Southern Utah

dennisvr

I will be heading down to Southern Utah the middle of Sept.  Would like to spend about a month checking out Bryce, Zion, and all other places to see.  Looking at the weather I think I should go to Bryce first and then move on down to the lower places.  Is this a good plan?
Any info on what not to miss would be welcomed.  Also all boondocking places at all destinations would be great.
Thanks

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Yes, I would start with the higher elevations. Cedar Breaks National Monument is not far North of Bryce and at even higher elevation. While in the Bryce area, take time to explore the UT-12 Scenic Byway. Many great places to see along this route like the Burr Trail, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Kodachrome Basin State Park, Anasazi State Park, Calf Creek Falls, Hells Backbone, and Capitol Reef National Park.

Many of the Forest Service campgrounds in the Dixie and Fishlake National Forests close in September, but there are dispersed camping opportunities in the forest and on BLM lands in the area. Check the Forest websites, Free Campsites, and the Days End Directory for current information.

Bryce Canyon is not that far north of Zion and other areas of interest, but it is much higher in elevation, ranging from about 7500' to more than 9000', while Zion is 3500' to about 8000'. Thus, snow and cold are more probably and usually earlier than many of the other attractions. Even so, there probably won't be snow there in September, but it is possible. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I will be heading down to Southern Utah the middle of Sept.  Would like to spend about a month checking out Bryce, Zion, and all other places to see.  Looking at the weather I think I should go to Bryce first and then move on down to the lower places.  Is this a good plan?
Any info on what not to miss would be welcomed.  Also all boondocking places at all destinations would be great.
Thanks

Boondocking spots....You are a member of Escapees, subscribe to the DaysEnd listing.  A very large number of free or low cost spots are listed in UT.

In the last 6 months or so there have been quite a few topics on this forum about SE Utah.  Do a search on this forum for Bryce, Zion, Moab, Canyonlands to find those topics. Lots of info there.

And, yes, Bryce at 8000' is a good place to start.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Moab, Moab, Moab!!!

I've been to most of the places mentioned in the first reply.  All very good choices and not too far from each other.  You could spend days exploring each one.  

If you go to Moab, you could spend a month exploring that area alone.  Arches NP, Canyonlands NP Islands in the Sky and Needles districts, Dead Horse Point SP, etc, etc, and that doesn't include the jeeping opportunities.

Utah is an AWESOME place, top to bottom and left to right!!

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

...Moab, Moab, Moab!!!...If you go to Moab, you could spend a month exploring that area alone.  Arches NP, Canyonlands NP Islands in the Sky and Needles districts, Dead Horse Point SP, etc, etc, and that doesn't include the jeeping opportunities...

I don't think a month is long enough to do all of Utah justice. We have spent over a month in the Bryce/Zion area and over a month in and around Moab. If you do go to the Southeastern part of the state, here are some links to places we enjoyed without going off road in a 4x4: Kane Creek Road, Potash Lower Colorado Byway, Upper Colorado River UT-128 Scenic Byway, Sago Canyon, Dead Horse Point State Park, Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, Needles District, Newspaper Rock.

Not too far South of Moab near Blanding are: Edge of the Cedars State Park, Dinosaur Museum, Bluff FortSouth Fork of Mule Canyon and House on Fire, Hovenweep National Monument, Natural Bridges National Monument, The Valley of The Gods, Sand Island Petroglyphs, UT-261 the Moki Dugway , Goosenecks State Park, Monument Valley.

34 minutes ago, Mntom said:

I was under the impression that if you were an Escapee member it was part of the Escapees site.

The operator of this site is a long time member of Escapees who has offered his services by collecting each of the listings in the Escapee Directory, that is part of your membership, but he keeps them updated and has long offered them by CD and more recently make the online data base to member use. Each month some are published in the Escapees Magazine under "Days End" but the reader then must compile them. Guy does this in an ongoing operation and keeps them updated from the member/contributors as well. He is not an employee. As I remember, the price was only $10 back when I first heard about his services so the $15 of today is quite reasonable. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks for the replies. I'm saying a month but I'm in no hurry so may stay longer.  Wife says I have to be back in California around the kids for the holidays.  I will have my smart car to explore on the road and my quad to explore off road. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

4 hours ago, dennisvr said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm saying a month but I'm in no hurry so may stay longer.  Wife says I have to be back in California around the kids for the holidays.  I will have my smart car to explore on the road and my quad to explore off road. 

You now have a good TV in the truck you bought from Scott.  Enjoy the experience.  We went to Utah but unfortunately chose the year that the Feds decided that they would shut the government down and the National Parks were some of the first closed.  We lost 10 days of our trip and went to Bryce but the weather was turning and so did not get to spend the time we had hoped for.  

I envy your opportunity.  

Marcel

I'm thinking this would be a good maiden trip for the truck.  Bummer about your visit to Utah, that would sure put a downer on a good vacation.  I've never been there, but with all the pictures I've seen and reading the posts from others that have been there, I just cant wait.  Just waiting to sign papers on some property we are buying and then we're out of here.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• 5 weeks later...

Got everything taken care of with the property and made it to Bryce Canyon.  Found a great boondocking site about 5 miles from the entrance.  Went into the park today and spent about 1 1/2 hrs and came back and got settled in.  Go back tomorrow and spend the day.  Will spend a couple days and then off to Moab.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

From Bryce I was thinking about taking Hwy 12 to Hwy 24 up to Hwy 70 to Moab.  What's everyone's thoughts about that.  Remember I'm pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT total 65' long.  I remember reading something about the Hogsback being kind of spooky when driving a larger rig.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

20 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

From Bryce I was thinking about taking Hwy 12 to Hwy 24 up to Hwy 70 to Moab.  What's everyone's thoughts about that.  Remember I'm pulling a 40' 5th wheel with a HDT total 65' long.  I remember reading something about the Hogsback being kind of spooky when driving a larger rig.  

Semi's do it. There are some steep pulls and a steep decent into Torrey going East (consult the Mountain Directory). I seem to recall some steep drop-offs with no guardrail if that kind of thing bothers you. It is a very scenic drive. However, if all you do is drive through you will miss much of what there is to see (see post #2 for a partial list). You may or may not be able to pull off into the scenic pull offs depending on other traffic at the time.

The alternative route is not that much longer and a pleasant drive. Take US-89 North to UT-62 East/North. In Koosharem, turn right on Browns Lane. Turn right on UT-24 East.

Goblin Valley State Park on UT-24 North of Hanksville is worth a stop in my opinion.

I've ridden Hwy 12 on my motorcycle years ago, great ride. From a quick google search, it seems its certainly feasible to take RV's and 5th wheels down it, and there's no low clearance issues. It's certainly very scenic and twisty with with some grades, but nothing you shouldn't be able to get through. Some say pull offs are limited so not sure on that. Maybe someone who's traveled it in an RV can give you some pointers, but I don't see anything that would keep me off of it from what I've read. 

I recently did Hwy 550 (Million Dollar Highway) between Durango & Ouray and I was worried about it, but the truck and 5th wheel and myself handled it well. I took it slow and made it over Red Top Mountain just fine. That's a pretty scary road as there are very little guard rails with lots of steep drop offs, but I had ridden it before too so knew what to expect.

This was one of the switch backs you encounter on 550. They had plenty of room
received_1570698096285395-L.jpg

received_1570698116285393-L.jpg

I pulled over and let my friends by
received_1570698232952048-L.jpg

Later, they got this shot of me
received_1570697986285406-L.jpg

I plan on heading to UT after the rally. I hope it stays warm enough for us to at least visit Moab and stuff, I think some of the higher elevations maybe out, we'll see. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

13 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

Semi's do it. There are some steep pulls and a steep decent into Torrey going East (consult the Mountain Directory). I seem to recall some steep drop-offs with no guardrail if that kind of thing bothers you. It is a very scenic drive. However, if all you do is drive through you will miss much of what there is to see (see post #2 for a partial list). You may or may not be able to pull off into the scenic pull offs depending on other traffic at the time.

The alternative route is not that much longer and a pleasant drive. Take US-89 North to UT-62 East/North. In Koosharem, turn right on Browns Lane. Turn right on UT-24 East.

Goblin Valley State Park on UT-24 North of Hanksville is worth a stop in my opinion.

I see the 89 to 62 route is only about 15 mins longer.  Does this miss the Hogsback if I go that way.  I told my wife about it and I don't think she's up to taking the Hogsback, she doesn't like drop offs.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Bluelghting, Bryce is going to go down to the low 20s for the low temp in a few days.  That's why I'm going to get my butt outa here.  Right now Moab is in the 80s so the weather may be good even when you come after the rally.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

16 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

Bluelghting, Bryce is going to go down to the low 20s for the low temp in a few days.  That's why I'm going to get my butt outa here.  Right now Moab is in the 80s so the weather may be good even when you come after the rally.

Yeah, I figured it was getting too late for Bryce and the higher elevation stuff, but that's fine we have visited there before. We have just never been to Moab before, so wanted to stop there. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Thanks for the info guys, its very helpful.  

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from our trip.  Three and half weeks and 2500 miles.  Seen 6 National parks and 2 Utah State parks.  Had a great time and seen some beautiful country.  Time to set back and plan the next trip.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

5 hours ago, Al F said:

Glad you had a great trip.  Some fantastic country in SE Utah. 

BTW, did you take the Hogsback? 

I did it, but in the smart car.  We were boondocking outside of Bryce and I took the smart car over to Boulder.  My wife said she didn't want to ride in the truck if I went over in it, so we went around on our way to Capital Reef.  I didn't think it was that bad, but she doesn't like the drop offs.  I do have to admit the road seems pretty narrow when going over it.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Archived