Wireless camera

dennisvr

I saved this link that someone posted months ago.  I was thinking of purchasing it or if anyone knows of a better one let me know.  I'm needing one for my hitch, I would like to have one on the back of my 40' 5th wheel but not sure if the signal will be good at that length. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I guess that would help.  I thought I pasted it the first post,but I guess not.
Lets try it again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331605987171?rmvSB=true

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I started with a setup almost identical to the one in your link.  No way would it reach the back of the trailer with any reliability.  Even to the rear of the truck was spotty at times. Frequent cut outs and distortion. Ok for hooking up the trailer to the truck.  Not as good of resolution as the current wired models.  I tossed it and went wired.  Very happy that I did.

I was looking for one for the hitch, but thinking that I may want one at the rear of the 5er later.  So I agree that going wireless would be the way to go from the start.
Thanks for the reply.

2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Something to keep in mind, Our HDT's generally don't have a back window and are all aluminum caged and paneled.  This limits and distorts the RF signal from most of the wireless cameras.  A neighbor of ours here in ND has a wireless that I helped him with the install.  On open ground it had a decent range of 75-80 feet.  But if I took the monitor into the cab of our Volvo the signal range was cut dramatically and became distorted.  I believe they are for a "Line of Sight" type installations where the antennae can see each other.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

All my cameras are wired and work well.  That said I wonder if anyone is using wireless security cameras on their rigs.  I am familiar with several of these that work very well indeed, but, they all need access to your wireless network to function.  Comes to mind that with the current array of portable hotspots and jetpacks this seems more possibility then ever.  I plan to install one or more cameras on our rig for security using a Mobley but so far this little bugger seems to need resetting every so often even though it is set to on all the time.  

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

What I did for my wireless is cut the cable between the camera and transmitter.  Run a cable from the battery compartment to the rear of the RV.  Mount the transmitter in the battery compartment with power tied to a clearance light.  Mount the camera on the rear.  Connect wires the same on both ends.  Yellow seems to be a standard for video.  Return is common to power ground (Black).  Red is 12VDC power.

On the receiver end, Run a cable from the dash to the rear of the truck into a waterproof box.  Install the receiver in the box.

Turn on the lights and the camera comes on.  The distance from the transmitter to the receiver is just a few feet and not behind any metallic structure.  Worked great but still got a little interference when passing under large power systems.

Cable I used was that from a wired system's camera.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I have passed another RV'er on the highway with obviously the same type of wireless camera I have under the passenger side door to look at the blind spot of the front right tire on the Volvo. Within 100 yards or so my screen changed from looking from the passenger door forward to a very nice picture of the front of his Toad.  I wonder if he saw my blind spot?

All my other cameras are wired, especially the camera on the rear of the camper.

I really do not want that camera signal to flake out when going under a tree or power line while backing into a tight spot.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

3 hours ago, Parrformance said:

I have passed another RV'er on the highway with obviously the same type of wireless camera I have under the passenger side door to look at the blind spot of the front right tire on the Volvo. Within 100 yards or so my screen changed from looking from the passenger door forward to a very nice picture of the front of his Toad.  I wonder if he saw my blind spot?

All my other cameras are wired, especially the camera on the rear of the camper.

I really do not want that camera signal to flake out when going under a tree or power line while backing into a tight spot.

It was probably that your camera was on the same IP as his? I used to have wireless camera's setup at my house, so going by memory, but have you changed the default IP address and username/password it uses? I think if you did that you wouldn't have to worry about interference? 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

24 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Wireless as in radio signal transmitter and receiver, I assume he did his business at Amazon as well.

Okay, maybe no settings to change. They probably all use the same settings. That had to be interesting though to see the different view in your screen for a bit. :) 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

There is no real issue using the wireless IP cameras (I assume you mean IP cameras, since you said security cameras). There are digital and analog versions, but the digital IP cameras use wifi, which works OK as long as you are realistic in penetrating metal. If it is close it will work and at least on the IP cameras be somewhat reliable. The little wireless cameras that you get from China for $35 do not work reliably, primarily because of the component quality.

I'm using wired IP cameras in a system I'm prototyping and they work exceptionally well. The biggest issue with them is getting reasonable size (form factor) cameras for mounting on the side of the vehicles. But they do work exceptionally well and present a VERY clear image. I'm using primarily 1080p, but I do have a 4K one. My images are sent to an 8" Samsung tablet for viewing.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Yes I was referring to IP cameras.  I use several of the wireless 3 MP variety as security cameras for the sticks and bricks because of issues running cable for Poe cameras and have been amazed at the range these newer cameras provide without use of a repeater. I especially like how they interface with iphone/android cells, ipads/tablets, and/or PC/Mac for viewing or recording from almost anywhere.  The cameras I am currently using are Amcrest (re-branded Dahua cameras).  They have a built in SD card that will loop record months video (depending on settings) that can be viewed, played back, or downloaded.  I plan to add a couple more wireless domes to the rig and was wondering if anyone was using this type of IP camera.  The drawback of course is you must have a WiFi network for them to work but I though that was the idea now days for lot of rigs.  If my existing cameras had these capabilities watching some of my early tight blind side back ins would prove quite entertaining to watch.

Later, J

PS Yes you can reverse and/or mirror the image.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

There is no real issue using the IP cameras. I'm working with them now. They have MANY advantages, but they are not for a "value" installation. They also are typically larger (because of the amount of electronics in them). So integrating them into a rig is more challenging. Tradeoffs - like everything else in the RV world. Most you can mirror or flip image on.  I'm also using Amcrest, as well as others.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived