on their new set of not so unlimited plans that come out Wednesday. The only good part is it sounsd like the Hotspot cap will be raised from 10gb to 15gb, but you'll pay more for that new plan if you don't already have it. They are bringing back contracts too.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizons-new-plans-heap-new-limits-on-unlimited/

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Yeah they did raise the hotspot limit which is actually really nice. They are now limiting video quality on everyone which may not be a bad thing to keep the bandwidth available. On the current unlimited or a GUDP plan video is now limited to 720p on a phone and 1080p on a tablet or hotspot. Their new lower Go unlimited I think limits it's even further and subjects you to network management on any congested towers. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I always hate to see new restrictions but we have never streamed a movie in our lives so that part will not bother us and the extra 5gb of data on the Hot Spot will be a plus especially at no extra charge so I guess we can't complain much. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

For those that don't stream, these changes should be neutral to possibly improved data speeds. 

For those that us gUDP Verizon plans to stream, this is for sure a negative.

The puzzling part to me, and the one that will have me writing the now more friendly to business then consumer, FCC - is how they Verizon (Or any carrier.) can restrict say the DL data speeds from one source, over another source. To me, this is where net neutrality protection kicks in. Not to get too carried away on this. If the FCC, and DC, allows company to restrict data DL speeds form one provider, what's to prevent them from from controlling vial DL speeds:

-One movie from another

-Oneshow from another

-One companies advertisement from antoher

-Etc... 

A dangerous slope, when companies can start 'Controlling content, via what he will - or will not - restrict DL speeds on...

These changes warrant careful review by us, yep - the ones'Government' are supposed to serve and protect... When, IF, we see changes in status quo - we should all let the FCC, and our Rep's in DC know we're wathing!

Best to all, be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

But they are not throttling one movie over another, they are throttling the cheap plan over the expensive plan. If you want faster streaming, pay for it. That's called economics, not a conspiracy to control what you watch.

I'm with hdrider, I don't stream videos and since they just gave me an extra 5gb of high speed data at no extra cost, I'm happy.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

19 hours ago, Big5er said:

But they are not throttling one movie over another, they are throttling the cheap plan over the expensive plan. If you want faster streaming, pay for it. That's called economics, not a conspiracy to control what you watch.

I'm with hdrider, I don't stream videos and since they just gave me an extra 5gb of high speed data at no extra cost, I'm happy.

Will go back and re-read the changes that are coming. But since I'm paying for Grand Fathered Unlimited Data, and then also paying for Hotspot to use this data not on a phone - I believe I'm paying the premium for 'faster streaming'. (Seems that way, when one Samsung S6 phone with Hotspot, with employee discount, is over $120 a month.). So I'll continue to be not pleased as a customer. How ridiculous is it to say you have 'unlimited data', but - we'll slow you down so much it will take you over a year to watch a movie with an intermission in the middle:)! 

Fine that you, and others, don't stream. I pay, and have been paying for over a decade, to keep my Grand Fathered UDP - because I want to use the data I want to use, how I want to use it. 

And IMO, this is for sure 'control' over how I wish to use the data I'm paying for. Are 'gamer's' targeted with slow down? And again, IMO, this is about 'net neutrality' - as they are restricting useable data speeds for some content, over other content. 

I respect your right to your opinion - don't knock mine, because you use data differently. And glad you are 'happy'... I remain concerned, and will watch as things develop. 

And gang, really not 'conspiracy' yelling here. But keep an eye on the FCC, under the new leader, that for several years was a lawyer for Verizon. IMO (You, and other's can have and make your own too...), the FCC is shifting away from protecting our 'Public' (You know, stuff that all of us own...) airways - more towards giving the industry what they want. Business over consumers, usually ends with higher prices, and less services - due to lower competition between providers... 

And sure not trying to pick a fight with you, or anyone. But feel you missed my concern, and did not pick up on what it means to be paying for a Grand Father Unlimited Data Plan. Expensive over cheap... 

Best to you, and all,

Smitty 

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

If you want to avoid Verizon's throttling of Video downloads - set up a VPN.  Data funneled to you through a VPN is encrypted and the ISP has no way of determining what the content is.  Their only option would be to throttle all VPNs (which they won't do.)

"NordVPN confirms that using a VPN will bypass Verizon’s throttling of all video streams"
https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/-nordvpn-confirms-that-using-a-vpn-will-/f-edde656417%2F9to5mac.com

Sure and VPN uses more bandwidth because the packets are encoded.  Eventually your 'unlimited" will hit a limit.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Sure in a 'Wait and see mode.' on this one now. A few forum posts on various boards, reflected this would step down gUDP to 720 levels. Others are saying it's 1080, and only restricting 4K downloads. Since I've not had any communication on changes to my service plan from Verizon - will just have to wait and see what's really going on.

My feelings remain the same. That I believe I've kept my end of the bargain with Verizon, and do feel it is 'control' of how I wish to use the data I'm paying for. Let's pretend that this was Verizon deciding to slow down the quality of Football, Baseball, Rodeo, Golfing, related streaming. Or, gee, too many people are using Yahoo Mail, so we're going to de-prioritize those that go to Yahoo Mail. Or xxxxxxxx (Fill in the x's here.) with another data usage. In our coach, on a 40" TV, I can see a difference between 4K and 1080 picture quality. Not as noticeable as on our larger screen TV at home, but none the less I can see it. We have paid to watch 4K content on some occasions, but not frequently. And 1080 would serve us well. But, it's the principal here - not 4K vs 1080 vs 720 vs 480 streaming quality.

Yes, to if needed, and with high enough download speeds, using our WiFiRagner GOac Safe Surf mode (VPN in how it behaves, and used it while traveling in Canada successfully a few times. Again based upon high enough download speeds to start with.)

HDMI hook up from phone to TV, is another way of working around restrictions of Hotspot usage. 

Anyways, time will tell on these changes. I have no doubt that Verizon will do whatever they want, unless the FCC or courts stop them from doing so. I also have no doubt, that I can either alter my plan to the new world, or move onto say T-Mobile as they are still aggressively expanding their coverage area. the T-Mobile 55 plan is not bad at all, and I could have two of them for the price I'm paying for our Verizon. (And no, not near as good of coverage as Verizon's network. But, both ATT and T-Mobile have seemed to be rapidly gaining on Verizon in coverage comparisons...)

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

15 minutes ago, Smitty77_7 said:

Sure in a 'Wait and see mode.' on this one now. A few forum posts on various boards, reflected this would step down gUDP to 720 levels. Others are saying it's 1080, and only restricting 4K downloads. Since I've not had any communication on changes to my service plan from Verizon - will just have to wait and see what's really going on.

My feelings remain the same. That I believe I've kept my end of the bargain with Verizon, and do feel it is 'control' of how I wish to use the data I'm paying for. Let's pretend that this was Verizon deciding to slow down the quality of Football, Baseball, Rodeo, Golfing, related streaming. Or, gee, too many people are using Yahoo Mail, so we're going to de-prioritize those that go to Yahoo Mail. Or xxxxxxxx (Fill in the x's here.) with another data usage. In our coach, on a 40" TV, I can see a difference between 4K and 1080 picture quality. Not as noticeable as on our larger screen TV at home, but none the less I can see it. We have paid to watch 4K content on some occasions, but not frequently. And 1080 would serve us well. But, it's the principal here - not 4K vs 1080 vs 720 vs 480 streaming quality.

Yes, to if needed, and with high enough download speeds, using our WiFiRagner GOac Safe Surf mode (VPN in how it behaves, and used it while traveling in Canada successfully a few times. Again based upon high enough download speeds to start with.)

HDMI hook up from phone to TV, is another way of working around restrictions of Hotspot usage. 

Anyways, time will tell on these changes. I have no doubt that Verizon will do whatever they want, unless the FCC or courts stop them from doing so. I also have no doubt, that I can either alter my plan to the new world, or move onto say T-Mobile as they are still aggressively expanding their coverage area. the T-Mobile 55 plan is not bad at all, and I could have two of them for the price I'm paying for our Verizon. (And no, not near as good of coverage as Verizon's network. But, both ATT and T-Mobile have seemed to be rapidly gaining on Verizon in coverage comparisons...)

Best to all,

Smitty

Smitty,

I sympathize with your situation, but I understand Verizon's position.  Verizon created these latest unlimited plans in response to upstart T-Mobile and to a lesser extent ATT.  They did not foresee that so many people would start streaming high definition video on their phones.  In many places, this has overwhelmed the network and bandwidth has disintegrated to barely usable.  This is mostly in highly populated areas, but I've seen a serious drop in speeds in my rural location in the last four months.

You can say, "well that's Verizon's problem, they shouldn't have sold the unlimited plans" and you're right, it is their problem.  And, now they're doing something about it.  Verizon is saying that people don't need 4k quality video on their phones.  Of course, people who like you stream it to their big screen TV, definitely notice a difference.  The end goal for Verizon is to reduce bandwidth usage on video streaming so as to improve the overall quality of their network.

Of course, your position is that Verizon shouldn't be doing this, that they sold you a product and they should honor their end of the bargain.  However, if you read the contract you entered into with Verizon, you'll see that they have every right to do this.  They can change your plan or any condition of your plan any time they want to.  Your option is to continue using their service or move to another service which better suits your needs.

This technology is constantly changing.  Five years ago you would not have even considered getting your television from the internet.  Today, it is commonplace.  But, there are growing pains.  At today's technology levels, cellular bandwidth is limited.  Five years from now, 5g or 6g technology may support everyone in the country watching TV through their cellular connection.

I guess my message to you is to stay flexible, continue to look for solutions which suit your situation.  They will be ever changing.  This RV'ing life can be challenging at times, but I've found that whatever accommodations I have to make are well worth it.  I personally have not relied on the internet for my television needs.  I still use satellite.  So, my internet needs are about 20 gb per month, something Verizon and/or ATT readily fill.

JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Chirakawa - Very well written and nice response to my post(s). And for sure I see the flow of your thinking. And yes I'll add X3's to the part about remaining flexible:)!

No question Verizon does have the legal right to change terms of the contract. However I believe it is a 'grey' area when they elect specifically which content will be throttled. Sure OK for others not to agree. And again the 4K impact, if that is all it is to the gUDP plans, is not the end of the world. And also again, to me it's more about the principal of the matter. Consider:

1) When first I signed up for Unlimited Data, now calls Grand Fathered Unlimited Data. I had no restrictions on using hotspot or tethering.

2) Then for several years, Verizon would no longer allow hotspot or tethering usage. Sure Sir, you can establish a hotspot or tether, but you'll need to change your plan from gUDP to one of our different plans. (Lest GB (Heck, way less back then:)!, and higher prices the gUDP cost.

3) Then later, probably 18 months to two years later, Verizon increased the cost for me to maintain my gUDP. Still not hotspot and or tethering (Even pirating with June Fabric app, was aggressively chased down by Verizon.)

4) Then about two, maybe three years ago now, Verizon allowed me the privilege of again having hotspot/tethering for my gUDP. Yep, paying a $30 fee to do so. (And in between step 3 and step 4, if memory serves me, had another bump in gUDP costs. As Verizon was trying to drive us hanging onto the gUDP off of it...)

Also over this last 10 years or so, both ATT and Verizon lost court battles about their respective Grand Fathered Unlimited Data handling's. 

One of my concerns as an existing Verizon customer, is their selling other higher data usage plans (Some joking also called different versions of 'unlimited'.) to obtain more customers, and more revenue (And they are in business to make money.). BUT, they did not first improve their network capabilities to handle this increase in customers. AND THAT, impact existing customers. That I have a problem with. As now I'm being impacted, because they have oversold their capacity to deliver. (Sort of like when a timeshare company which is already sold to a relatively maximum level, sells more memberships for the same limited number of units. What good is it to have a timeshare membership, if they have too many people going after the same spots? (And we all know this happens. Heck, even Thousand Trails has sort of been doing this, selling more memberships for the same pool of available spots... Here old time TT members complain about this frequently. Especially in popular places.)

OK. So maybe I look at not 'What they have done now, this time (Whatever that is, as I still do not have any pro-active communication from Verizon.) as far as not allowing 4K streaming (If that is all it is for gUDP) now. But look at the future, as they may next take away... or reduce... etc. My choice of wording was 'net neutrality', which since they are restricting 'some' data usage over other forms, I believe is technically accurate. 

I'm going to monitor, and though it may not seem it, not get too uptight about these changes. I'll squawk about it, and do what I believe is my part as a consumer to share my thoughts. 

Sure will not lose any sleep about this. Will look at the options as they develop ahead. Then make a decision on how and where I want to spend my money. RV'ing is fun to us. Sure we like to have streaming capability, but watching TV is not even 5% of what RV'ing is to us:)! 

Best to you, and all. Please do share your thoughts as a consumer with any company, or regulatory agency if appropriate. May council out my thoughts completely, but for sure all of our rights to have our own thoughts:)!

Smitty

(Note: I did send an email to Verizon Corporate Communications Director. Asking for clarifications on what is going on, and also my above opinions. So I'm trying to 'walk my talk/type'. I always do this in a polite and way, as their humans at each level of the food chain. Treat them, as I would want to be treated. I will hold off on FCC and DC, until I get clear communication on what is specifically changing.)

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived