Are there any winter RV sales events in SW?

JaDeMe

There used to be things like a big sales event in Yuma in Feb where used RVs from various dealers were available.  Looking around the web now, I haven't seen any such.  Have they gone the way of the dodo now that internet advertising is so widespread, or are there any in the SW somewhere during the winter months?

We're considering updating from our 99 HR Endeavor to a new diesel pusher, but still in the "lower" price ranges.

p.s. not sure if this would be the best forum to ask this, but hopefully someone will know the answer.  Thanks in advance.

If you're buying used, I'd go with Quartzsite and go early and start hitting all the locations.  If you're buying new, all the mfgs. will have factory reps at the Pamona Show and the biggest discounts on new.  We've been to both, several times and while both are completely different, they're both a lot of fun.

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

If you go to "Q", do your due diligence. All dealers in "Q" are transient and are just there for the season. Finding some of them from year to year come and go. Also check to see where their base dealership is, if any. Yuma used to have "sales" when the transient dealers set up shop there for the season. But for about the last three years there have been no transients. Le Mesa pulled out at the end of 2015-2016 season and the lot is now for sale. And what I said above about doing your homework also pertains in Yuma. I've seen too many folks in 14 seasons at Yuma get ripped off.

Quartzsite lost it's reputation for good deals when they raised their sales tax beyond 10%, over and above the fees they were already charging for the privilege of setting up shop in their town.

Yes, the California border is only a few miles away, but the sales tax avoidance schemes usually work the other way ... CA dealers delivering the motorhome just across the state line in AZ to avoid CA's sales tax.  I'm not so sure it works the other way around.

Oh, and CA's big RV show is in Pomona, not Pamona.  

We bought our 2000 Residency at the October 1999 Pomona RV show.   We  took possession of our new coach Jan 21,2000 from the RV Peddler dealership in Yuma, AZ.

Good luck with your search for a new RV and Safe Travels:)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

14 hours ago, tdst51 said:

You might google up a little place by the name of Quartzsite.

It is my personal observation that there few, if any, bargains on RVs in Quartzsite.  If you want to get the best deal on an RV in Arizona, you need to be there in May.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Quartzsite lost it's reputation for good deals when they raised their sales tax beyond 10%, over and above the fees they were already charging for the privilege of setting up shop in their town.

Yes, the California border is only a few miles away, but the sales tax avoidance schemes usually work the other way ... CA dealers delivering the motorhome just across the state line in AZ to avoid CA's sales tax.  I'm not so sure it works the other way around.

Oh, and CA's big RV show is in Pomona, not Pamona.  

You said that with a funny accent!  LOL

2017 Grand Design Momentum 376TH pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, dually, longbed

Thanks for the info, everyone.  I've seen plenty of shows around, and of course the online sales sites like RV Trader (that's how we found the MH we've got now), but thought when we're down in the SW we'd look around a bit, just in case we spot something we like.

I prefer buying from a previous owner on Craigslist rather than from any dealer. I can usually  tell if the Rv has been lovingly looked after by a previous owner compared to a dealer who is only looking to get the best deal for themselves.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

10 hours ago, Jimalberta said:

I prefer buying from a previous owner on Craigslist rather than from any dealer. I can usually  tell if the Rv has been lovingly looked after by a previous owner compared to a dealer who is only looking to get the best deal for themselves.

What's wrong with looking to get the best deal for themselves?  Isn't that what a previous owner is doing?  Isn't that what the buyer is doing?  Isn't that what you do?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

18 hours ago, pjstough said:

It is my personal observation that there few, if any, bargains on RVs in Quartzsite. 

I'd have to agree with this.  At the very minimum, you need to know what you want and what you should be paying for it.

Case in point:  Many years ago, we were looking for a particular brand of fifth wheel.  Saw it at a dealer in Phoenix and that dealer had the original factory-provided MSRP sheet inside, so we knew what that price was.  Saw the exact same fifth wheel in Quartzsite -- for $10,000 MORE than the MSRP!  Of course, this dealer didn't have the MSRP sheet in it, so if you didn't know better, you might think you were getting a good deal.

Also, many of the salespeople in Q are just hired for the season, so they don't necessarily know anything about RVs or RVing....they're just warm bodies there to make a sale.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I prefer buying from a previous owner on Craigslist rather than from any dealer.

But then you have the problem of selling your rig.  There are good deals that way, of course, although some of them seem kind of predatory -the buy it from the grieving widow sort of thing.  But getting rid of our old rig would be a problem.  The last (and only) time we moved up we were able to get rid of our old Trek, and we'd run it long enough it wasn't worth much anyway.

Case in point:  Many years ago, we were looking for a particular brand of fifth wheel.  Saw it at a dealer in Phoenix and that dealer had the original factory-provided MSRP sheet inside, so we knew what that price was.  Saw the exact same fifth wheel in Quartzsite -- for $10,000 MORE than the MSRP!  Of course, this dealer didn't have the MSRP sheet in it, so if you didn't know better, you might think you were getting a good deal.

This sort of thing always reminds me of a reel-to-reel tape recorder (pre-cassette days) I wanted as a kid.  It was at Woolworth's for $8.99.  Then it went "on sale" for $9.99.  A few weeks later it was on "Special sale" for $11.99, and finally, "pre-Christmas sale" for $13.99.  Gave me a lesson in "sales".

Archived