Purogene for Potable Water Systems?

• 1 year later...

I'm new here. I generally appreciate the help from seasoned RV'ers. I was interested in this topic brought up by Brunsje. As I leave this discussion I can only say I was surprised by the tone, disrespect and even a little arrogance from some Major Contributors. Almost leaves a person afraid to ask the proverbial "dumb question."  I did at least appreciate responses from SKP#:138161 and SKP#:79313.

Blazer,

Some of us get a little grumpy from time to time but for the most part we are a friendly, helpful group. Please, do start a new thread with your questions and we'll try to be helpful.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Blazer said:

Almost leaves a person afraid to ask the proverbial "dumb question."

Welcome to the forums! You seem to have chosen a thread to begin reading with which has a couple of contributors who tend to dislike each other, or seem to. Like any group as large as this one, we do occasionally have disagreements but it really isn't common and most are quickly forgotten. Do not hesitate to start a new thread with any questions that you may have as it is very unlikely that you will run afoul of anyone. We are here to help so do post your questions and do not worry about a rare cross word. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

6 hours ago, Blazer said:

I'm new here. I generally appreciate the help from seasoned RV'ers. I was interested in this topic brought up by Brunsje. As I leave this discussion I can only say I was surprised by the tone, disrespect and even a little arrogance from some Major Contributors. Almost leaves a person afraid to ask the proverbial "dumb question."  I did at least appreciate responses from SKP#:138161 and SKP#:79313.

Blazer, I found this forum just a little different from some others related to RVing that I visit.  I initially signed up on this one due to the fact we were returning to the full time life style.  

The bottom line here is there is some good information from folks that are currently full timing.  There is also a lot of conflicting or outdated information from some folks that used to full time but no longer are living that lifestyle.  Add that with a mix of folks from all different walks of life and it ends up being a huge wide range of views.  It gets pretty "spicey" from time to time.  

I wouldn't stay away or not ask questions.  Just pick what advise you want to follow and decide how you want to go about RVing.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Not that it has any bearing on this thread but being a retired airline person I can’t resist replying to the comments about airline water tanks. They are cleaned and treated during heavy “D” checks occurring every 6-10 years. The tanks are filled at local stations and we never ever drank from aircraft water. Those tanks might have water from anywhere on the planet so we only drank bottled water. On  some foreign airlines that do not give you an unopened bottle I have seen attendants filling bottles from aircraft tanks then pouring into your glass.On my RV I sanitize once or twice a year and drink bottled water.

• 4 weeks later...

When I see a bunch of claims for a product, I want to know what the product contains before i believe any of them.  Here is the SDS or  Safely Data Sheet for this product:  https://p11.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.skygeek.com/ssl/MSDS/bio-cide-pur0genegl-purogene-40010-potable-water-treatment-amp-tank-disinfectant-1-gallon-jug.pdf

As it shows and a couple others have pointed out, it contains sodium chlorite.  Beach is mostly sodium hypochlorite.  Note that both contain chlorine, which is why both kill bacteria and other things. So we are really talking about very similar chemicals.

As far as "seals" go, I have sanitized my fresh water system every few months by dumping a couple of cups of regular Chlorox in my tank and letting it set for a while  Then I flush it out or use it for things like washing dishes and refill with fresh water.  I let me whole-house water filter take care of most things, and I have been drinking the water from my tanks for 7 years.  Have not gotten sick from it or died yet.  And to my knowledge, whatever seals I have are working just fine because I have not had any water system leaks.