Solar Charge Controller Recommendation

• 5 months later...
On 8/11/2017 at 8:21 PM, trailertraveler said:

Thanks for the link!!! I am curious about this statement in the ProStar Manual: "CAUTION:  Equipment Damage. Do not wire any AC inverter to the load terminals of the ProStar.  Damage to the load control circuit may result."

This raises the question of why, and whether any inverter can be powered through the load terminals of a solar control?

I think the answer, clearly, is no. If it's electric, and it's in a motor home, and it's not on shore power, it's running on the house batteries. Whether it's on 12vdc or 120vac from the inverter, the POWER is coming from the batteries.

I think the idea is you can use a lot more AC stuff (hair dryers, TVs, wall warts for charging computers and phones) during the day because the panels are charging the batteries. But you might want to shut down the amp-hogs and let the batteries top off for the evening. My system will be 500 watts (two panels) and 36 volts, which, of course will be stepped down by the controller (MPPT) but with that much juice coming from the panels, I suspect charging will not be glacial. 3000/6000 inverter.

Don't forget - LED lighting everywhere.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:32 AM, OldMan said:

I think the answer, clearly, is no. If it's electric, and it's in a motor home, and it's not on shore power, it's running on the house batteries. Whether it's on 12vdc or 120vac from the inverter, the POWER is coming from the batteries.

I think the idea is you can use a lot more AC stuff (hair dryers, TVs, wall warts for charging computers and phones) during the day because the panels are charging the batteries. But you might want to shut down the amp-hogs and let the batteries top off for the evening. My system will be 500 watts (two panels) and 36 volts, which, of course will be stepped down by the controller (MPPT) but with that much juice coming from the panels, I suspect charging will not be glacial. 3000/6000 inverter.

Don't forget - LED lighting everywhere.

This is an old thread, and not sure quite what you were saying, but in regard to traveltrailers question....

The "load" outputs on a solar controller "are" capable of powering a low current device and is used as a low voltage cut-off directly connected to your battery bank. Ie., you want to run a lightbulb or such other in a bay (where your controller is likely installed)... maybe to help keep temps up above freezing. That load can be passed through the solar controller. One your battery level drops to a set low voltage level then the load is cut to prevent over-discharge. 

Archived