Transmission problem

dblr

We have a 2001 Kenworth T2000 with the 3 pedal Eaton 10 speed trans. Started getting the red light that flashes service but was able to get it to a dealer for repair, or so I thought. They scanned and found all low voltage faults and we ended up replacing all 4 batteries but still having issues, when we start out for the day all is fine but when we get close to our destination it seems to stay in the high range. If it sits for a while it will reset enough to at least get in our site and after overnight all seems fine again. Any ideas??? Is it air or electrical to go from low to high range, we are at least close to home and our local guy but am I missing something simple? Thanks for any help.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

It uses air to shift between high and low ranges.  Electrically controlled solenoids control the air flow for the h/l range shift.  Not uncommon for those components to need to be replaced.  I did all of mine last year, not a hard job.

But, you should pull the codes first.  Have you done that since the most recent occurrence of the problem?

There are some great and easy to follow troubleshooting guides from Eaton for your transmission.  You may want to look those up.

As Shifted said you can find service and diagnostic manuals at roadranger.com.  Go to the literature centre and search your transmission model.  Basically you find out the code then follow the diagnostic tree for that part to determine whether you have a part failure or a wiring issue.  Looks like a lot can be checked with not much more than an ohm meter.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Consider the tranny Ecm power supply.  It's not expensive part. It connects to the batt bank with an inline fuse. It's located on top of the tranny and connects to tranny ecm. Once accessed it's easy change   

Eaton told me it's a common problem. 

I changed it when I replaced the xy shifter  which also can cause all  sorts of strange issues  like what you have  same happened to ours Xy fixed it  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

You seem to have a heat induced issue (IMO).  As solenoids are sensitive to heat, I'd begin by investigating that.  Could they simply be better insulated from a heat source near them?  You probably need to insure you are getting full voltage at the solenoid and work your way back from there.  Diagnosis is much cheaper than throwing darts in the dark.

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

I agree check all grounds. Also if I shift to neutral while still rolling, it sometimes gets confused and stuck in gear. I have to disconnect the batteries and reconnect. A real pain on the T2000. Last time I let it sit and the next day when the air pressure went away it worked. Next time I may shut it down and empty the tanks then restart. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Don't forget there is an air filter regulator on the rear of the transmission. It's usually on the top right corner of the transmission if I remember correctly. I'm not sure this is your problem, however it's a part forgotten about. 

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Thanks all great suggestions, it is at my local shop and will relay all ideas if they hit a dead end to them, but I have more confidence with them then I did with the dealer.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

• 3 weeks later...

Still having issues and of course nothing acts up while the shop has it. When the service light flashes it appears to be sending a 25 code according to the flash sequence which means no faults, I feel it is the xy shifter so trying now to schedule to get changed. Thanks for all the suggestions of what to look for.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

17 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Send scrap a PM and ask him about it. That joker has forgotten more about Eaton's than I will ever know.

Well I tried to pm but looks like he is not set up to receive pm's or maybe his pm's might be full.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Oops!  Fixed it...........There were some 9 year old ones in there!  But really I've got nuthin on this one though. :(  Going with your gut is probably the best place to start.  Filter regulator, range solenoid above a good checks, or it could end up being hard parts in the range cylinder.

Just went back and read the original post.  Duh.....  It seems to stay in the high range, so, it likely has nothing to do with the x-y shifter.

I had the opposite situation, where it would only run up to 5th.  It takes a long time to get anywhere in 5th.  Fortunately, it happened when I was out for a Saturday run to warm the fluids.  It was indeed the high/low, as Scrap suggested.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

6 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Just went back and read the original post.  Duh.....  It seems to stay in the high range, so, it likely has nothing to do with the x-y shifter.

I had the opposite situation, where it would only run up to 5th.  It takes a long time to get anywhere in 5th.  Fortunately, it happened when I was out for a Saturday run to warm the fluids.  It was indeed the high/low, as Scrap suggested.

This is what happened the first time it happened would not go above 5th and as you said SLOW, disconnected the batteries and it reset and worked fine until we got off the turnpike then that is when it stayed in high range. Limped it home and it would act up in the high range then sometime decide to drop to low again so I am confused. The air dryer filter has not been changed since we owned it and this has been recommended to get done also but not sure if it would affect my issue. Thanks again for any help and info.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I'll go out on a limb and say the issue is a torn o-ring in the hi-lo shifter.  It won't heal itself.

When I got ours fixed, I took it to the local Mack dealer, and labor ate a hole in my wallet.  I should have taken out the seats and floor before taking it over.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

This topic may be dead, but just in case...

It sounds like you're saying that no errors come up, but that the truck won't shift out of high range sometimes.  The possible culprits are:

Transmission mounted air pressure regulator/filter
Air line to the transmission
Range shift solenoid
Range shift valve and associated components
Range shift fork
Range shift synchronizer assembly (low/high synchros and clutch)

There are step by step procedures to test everything.  Replacing the regulator/filter, solenoid and valve is pretty easy to do.  Maybe 30 minutes at a moderate pace.  All accessible without taking anything extra apart.  Personally, I would consider doing those anyway if they haven't been done already.

The shift fork and synchronizer assembly can only be done by taking the back half of the transmission case off.  It's a bigger job.  Doable at home, but it may be more than you want to get into.  If the easy to replace components make no difference, I would have a shop pull the driveshaft and then pull the back case cover off and check the range synchronizers and fork.  Either of those can cause any number of problems with range shifting.

The range synchronizers and synchronizer  clutch do wear out, so it should be considered a normal maintenance item over the long term.

Ok just got the truck back from the shop and all is well again, I think a few of you here were right on the money with your thoughts, Final result was a new shift solenoid and filter regulator ,parts and labor ran $635. Considering the shop told me they were 3 1/2 weeks out with repairs ( small shop with only 3 employees ) so I asked if I could just leave it incase they had a chance to get to it sooner, a week and half later it was ready, wife is happy with what we felt a bill not to bad and her favorite trip of the year still intact, all is good. Thanks for all the suggestions, this site is truly one of the most helpful one  I use.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived