Vision Insurance Rippoff

Wife has BS/BC insurance which includes vision. We went to SVS chain to get new glasses which are supposed to be covered under insurance. So we basically get a frame allowance of $120 which covers a lot of frame choices. Now the lens were also partially covered, but with all the options you could think of, the price still came to +$500. So trying to make this crazy system work for us, we took the covered/free frames from SVS (they were surprised and even had to call someone to get approval) and we went to Walmart to order the identical all option lens and paid the no insurance price of $255. The Opt tried to get me to purchase glasses, but I refused to give up my $2 readers from Dollar General.

I learned just cause you have insurance, don't assume it's a good deal.

Greg

How is the insurance company ripping you off?  There coverage terms are laid out in your policy.  Your problem seems to be with optical company.  And no one forces you to take all of the 'options' that the sells people promote.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

18 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

How is the insurance company ripping you off?  There coverage terms are laid out in your policy.  Your problem seems to be with optical company.  And no one forces you to take all of the 'options' that the sells people promote.

I can only assume this is not Barb. :) If the wife wants all option lens, then we get all option lens. The old story if the wife ain't happy..... Actually blended progressive bi-focals and transition tinting were the main options we got, which are important.

Yes, SVS is ripping us off, and so was another covered local optical center which was very close in the high price.

Greg

NO, it is Barb.  Again, the problem you have is with the provider, not the insurance company so why blame the insurance company for an over-pricing optical company?  I assume there were several companies that you could have gone to?  I know ours is good a a variety of different companies.    I have the progressive bi-focals, but declined the transition tinting because I just get clip-ons that work just fine for $5 a pair at the Mesa Marketplace each winter (actually get 2-3 pairs, 1 for car, 1 for RV, 1 extra).    

How about editing the thread title to reflect your real complaint.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I'm not complaining about the insurance company here. My complaint is the ripoff going on just because a person has insurance. The title is spot on. I had the same issue with dental insurance this last winter in Az. A local dentist wanted $65 for a new patient cleaning, when he found out I had insurance, he increased the price to $180. Again, consumers with insurance being ripped off, I'm not blaming BS/BC here at all.

Greg

11 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

I'm not complaining about the insurance company here. My complaint is the ripoff going on just because a person has insurance. The title is spot on. I had the same issue with dental insurance this last winter in Az. A local dentist wanted $65 for a new patient cleaning, when he found out I had insurance, he increased the price to $180. Again, consumers with insurance being ripped off, I'm not blaming BS/BC here at all.

Greg

Wow!  But there are different prices.  The regular price and the price the insurance company negotiated.  Every policy is different, so you would again need to look into the benefits.  Mine covers 2 cleanings a year at N/C.  But go 1 day short of 6 months and the claim will be denied.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same issue, with former employer's vision insurance, $669 for one pair of glasses. Next time they will not cover the type of frames that I wanted. They had given a $130 frame allowance in the past. That is a very common dental plan with a $1,000 annual limit.

I just bought glasses, eye exam, etc. Progressive lenses, no tinting. We have no vision insurance. 786.00. These we're OSHA approved safety glasses also. Standard "street" glasses would be less costly. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived