Netgear Unite Explore as "Mobley"

Yarome

I'm looking at one of these as a hardware backup to my mobley (vs. 2 mobley accounts/devices) and as a "cleaner" outdoor option to packing my mobley with a battery pack.

I see listings that will say "AT&T" and others that say "Unlocked". Does it matter? Do I need an "unlocked" since I'm not actually registering the device with ATT? Pros/cons?

TIA

The Unite 770S I'm using is not unlocked. I got it from "h2o Wireless", an AT&T MVNO. i did nothing to it except install the Mobley SIM and change the APN to match the Mobley's setting. Plus the usual security settings, etc., as you would for any hotspot.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Is there a different sim size that requires an adapter ?

Don't think so. The spec sheet says "micro-sim".. which is what the mobley has. If that is correct, of course. I'm assuming it is, but won't have my UE for a few days. In a different thread I'm pretty sure Dutch said, no.

9 hours ago, Yarome said:

Don't think so. The spec sheet says "micro-sim".. which is what the mobley has. If that is correct, of course. I'm assuming it is, but won't have my UE for a few days. In a different thread I'm pretty sure Dutch said, no.

Yes, in fact I mis-spoke in a previous post. The Mobley uses a micro-SIM, as does the Unite Explore 815S, while the Unite 770S and the Unite Pro 781S use a standard SIM, so those two models need a micro to standard SIM adapter to use the Mobley SIM. That's what I'm using in my Unite 770S.

Dutch

25 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, in fact I mis-spoke in a previous post. The Mobley uses a micro-SIM, as does the Unite Explore 815S, while the Unite 770S and the Unite Pro 781S use a standard SIM, so those two models need a micro to standard SIM adapter to use the Mobley SIM. That's what I'm using in my Unite 770S.

OK . Good that's cleared up . I knew you wrote something to that effect . That's why I brought it up . 

Goes around , comes around .

54 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

OK . Good that's cleared up . I knew you wrote something to that effect . That's why I brought it up . 

That's what I get for trusting my memory without double checking. I was one size step off in the previous post. :)

Dutch

36 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

That's what I get for trusting my memory without double checking. I was one size step off in the previous post. :)

At least it was one size step off in the right direction. A $1 adapter is a quick fix vs trying to get a standard to fit into a micro slot. :lol:

8 hours ago, Yarome said:

At least it was one size step off in the right direction. A $1 adapter is a quick fix vs trying to get a standard to fit into a micro slot. :lol:

That's for sure! I have had good luck trimming them down though. No failures so far... ;)

Dutch

30 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I have to wonder if the Mobley will work with other providers (  e.g.:  Verison )  , as long as the sim card is the same size .

I don't see why not .

Probably will but the advantage of the Mobley is the $20 unlimited plan.  There are many better hotspots ignoring the vendor/plans.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

1 minute ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Probably will but the advantage of the Mobley is the $20 unlimited plan.  There are many better hotspots ignoring the vendor/plans.

That's my thinking . Just curious .  So far , we are very happy with our Mobley and the plan . ;) 

We may need a better hotspot in the future , but , we aren't at that bridge just yet .

Goes around , comes around .

So we do not know if a Explorer (815) works with the Mobleys SIM card.  Being that it is the most up to date model vs the 770 or 781(pro).  Would it recognize that this chip is from another device.  I do not mean the SIM card itself, but it knowing on what plan and device it was programmed into.  I say this because AT&T has the Mobleys info attached to the SIM card in it.  Maybe I am thinking that they are more advanced then they are?  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Yes, you're overthinking it. The Mobley SIM will work fine in the 815S, just as it has for others in other forums. As I recall, several folks on the Howard cell forum are using the 815S this way. I'm still debating buying one myself...

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I'm still debating buying one myself...

Everyone's usage of their mobleys are different. If mine sat in the house plugged in 24/7 next to my weBoost  and I was tethering to a router I might consider it a waste of money.

For "my" intents and purposes, what sold me on the 815S was the design and portability. They are "supposed" to be "tough" and water resistant. As is, when in areas where a cell signal might be possible while "legging it", I've been taking my mobley along with a power brick and cord, which sure beats no wifi at all, but having a stand-alone device you can just drop in your pocket then all the better. 

Throw in that, stand-alone, it is supposed to get better reception than the mobley... another win.

Throw in that it's antenna capable without having to drill through the case... another win.

Throw in that, from what Technomadia says, with the netgear MIMO antenna ($30 [that you can't find in-stock anywhere] that I just now bought from Amazon for $21.99-5%) that it is supposed to far outperform even my weBoost 4G-X (towers permitting)... and it's mobile... another win.

Throw in removeable batteries and a port other devices can "leech" off it's battery... another win.

In the minus category, it runs off it's battery. Yet another battery operated device that will need to be maintained VS. just plugging the mobley into USB.

All for $22.01/month? Yeah... I'm not seeing a lot of "downside" on this purchase, for me.

I guess their are all sorts of other router features that are leaps and bounds beyond a mobley, but that stuff doesn't "factor" for me.

And, Yarome's post is exactly why I also bought an 815S. I also have a Homebase. I'm looking for the ability to add the external antenna in a really poor signal area.Plus the other things noted. As long as the Mobley SIM continues to function in the 815S I see it as a total "win".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My only "debate" is whether the Unite Explore 815S offers enough advantages over my current Unite 770S to warrant the purchase. The phone charging port is nice, but I have several small USB battery packs on hand, as well as a Verizon 6620L Jetpack that has that feature. My 770S also has MIMO capability, so nothing much to gain there. It's not something I'm spending a lot of time thinking about, just a now and then thing when I'm on eBay looking for something else... :)

Dutch

19 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, you're overthinking it. The Mobley SIM will work fine in the 815S, just as it has for others in other forums. As I recall, several folks on the Howard cell forum are using the 815S this way. I'm still debating buying one myself...

I think I am on page 56 of 276 pages.  I think someone said on about 51-56 that they might be able to see that you are using a different device and could cut off your service. I will look for it and post it if if I come across it again.

Post 779,

into my samsung galaxy and it works well! However, when I log into my account now instead of seeing Mobley as a device now it is showing my galaxy phone but the plan is still $20 unlimited...... Will this cause any problem ?

Post 914,

Since AT&T does not endorse putting the Mobley SIM into any other device, I can not imagine they would do this. Only time will tell if accounts where SIMs activated on the Connected Car plan and put into other devices will be shut down . . . with or without warning and whether or not under contract.

My take... don't look a gift horse in the mouth. There have been discussions on other forums about how the wireless TOS may or may not apply to the connected car plans as they are a different division of ATT.

IMO, the more "noise" that is made about it, the more likely it is that ATT will act punitively. Let's leave the howard forum threads and speculation on howard forum. ;)

Archived