Torn Between Two

Smokey27

Wife and I are ready to purchase our first RV. We're newly retired and ready to see this country. After numerous months of shopping, comparing, & researching, we have come down to 2 almost identical Gas class A's. Both 2017s from the same parent company, The Fleetwood Bounder 36Y & The Holiday Rambler 36X, Drive train & system capacities & price all identical. My indecision is in a few differences.

The Bounder has the XL package, the benefit being a Onan 7.0kW Generator, a 50amp power cord reel, separate screen for the side & rear camera system.

The Rambler has a Winegard Stationary Dss Satelite & Washer/Dryer Combo. (Wife & I agree the washer isn't a must)

All in All the only thing that is hanging me up I guess is ... is the 7.0 generator that much more of a benefit ?

Hands down, the Bounder. The generator allows you to do boondocking but the power cord reel you will really appreciate. Those 50a cords are heavy................ We added one to our MH when we bought it, wasn't an option. If you have any question about this take go to the dealer and try handling a 50a power cord.

5 hours ago, Smokey27 said:

Both 2017s from the same parent company, The Fleetwood Bounder 36Y & The Holiday Rambler 36X, Drive train & system capacities & price all identical.

You are incorrect about the two being from the same manufacturer. The Bounder is indeed built by Fleetwood but the Holiday Rambler is a product of the Holiday Rambler is built by the Monaco Coach Corporation. These are competing companies. Neither of them would be my first choice if I were buying a gas powered class A today. I would look first at Tiffin's Allegro,  the Newmar Canyon Star or Bay Star,  and at the gasoline powered coaches from Winnebago as all 3 of these companies have excellent reputations that exceed those of either of your present choices. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

12 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

You are incorrect about the two being from the same manufacturer. The Bounder is indeed built by Fleetwood but the Holiday Rambler is a product of the Holiday Rambler is built by the Monaco Coach Corporation. These are competing companies. 

Sorry Kirk you are incorrect this time. :) The profit from both Company's go into the same pocket
Fleetwood is owned by REV Group Inc..

Under the company umbrella, the REV Recreation Group is made up of some of the world’s most recognized and admired RV brands. Each brand — American Coach, Fleetwood RV, Holiday Rambler, Monaco Coach, Renegade RV and Midwest Automotive Designs — remains distinct, while together the group is a celebration of the rich heritage and future promise of the greatest manufacturers in the RV industry.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Smokey27, I would like to suggest you run out to the Hershey RV show next month.We bought a new Class C last year and having spent 3 days at Hershey, we were able to affirm our final decision. There are a ton of Class As on display at Hershey. As long as the dealer and manufacturer will back up the unit, both Bounder and HR are tried and true names. Tons of satisfied owners of both that don't post because they haven't had any major problems. We didn't  buy at the show last year, but from a local dealer the following month. Oct was a good month to buy as the new model year was out but the season was winding down and we got 24% off MSRP.

There must be a reason I see a lot of Bounders on the road. I own a high end Fleetwood product , an American Eagle,  and and have not regretted buying it. Fleetwood supplies excellent support for their products.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

On 8/19/2017 at 7:39 AM, Biker56 said:

Sorry Kirk you are incorrect this time. :) The profit from both Company's go into the same pocket

You are correct. I seem to have missed it when REV Group took over Monaco Coach.  They theoretically at least, still operate autonomously but..............

Thanks! 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

50A power cord and as mentioned the higher output generator provides you with more capability for non power situations. You could also negotiate the install of a Winegard Travler, or other dish, into the purchase. 

Only you two can decide which layout and interior of a coach fits your need the best. That being said, I would second taken a close look at the Newmar gas model line up... If you order from the factory, they will also allow some adjustments to the build process for things you may want to change. (Not a lot of items, but for sure it is worth considering as far as an mod's you might want to ask for...) And, taking delivery of a new coach at Newmar, allows you to try things out for a few days, a week, whatever - and maybe avoid a trip back for any new coach touch up's at say a dealer. Newmar does a good job, so I've read, on at factory pick-up experience:)!

But, does not matter, if the other two have already won the race as to what the two of you want:)!

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived