Freedomtailer

Best insulated slide-outs

28 posts in this topic

Some time back I was researching foil backed radiant barrier for heat reflection and insulation in my metal building/shop.  I'm in the SW and it gets 100s here.  I talked to a guy that was the owner of a company that manufactured some radiant barrier.  I suggested scenarios to gain some idea of R Values with his product.  The reflective properties stayed pretty much the same.  With the bubble style foil on 1 side and white vinyl on the other, the R value of it at 2" from the metal siding was R2, moved it to 8" from the siding(inside the building) and the R value increased to R20.  Of course this was just based on my info and NOT on actual conditions and testing, but it did tell me that it was worth the effort to make an AIR SPACE to enhance its ability to perform.  

Wh do I include this story?  Well, this product when installed in slides, will work differently based on the conditions that it is installed in and how much AIR SPACE it has.

The stuff just works for heat reflection and insulation, how well is another matter.

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Well, this product when installed in slides, will work differently based on the conditions that it is installed in and how much AIR SPACE it has.

That was the gist of the article that I quoted in my previous post.  The foil/foam product itself has a relatively low R-value, but you can create an assembly with it that has a much higher R-value. No doubt the radiant barrier aspect of it also adds value, but it shows how tough it is for us to decipher manufacturers claims. 

Insulation in trailers is a tricky subject.....the R value of the insulation material is discussed but I've only seen one comment regarding the R value of the whole (floor/walls/roof/window) assembly......then there is the build quality.......then there is the heat source.....then there is condensation.

The walls( R10), floor (R5),  roof (R10) in our slides is just about useless with alum. framing (thermal bridging) 16"O.C.  At 65F inside and 25F outside 4" inches of snow will melt off the slides in 12 hours.

Shooting the trailer with a FLIR camera was an eye opener.  Heat loss through AC ducting and vents was the first thing dealt with, next was (temporary with Velcro) 1" EPDM foam on the top of the slides and 1 1/2 XPS on the bottom of the slides. Right now I'm making 2" XPS (R10) panels for the bottom of the trailer and 1" (R5) for the steel frame.  I still have to look at the leakage around the slides especially along the bottom and then the compartment doors.