Wood bed

runaway parents

Just thought I would throw this out there the wood bed on our truck  will be coming off next spring you newbie's that has got a truck but cant afford a bed this will get you buy till you can afford to buy a steel one  I would rather put it on another truck than to cut it up for fire wood. it was at the west coast rally 2 years ago. let me know if interested.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:28 PM, runaway parents said:

Just thought I would throw this out there the wood bed on our truck  will be coming off next spring you newbie's that has got a truck but cant afford a bed this will get you buy till you can afford to buy a steel one  I would rather put it on another truck than to cut it up for fire wood. it was at the west coast rally 2 years ago. let me know if interested.

Hi runaway,

Is the bed of your truck the same one that was used in one of the pictures with different folks on it ? If that is the same bed, it will make someone a nice looking bed for their truck ? Your bed encouraged me to do a wooden bed for my truck.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I went looking for photos from past West  Coast Rallies but so far can't find them.  Can someone paste a link please?  Or better yet, photos of the wood bed.

On the one hand I might be interested but on the other hand, we live on the east coast so I doubt we will make a trip over to take delivery.  (but you just never know what might happen so I expressed interest anyway)

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Thanks Chad yup this is it .Now it is a little faded but can be spruced up. I found a metal bed that I am going to rebuild so I can haul a vehicle could not resist the price $350.00 bucks . Should have new bed installed buy next years west coast rally. May haul wood bed to rally with me if somebody is interested. don't want to pull it off till I have new one ready to go on

On the wood bed topic:

Marc Jones and I are doing a presentation at the HDT Rally on bed building. I'd LOVE to get some pictures of some wood beds, since we will be covering that. In particular, how it was framed if anyone has those pics.  I'd frame it very similar to steel, but there are some changes due to the structural strength of the base materials....

You can contact me privately, if you like. No PM.  jackdanmayer  AT gmail.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Ok so let me describe to you all how I built my bed . laid 4x6s across frame for the deck boards laid 2x10s length wise. this bed was not designed to haul any thing heavy like a car. The corner brackets are made out of flat bar that I used my forge to bend. all of the deck boards are bolted down using 1/2x6 inch lag bolts .I also used all thread bolts to bolt it threw the 4x6s and threw the angle iron that was used to attach the commercial fifth wheel to. now I need to tell you guys this when I designed   this bed the purpose for  building it was to protect the trailer from flying rocks not to haul heavy loads . It was intended to get us buy and on the road till I could afford to get bed built to be able to haul a car or jeep on it. tomorrow I am headed down below Yakima to pick up my orchard bed that I am going to repurpose. Some time this weekend I will try to post some pictures of my wood bed. 

Archived