Rocky point

cockneyboy

Hey y'all planning a trip down to rock point (Puerto  Penesco). Anyone have any advice, best RV park, fishing spots, vehicle insurance. Also taking our pooch and have his veterinary records so I think that's all we need. Also will stop and check out the Organ pipe cactus park. 

Any and all advice Will Be Appreciated, Gracis amigos 

Hola nuestros amigos!  Como estas?  Ok . . .  that's about all the Spanish you'll need down at Rocky Point.  Many of the residents down there speak English and they ALL speak DOLLARS! Now, to answer some of your questions.  Getting across the boarder into Mexico is easy.  Where are you planning to cross?  Traffic is the issue.  Take your dog to an experienced vet to obtain the proper documents;  the paperwork is time sensitive as well.  We took our small cockatiel with us which required more paperwork.  Be sure to have pictures of your pets.  We stayed at the RPI park in El Golfo, about an hour away.  I wouldn't recommend  staying  there. The park itself is quite nice and caters to the American community, it is simply too far away from any shopping and other activities.   Coming back into the USA can be a challenge.  Be absolutely sure to have your valid US passports. You will also need proof of ownership for any vehicles  being brought back across the boarder as well as proof of insurance. You will also need proper insurance for your vehicles while in Mecico. Your insurance company can help you with this.  When re-entering the US, the boarder people will enter your RV and confiscate illegal properties such as any meats (even though they may have been purchased in the US) as well as any fruits and vegetables on the current illegal list.  We lost about a hundred dollars worth of steaks and roasts with the labels of Stater Brother's still attached;  we hope that the boarder agents had a great barbecue  that evening. Oh well, live and learn. Of course, illegal drugs will get you arrested. . . the dog does that part of the search.  Properly labeled prescription drugs are fine.   Coming back across the boarder will take time . . . be patient and you'll  get through it.  By the way, our Rand McNally  GPS wouldn't  work once we were about 50 kilometers into Mexico. We were prepared with Auto Club paper maps.  I can think of anything else right now, feel free to ask any questions.  Oh . . . DON'T DRINK THE WATER . . . REALLY . . . I know! Good luck . . .  as always,  oRV

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

We go at least once a year and always stay at Playa Bonita on a beach front site if we can get it but that is hit or miss unless you reserve almost a year ahead. It is a busy place and many sites are tight but it is very close to the downtown area. We have never found coming back to the US through Lukeville to be challenging in any way. I don't think it has ever taken more than a half hour from when we join the line. Just don't return on Sunday as a lot of week enders go down. As somebody said, be aware of what you can bring back to the US. Even if you take it down with you, once it crosses into MX it is considered Mexican and will be confiscated if it is on the list. We have two dogs and one of our favorite things is that they can run unleashed on the beach...but not in the park. The dogs just love it. They run and run and run. Don't worry about Pesos. You don't need them. In fact if you try to pay with Pesos they usually have to get their calculator out to convert it! Follow the speed limit and street signs religiously. Nobody else will but you won't have to worry about getting stopped. Last trip I did go up a one way street the wrong way. Got stopped. After the cop went on and on about going to the police station he said he could pay the fine for me for $20. I thought that was fair and paid him. Figured with his way below minimum wage, he could use it more than I could use the hassle and I was definitely in the wrong. It's a great place. Enjoy.

PS read the info about dogs. As Orvil said, you MUST have a good health certificate from you vet. I've never been asked for it but it can happen. Vet records are not enough.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Thank you both we just got back. Everything went smoothly and your advice was used all the way. We didn't quite stay 24 hours even though we did get a beachfront spot. Hot,hot,hot had a very nice dinner at the Blue Marlin restaurant (fantastic coconut shrimp) breakfast tacos this morning and got the co back to Prescott. Did I mention it was Very hot down there. Now we defiantly know the ropes and when not to go. Looking forward to another trip in November. Thanks again. 

If it's hot in Southern AZ it's going to be as hot or hotter in Rocky Point! Glad you had a good trip. Now go back for a few days in Spring or Fall.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

Archived