Propane Tank Regulator

freestoneangler

Our new (used) TT came with twin 30 lb. tanks and a Cavagna Group regulator that has the clear indicator that goes from green to red when one or both tanks are empty (depending on whether set to a single tank or dual to draw off both).  I noted that one of the 12" pigtail connections has a small leak.  I'm going to try to re-dope/seal and see if I can resolve that, but also have a small leak at the crimp.  I found the Cavagna website (Italy), but do not see the pigtail part (item # 18CE) listed.  They have an international number only and I cannot find any other sources for this replacement hose.  I do see a Camco part that looks similar, but the end fitting looks a bit different and best I can tell requires an adapter.

Rather than try and patch this regulator system together, I'm wondering about the merits of just buying a whole new regulator and hoses assembly - one USA made preferably and that I can get replacement parts for.  I see one offered that has an auto switch system https://www.amazon.com/2-Stage-Propane-Regulator-Pigtail-Hoses/dp/B00V8JJGOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503339809&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+propane+tank+regulator.  Does anyone have experience with this system or have one they recommend?  Thanks

In this case, with a foreign part it is probably easier to buy a new one. Make sure it is auto changover and indicates which one is being used. You can buy them at Walmart. I would stick to a brand name like Camco and a few others. They aren't that expensive.

1 hour ago, freestoneangler said:

He has the 12" connection hose for $12, so I may just try that first. Here's a picture of the one I have.

I think that is what I'd do, but I would then keep the old one and see if you can take it to an RV store and get them to compare what you have to what they stock as a replacement. The US made ones are a standard fitting for propane. I just looked but couldn't find any manufacturer's name on ours. I do have a cheap regulator that has a hose connected to it that does not have the hex fitting for using a wrench like this one has.

21Wi0JyBCxL.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I seriously doubt that an international company, selling products in this country, would not be making anything sold here incompatible with standard replacement parts in standard threads used in this country.  Just like most of the components in our rigs that are made elsewhere, they are using American threads which are standard for LPG parts.  This is a contact link for this company, and it appears that you don't have to know Italian to ask a question:D   http://www.cavagnagroup.com/contact-us/

9 hours ago, 57becky said:

I seriously doubt that an international company, selling products in this country, would not be making anything sold here incompatible with standard replacement parts in standard threads used in this country.  Just like most of the components in our rigs that are made elsewhere, they are using American threads which are standard for LPG parts.  This is a contact link for this company, and it appears that you don't have to know Italian to ask a question:D   http://www.cavagnagroup.com/contact-us/

Oh I found the link easy enough, but staying up until midnight to call seemed a bit much.  If they had the replacement part (hose) listed and/or sources where to purchase them here in the U.S., that would be an improvement. 

High pressure hoses from the tank (POL fitting) to a dual regulator need a 1/4" inverted flare.

Keep the reg......it is an easy change over ....you'll need:

2 - Brass 1/4" (* see below) MIP/MPT (male pipe)  x 1/4" inverted flare adapters.

2 - 12" (**see below) hoses POL x 1/4" inverted flare

Use yellow Teflon tape on the MIP/MPT side of the adapter. Keep the tape back 1 thread from the end.   

Don't use any pipe sealant on the inverted flare side of the adapter

* The 1/4" maybe 1/8"  I can't tell from the picture so take the reg. with you.

** If you get longer (say 30") hoses you be able to connect to a (3rd) tank without having to lift it up on to the trailer.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, J-T said:

High pressure hoses from the tank (POL fitting) to a dual regulator need a 1/4" inverted flare.

Keep the reg......it is an easy change over ....you'll need:

2 - Brass 1/4" (* see below) MIP/MPT (male pipe)  x 1/4" inverted flare adapters.

2 - 12" (**see below) hoses POL x 1/4" inverted flare

Use yellow Teflon tape on the MIP/MPT side of the adapter. Keep the tape back 1 thread from the end.   

Don't use any pipe sealant on the inverted flare side of the adapter

* The 1/4" maybe 1/8"  I can't tell from the picture so take the reg. with you.

** If you get longer (say 30") hoses you be able to connect to a (3rd) tank without having to lift it up on to the trailer.

Tape in lieu of the typical pipe sealant (what's on the threads currently)?  I've never used tape for gas connections, but will look into that suggestion, thanks.

5 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

Tape in lieu of the typical pipe sealant (what's on the threads currently)?  I've never used tape for gas connections, but will look into that suggestion, thanks.

The yellow , gas rated , tape has worked well for me over the years . Less hassle than pipe dope and stores in less space . It can be used on 'other' threaded applications as well . 

Goes around , comes around .

36 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

All the fittings and assemblies I see these days come with sealant but it is cured.

Sealant will work but is more application specific than tape.  When using sealant it is best to leave the system for 1-2 days before pressurizing it.

Sealants for gasoline (methanol) are harder to find.

If your are handling the reg and hoses Teflon isn't as messy. Wiping things down solves the issue.

The label on  a roll of Teflon tape will list the recommended number of wraps needed......usually 3-4

I always use both tape and sealant. Depending on the (offshore) fittings I'll add an extra wrap of tape.  I recently replaced all plastic (kinked) Bigfoot hoses with stainless pipe and had to order more fittings because of poor fit. 

2011 Cameo 34SB3

• 2 weeks later...

I opted to change out both hoses and used 4 wraps of the yellow gas seal tape.  Sopped up both connections with soapy water and no bubbles.  One of the old hoses was still good and I was intending to keep it as a backup - but I forgot to mark it.  Not wanting to break my no leak connections, they both went into the trash can :lol:.  Thanks for the tip!

34 minutes ago, freestoneangler said:

I opted to change out both hoses and used 4 wraps of the yellow gas seal tape.  Sopped up both connections with soapy water and no bubbles.  One of the old hoses was still good and I was intending to keep it as a backup - but I forgot to mark it.  Not wanting to break my no leak connections, they both went into the trash can :lol:.  Thanks for the tip!

If one hose was bad , it's likely the other wasn't too far behind . Age can do them in , too . So , you probably saved yourself a bit of storage space and maybe even a headache . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived