Snort

11 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

Any issues with error codes on the Surge Guard? 

I haven't used my Surge Guard with the Honda as yet as I've only had the Honda for about a month but will make up a bonding connector if I must. Testing is on my agenda but hasn't happened yet. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

22 hours ago, freestoneangler said:

...I have the Progressive Industries EMS-PT-30X.  I'll have to see how it plays with Honda inverter generators...

From what I have read on boating and other RV forums, the Honda 1000 and 2000 inverter generators do not have the neutral bonded to ground. The small Yamahas like my 2400 do not either. If there is a ground lug on the generator and a recommendation to connect it to a rod driven into the ground (which was mentioned in some of the discussions about the Hondas), then I think you will find that the generator does not have the neutral bonded to ground.  The surge/EMS systems that protect from an open ground will not pass the power. I read one reference to damage potentially occurring to the generator if a bonding plug is used. I discussed this issue with Yamaha regarding the 2400is and they were emphatic not to use a bonding plug. That discussion was several years ago so I do not know if it is relevant to the newest models. 

• 11 months later...

I bought a Honda 2200i to run our camper.  When I bought it, I wanted to know if one would run my ac or if I needed to buy the companion.  I fired it up, turned on the a/c and it worked just fine.  Turned on the overhead fan, left the fridge running on ac and everything worked fine.  It was 90 degrees out so I figured it would be a good test.  It cooled our rv down to 75, fan running, fridge running and the inverter/gen ran just fine.  I had the switch set to eco mode also.  I don't think it ever slowed down from full run though but the noise did not get bad at all, nice and quiet generator.  Total run time, 4.5 hours before tank went dry.  I did not try running anything else, did have one overhead light on, did not try the microwave.  My rv is a 30 amp model.  The progressive EMS I installed behind the fuse panel did not like the generator.  Would not pass any 'lectricity until I turned it off.  So, should I make the neutral to ground jumper plug to eliminate this problem, or just leave it off when running the generator?  I may just leave it as is for now, we don't do much dispersed camping and really don't think we will do much.  Biggest reason I got this is for the occasional dispersed camping, is to supply power to 2 CPAPs.  On eco mode, it will run them all night, windows open and small fan running if needed.

Back to the OP, I think your small camper would do fine on a Honda 2200i since mine is a 32 footer and it works great.  But, my elevation used so far is 1,100ft.  Find a friend that has one and give it a try.  If your close to me in ND, I'd let ya use if for a couple nights for a test run.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 9 months later...

Although everyone asks about running air on gen, in my many years of dry camping I find I'm usually the only one doing that.  Most folks just leave for the day, or sweat it out.  It becomes a hassle getting gas when you're not near a filling station, and you'll need lots of it.  

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

Although everyone asks about running air on gen, in my many years of dry camping I find I'm usually the only one doing that.  Most folks just leave for the day, or sweat it out.  It becomes a hassle getting gas when you're not near a filling station, and you'll need lots of it.  

2X.  I dry camped without a generator for years, as long a 91 day in a row.  I do have 320 watts of solar, 480 if I dig out a portable panel. 

That said, I've decided I wanted a bit of backup.  Like you, I don't want to mess with gasoline, both storage & the problems created by the ethanol mix.  I purchased a Ryobi 900/700 propane only inverter generator.  While it won't run my microwave or air conditioner, it does recharge the batteries after a string of cloudy days or when parking in the shade.  Runs on either 1 pound disposable cans or, with a supplied hose, standard propane tanks.  

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

On 5/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, hemsteadc said:

Yes sir I get that but I've heard that you have to use one of the smaller generators to work with the new trailers but I've got this big beautiful 5000 watt generator and I want to make sure that if I use this on a new trailer it won't screw up anything.

55 minutes ago, chief916 said:

Yes sir I get that but I've heard that you have to use one of the smaller generators to work with the new trailers but I've got this big beautiful 5000 watt generator and I want to make sure that if I use this on a new trailer it won't screw up anything.

I'm not sure just what it is that you mean by smaller generators, but I'll guess that you are referring to one of the inverter-generators that are generally smaller, make less noise, and are far more fuel efficient, as opposed to the noisy, construction site type of generators. If that is true then there is nothing about what you have now that will harm your new RV but the modern, solid state circuitry that is becoming common performs better with one of the inverter-generators because the power is cleaner and the voltage is better controlled. The size of your generator and the larger output will do nothing harmful to any of the new RVs.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2018 at 12:47 AM, time_traveler said:

I bought a Predator 3500 from Harbor Frieght $649 it works great, very quiet 57 Dbs and has no problem powering my 13,500 A/C 

After testing the Honda and a Champion generator.....of which both were terribly loud, I took time travelers comment to heart.  The Predator is a perfect fit.  When I first started it I thought it was broken because there was very little noise coming from it and it was running one of my 15k air conditioners in eco mode.  Plus I can move by myself whereas I needed help to move the other two gens.  I can also attach to a similar Predator and it will double duty with the first one.  I have not seen any reason to do that just yet.