Anderson 5th wheel Hitch model #3200

Phil Saran

We are selling our MH and moving over to a 5th wheel/diesel truck.  I was looking at a review of the Anderson #3200 5th wheel hitch (aluminum)vs the B&W steel 5th wheel hitch.

Anyone have the Anderson?  Opinions? Comments pro or con?

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

We towed our first 12K miles with an Andersen Ultimate and loved it. Search this and other RV forums using both the correct spelling (Andersen with an "e") and the incorrect spelling (with an "o") and you will find dozens if not hundreds of posts. Now using a PullRite OE series to fit the Ford puck system, I can tell you that the Andersen is both quieter and lower maintenance. The PullRite, though, is easier to hitch up.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Interesting vid.  I have the Andersen as well and couldn't be happier.  I do see his point about bed space.  Fortunately, I don't have his concern as I only store things in the bed that can weather the elements, and that's mostly fire wood and my wood blocking materials.  As far as extending jacks to enable coupling, that was a stretch, IMHO.  I always have blocks under my front landing gear, and usually the remaining four jacks as well, simply to provide a sturdier platform while camping for extended periods. Finally, he mentioned the challenge of backing onto the Andersen.  His point is well taken if you do not have backing skills, or never plan on acquiring them.

All in all, a  good video, and as LWH stated, it's a different perspective...always a good thing. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I have the Andersen (steel version) and couldn't be happier with it.

The bed space is similar to a standard 5W hitch but much easier to remove and install...I can do it by myself as a 5'5 110# woman. I also don't have much in the bed of my truck....cooler, camp box, sewer hose box and extra propane tanks, plus the dogs! It all fits fine.

Hitching and unhitching is easy (I love that I can see the ball as I back up) and again I can do it alone without any help. I don't see a huge issue with raising the jacks to get under it...maybe 2-3" more than with a standard 5W hitch. Maybe I'm used to it and don't see it as abnormal as I am used to GN hitches and horse trailers.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

I have the B&W Companion hitch and cannot think of any reason to consider any other. I have one in our f250 and a F350 dually. I really like the turnover ball for using goosenecks when not towing our RV. And nothing in the bed of the truck when the companion is not in use is a big plus for me. 

15 hours ago, etu said:

I have the B&W Companion hitch and cannot think of any reason to consider any other. I have one in our f250 and a F350 dually. I really like the turnover ball for using goosenecks when not towing our RV. And nothing in the bed of the truck when the companion is not in use is a big plus for me. 

With the Anderson the turn over ball would remain so horse trailers and others of that type are still on the agenda.  The difference is that the Anderson is much lighter and easier to take in and out of your bed.  I used to just carry my Companion hitch to the pick up but now I try and use a wheel barrow to get it close enough to maneuver into place in the bed and would not miss doing this at all.

Later,
J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

• 2 weeks later...

We have an Anderson and really like it.   It is very easy to install and remove whenever you need the full truck bed.

Also, you can hook up at nearly any angle.  But, the BIG plus to the Anderson is that you absolutely can not drop the trailer on to the truck.    You lower the hitch onto the ball and latch it.    

Archived