Full-timing in a TC.....does size really matter?

The more I read blogs/articles/posts about full-time RVing, the more ideal it sounds for me when I retire. But in addition to having to learn all this....stuff (the lingo, parts of an RV, etc.) it's occuring to me that experience is a huge deal. And that's not something I can just build up instantly or gather through reading. 

I spent Saturday looking at a Newmar Baystar and several models of truck campers....the two areas of interest for me. The Baystar is pretty much a no-brainer. But it IS a compromise, as I know I will not be able to take that thing and stay places I'd like to stay. A TC is a lot more my speed.

Now, most of the TCs I checked out yesterday were huge. Host Mammoth, Lance 1172, etc. The slide-outs do give me a 'roomy' feel which I liked, not to mention the recliners, couches, etc. I'm not even gonna mention the one with the washer. LOL I was told it was sold to a single young (relative to me I assume) woman. I should have left my name and number. LOL But they were all humongous. And don't even get me started on the discussion about what truck I'd need to haul it. LOL

Anyway, what I was wondering.....am I overlooking something smaller? I don't think a pop-up TC would do it. That's TOO austere for me. I want a bathroom with a shower (though after seeing them, the dry bath is no longer a must-have) and room to kick up my feet and watch a movie when the weather sucks.

Who else should I be looking at? Anyone have like a TC with no slides, but a couch instead of a dinette?

3 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

Anyway, what I was wondering.....am I overlooking something smaller?

Keep in mind that living for years in a small space is very different from spending a week or two of vacation in one. Compared to many here, Pam & I lived small for our 12 years on the road as we owned a gas powered coach of 36' with no slides. If I were buying today for that same purpose, I would get at least one slide, but the reasons for what we did are very different today. As to where you can take a class A compared to a "TC" you need to really look at this since a large truck camper has far less living space but it still has the lack of maneuverability of a class A of 30 to 35' in length. I  highly doubt that you would take many trips over ugly forest service roads that require 4WD with any of the nicer truck campers. And for good handling, you really need a dual wheel truck and that really limits the 4WD use of the combination. I suggest that you would be far more comfortable in a smaller class A and just tow an off road vehicle behind it when you go. There are many places that one can stay in both federal park campgrounds and disbursed camping areas that you could use with the class A and if you were to live in a truck camper I am pretty sure that you would find yourself unloading the camper to use the truck and you still would not have the ability of a smaller 4WD vehicle. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...

By "truck camper" do you really mean a camper that fits on top of a truck, like the two in the links LindaH posted?  The Newmar Baystar, I believe, is a Class A motorhome, not a truck camper.  You are kind of looking at opposite ends of the RV spectrum in comparing a Class A to a truck camper.

One thing you need to know about truck campers is that some campgrounds will not allow them to be removed from the truck.  They are less likely to have a full bath like you want.  It also will not have much storage, which you will need if you want to live in it full time.  And you will need a humongous truck to carry the bigger ones.

Also, exactly what are you planning to do with this RV?  This is an extremely important thing.  Are you planning on staying in one RV campground for several months at a time, or are you planning on doing a lot of traveling, staying only a few days or a week or two in each place? 

If you are planning on staying in one place for a long time, you might want to consider a 5th wheel or larger trailer and pull it with a pickup truck that you can use to drive around in daily.  If you are planning on doing a lot of traveling, maybe a motorhome is better. 

Take a look at Northstar campers.  They do not have slides and are designed to fit on smaller trucks.  Next take your TC questions to the rv.net forum. Few here own or know anything about TCs.

People RV for various reasons in various ways.  A TC can be ideal if you want to travel and have basic comforts. It doesn't fit the needs for others who might be more sedentary or disabled or just want a lot of space. If you want more space I would consider a trailer instead of a huge TC with multiple slides.a bloated TC requires a very expensive truck and will still not travel well.  It is a compromise that best fits those who also have a boat.

We have friends, a couple, that fulltime in a truck camper with 3 small dogs.  They used to drive truck together and they tell me the TC is  luxurious compared to the sleeper on a semi. personally I couldnt do it. I guess that is the most important part - its about you  and your comfort level. I know many people fulltime in modified 3/4 ton vans so it is possible.  You may need to experiment and rent a unit for a week or 2 to get a feel for it

Comfort means different things to different people.   My TC has a full queen bed with an excellent mattress, a, 3 burner stove, microwave,  dinette,  fridge,  toilet, ac, heat, shower, fans, solar and agm batteries,  generator, and lots of storage.   

I go along with   JimK   and the other post,    Our  TC  I designed for two people, and  I worked on  it  to get built. in 2000.   Three years a go I gutted the insides and redone the insides.  It is a 26 ft box, with living space.  no slides,  I built it with what we wanted, on a budget, Total....90  K   Put about 200,000  miles on it.  I made for the two of us.  I didn't like the ones on the lot,     OU812  :) 

We were just in Poncho Springs today checking out some Lance truck campers they had there. I hadn't really payed much attention to them before until we had a friend join us a couple weeks ago in CO with his truck camper pulling an enclosed trailer with a couple motorcycles. Now he isn't full time, but I admired how many places you could probably get that thing.

The new ones with slides definitely add some nice room when extended. We aren't quite ready for something that small yet, but I certainly like the idea for maybe something to consider in the future. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

6 minutes ago, OU812 said:

It is a 26 ft box, with living space.  no slides,

We have a travel trailer that is smaller than that and ours has no slides either. While we don't fulltime in it, we have spent as long as five consecutive months in it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

HI   Kirk        Well  size only matters  when your stuck....   it's  just bigger....  The less you can get along with and do what you want.... that is the size..   I pull a 30 ft  cargo type trailer, for .....we can't leave it at home.   :)   OU812 

Mike and Terri Church of http://www.rollinghomes.com/, who put out camping books for Mexico, Alaska, etc., have been fulltiming in a truck camper on a gas pickup truck for many years.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Archived