Montana to WI-Hwy 2 or 94?

redcrzr

We'll be coming back from AK in Sept. headed to Wisconsin.  Going to AK we routed through SD for business, so Interstate 90 made the most sense.  I am considering Hwy 2 across the northern portion of the West and Midwest for a different and possibly more interesting ride.  Headed for Eau Claire WI so could take 2 to Duluth/Superior then down 53.  I suspect 94 would be quicker but I'd like to get off the Interstate if it wouldn't slow me down too much or cause me to have issues with services or rest areas.

Question--Anyone familiar with Hwy 2 and what it might mean for my travels.

We drive an HDT with 45' 5th wheel if that makes any difference.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

There is nothing wrong with U S 2. But going thru Montana there are many descending speed limits. From say 70 on down. Usually in 10 MPH increments. And by the time you get to the town, you will be down to 25. Then repeat the process building back up. Also when going thru the reservations beware they have their own LEO's. If you have the time, there are many places to visit or see.

Appreciate the replies.  I like the slower pace roads.  Not so fond of the shifting through small towns.  Oh well, the life of a manual tranny. Good practice.

Todd

“…nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people.” – Mark Twain

Archived